Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why have a sleep study during the day?
Question 
Why have a sleep study during the day?
A friend of mine recently went for his sleep study, where they told him that he had sleep apnea, which of course we already knew. Today he received a call to return to the clinic for another test, but this time it's during the day. They want him there at 8 AM and he must stay until 4 PM. Apparently they want him to take 4 or 5, 20 minute naps throughout the day. When he asked why, they wouldn't tell him. Does anybody have any idea why they would follow up with a daytime sleep study? Could it be that they are trying to see if he falls asleep during the day? Is his driver's license in jeopardy? I can think of no other explanation.

Any ideas?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why have a sleep study during the day?
(07-27-2012, 05:58 PM)EyesWideOpen Wrote: Any ideas?
MSLT Multiple Sleep Latency Test.
A nap study that measures how quickly you fall asleep during the day.
It is used primarily to detect narcolepsy.

Post Reply Post Reply
Apea Board wiki - Multiple Sleep Latency Test
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...%28MSLT%29
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank-you Zonk. It sure seems like this is what they are investigating.

This is a great place to chat! Thanks again. I will pass along your finding to my friend.

All the best,

EyesWideOpen
Post Reply Post Reply
He shouldn't worry about his drivers license. Doctors in the US are much to lazy to deal with the DMV.
Tell him to take snacks and something to read.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2012, 08:27 AM)zimlich Wrote: He shouldn't worry about his drivers license. Doctors in the US are much to lazy to deal with the DMV.
Tell him to take snacks and something to read.

Having dealt with the DMV for many years, I certainly would not blame doctors and call them lazy! The DMV is such an incompetent group of people that whole industries have sprung up around people paying other people to go to the DMV for them. I can only imagine what it would take for a doctor to have to report a patient for anything!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-27-2012, 06:19 PM)zonk Wrote:
(07-27-2012, 05:58 PM)EyesWideOpen Wrote: Any ideas?
MSLT Multiple Sleep Latency Test.
A nap study that measures how quickly you fall asleep during the day.
It is used primarily to detect narcolepsy.

I think it is often used to measure how the apnea is affecting an apneac. It might be some sort of insurance BS as well. Maybe his apnea wasn't "bad enough" to qualify for a CPAP machine. Or someone milking the system.

I'd suggest he call up and ask some questions and figure out whether it's really in his best interest to take the test.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Doesn't the sleep test covered by the health system in Canada. I've read somewhere that the ADP (Assistive Devices Program) pays 75% of the equipments costs and 100% if receiving social assistance benefits.
Post Reply Post Reply
MSLT is usually done to see if you have Narcolepsy....they're looking for you to fall asleep too quickly and have REM at onset of sleep. (SOREM). Have
two of them in the study, and its over. So if you get all 5 naps in, its usually a sign that it didn't happen. Unless they did something wrong...or you had to do
all 5 to have 2.

I did an MSLT back on December 3rd, 2010. Initial conclusion was latency was low, but there were no REMs. However, the DSM says you're supposed to have patient stop taking REM suppressing medication 2 weeks before the test. I wasn't told to stop any of my meds. Postings online elsewhere, have said that Provigil suppresses REM and is one of the things that should be stopped. Not sure where Lunesta falls in....not sure, but it took a week after stopping Lunesta and starting my new meds, before I could sleep most of the night again.

Though apparently naps 3 & 5 had indication of SOREM, but my jaw drops which then causes me to clench my jaw (to keep CPAP from blowing out of my mouth)...and the jaw lead is part of how they decide if you're asleep and having REM. And, ignore REM when they don't think you're sleeping.

Anyways...over a year and half after the MSLT...I've been diagnosed with Narcolepsy....

OTOH, there is a different day time sleep test that can affect driver's licenses. I think the cross country truck drivers have to take the test annually. Though I have heard of regular drivers having to take it, though usually its after they've lost their license ... and they're need to prove that they are safe to get their license back. That one is the the MWT. Maintenance of Wakefulness Test.

As I've heard...you sit in a quiet/dimly lit room doing a boring repetitive task over and over again and you have the stay awake the whole time.

The Dreamer.
You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
Post Reply Post Reply
I applied for a day study as I work nights but they said no. End result was I was awake for most of the night. Do they listen, usually not.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 227 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 531 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 118 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 144 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 62 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.