Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] Sleep apnea a sweet spot for innovation?
Sleep apnea a sweet spot for innovation?
Global sleep apnea market will more than double by 2017 to $19.72 billion. One thing notable about the sleep apnea market is that “segment rivalry is high as there are a few well-established firms and several small firms with similar product offerings,” according to the report.

http://medcitynews.com/2012/07/sleep-apn...end-rounds

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep apnea a sweet spot for innovation?
(07-29-2012, 03:36 PM)Dreamcatcher Wrote: Global sleep apnea market will more than double by 2017 to $19.72 billion. One thing notable about the sleep apnea market is that “segment rivalry is high as there are a few well-established firms and several small firms with similar product offerings,” according to the report.

I'm nost sure if I want to buy that.

First, is it not true that the majority of machines, masks and supplies are paid for by insurance, and (at least in the U.S.) the code is the same regardless of which machine the doctor orders? If so, then the manufacturers all get the same price, so where's the incentive to innovate? It can't be financial, so it must be by convincing prescribing doctors to specify the manufacturer's equipment. Respironics comes out with a heated hose because Resmed has one, but convincing doctors that Respironics equipment is just as good as Resmed is more of a sales effort than competition spurring innovation.

Also, moving outside the U.S. market, I continue to be troubled by the seemingly ridiculous disparity in prices for machines, masks and equipment between North America and Australia. It can't be government policies because even if an Australian pays cash for the device it still costs twice as much as in North America. I have yet to hear an explanation for this that makes any sense at all. It sure looks like manufacturers are playing Monopoly, and making sure that the users always land on Boardwalk.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2012, 05:18 PM)JJJ Wrote:
(07-29-2012, 03:36 PM)Dreamcatcher Wrote: Global sleep apnea market will more than double by 2017 to $19.72 billion. One thing notable about the sleep apnea market is that “segment rivalry is high as there are a few well-established firms and several small firms with similar product offerings,” according to the report.

I'm nost sure if I want to buy that.

First, is it not true that the majority of machines, masks and supplies are paid for by insurance, and (at least in the U.S.) the code is the same regardless of which machine the doctor orders? If so, then the manufacturers all get the same price, so where's the incentive to innovate? It can't be financial, so it must be by convincing prescribing doctors to specify the manufacturer's equipment. Respironics comes out with a heated hose because Resmed has one, but convincing doctors that Respironics equipment is just as good as Resmed is more of a sales effort than competition spurring innovation.

Also, moving outside the U.S. market, I continue to be troubled by the seemingly ridiculous disparity in prices for machines, masks and equipment between North America and Australia. It can't be government policies because even if an Australian pays cash for the device it still costs twice as much as in North America. I have yet to hear an explanation for this that makes any sense at all. It sure looks like manufacturers are playing Monopoly, and making sure that the users always land on Boardwalk.

Boardwalk? thats not in monopoly Too-funny I wonder whats on other countries, here its Mayfair.

I find that most medical equipment is bumped up in price, it just depends how greedy the countries goverment is

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2012, 05:18 PM)JJJ Wrote: It can't be government policies because even if an Australian pays cash for the device it still costs twice as much as in North America. I have yet to hear an explanation for this that makes any sense at all.
I agree its not government policy or what Resmed try to tell us that US is a bigger market, even in US there is price difference between on-line and DME brick and mortar prices. I think its to do with Resmed bullying tactics, lack of competition and consumer awareness in Australia. I,m sure if most people boycott Resmed and buy their equipment on-line - we would see things changes dramatically Thinking-about

Post Reply Post Reply
So I am probab;ly going to stir to kettle a bit with this thought. Just warning you! I read recently that the minimum wage in Australia was over $10.00 per hour (they actually said $15, but I am doubting). I have no idea what it is in the USA but last I knew it was something like $8.25 an hour in California. SO what this tells me (assuming that these figures are true) is that they are basing the price of their products on some sort of a formula involving the income (or perhaps disposable income?) of the majority of the target demographic of the country(ies) in which they are doing business. This is a true case of "charge what the market will bear" in the most literal sense. It would love to believe there is some altruistic, government sanctioned, whatever, but I really think it is the greed of the companies to charge just as much as they can get away with.
And in the USA the two most expensive properties are Boardwalk and Park Place! LOL! I swear it has been 30 years or more since I played monopoly. We're gonna have to do that some day soon!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2012, 06:12 PM)mjbearit Wrote: And in the USA the two most expensive properties are Boardwalk and Park Place!

(Off-Topic)
I admit it never dawned on me that Monopoly was different in other places. Here is a fun fact: "According to publisher Hasbro, more than 200 million Monpoly games have been sold worldwide since it was first published by Parker Brothers (now owned by Hasbro) in 1935. Monopoly has been published in 37 languages and sold in 130 countries."

And I found an image of the UK version of the board online and, yes, just about all the properties have different names, even the railroads. Park Place is the same, however. I also noted that the currency was in pounds. Now that I think about it makes sense, of course. If I had more sleep I might have realized all this before mentioning Boardwalk. Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 215 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 284 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 123 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 547 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.