Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Negative for Sleep Apnea?
RE: Negative for Sleep Apnea?
jakthebomb - Please follow up on getting the PLM checked. Even the results said to do that.

Try to get a home sleep study or to get an APAP for a 30 day trial. At the very least, purchase a recording oximeter and wear it while you sleep. If you can document and prove your overnight O2 sat rate drops, the doc is more likely to further pursue testing.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2016, 10:34 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: jakthebomb - Please follow up on getting the PLM checked. Even the results said to do that.

Try to get a home sleep study or to get an APAP for a 30 day trial. At the very least, purchase a recording oximeter and wear it while you sleep. If you can document and prove your overnight O2 sat rate drops, the doc is more likely to further pursue testing.

I don't want to bother with that PLM, I think that was a false positive. Anyways, all treatment for it would be medications. At this point I refuse to take more medications as I am on too many as it is.

I am pushing my Doctor to do somewhat of a trial run with a CPAP. I have to wait and see as he is way too busy and would take over a month to do a follow up appointment. If money wasn't so tight I would have just bought a APAP and call it a day.

Thanks,
Catherine
Post Reply Post Reply
So you are picking and choosing what you want from the diagnosis? Only taking what you want and tossing the rest?

Okay. Since you'll probably do that with our advice, I'm done.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I do believe everyone, to some degree, has sleep apnea. It's just that it might mild with AHI lower than 5 and be considered as normal. It doesn't hurt to use the machine if you can sleep with it on. It's not like taking medicine that has side effects.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would like to encourage you to reconsider jakthebomb- PaulaO2's advice on the follow-up. Periodic leg movement-restless leg syndrome are sleep disorders that you doctor could use to get your insurance to cover CPAP. Sleep-well

My wife has and AHI of less that 1 without therapy but she suffers from Ataxia Telangiectasia, her doctor obtained approval from our insurance by certifying that the "therapy" will improve her condition.

Your doctor can do the came with the PLM/RLS by prescribing positive airway pressure as treatment for that condition. However, you have to pursue treatment for the condition to make that happen.

Just inform you doctor that you do not want to take the medicines you prefer the therapy for treatment.

(09-22-2016, 01:20 AM)jakthebomb Wrote:
(09-21-2016, 10:34 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: jakthebomb - Please follow up on getting the PLM checked. Even the results said to do that.

I don't want to bother with that PLM, I think that was a false positive. Anyways, all treatment for it would be medications.

I am pushing my Doctor to do somewhat of a trial run with a CPAP.
Thanks,
Catherine

(09-22-2016, 01:23 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: So you are picking and choosing what you want from the diagnosis? Only taking what you want and tossing the rest?

2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-24-2016, 10:40 AM)0rangebear Wrote: I would like to encourage you to reconsider jakthebomb and PaulaO2's advice on the follow-up. Periodic leg movement-restless leg syndrome are sleep disorders that you doctor could use to get your insurance to cover CPAP. Sleep-well

My wife has and AHI of less that 1 without therapy but she suffers from Ataxia Telangiectasia, her doctor obtained approval from our insurance by certifying that the "therapy" will improve her condition.

Your doctor can do the came with the PLM/RLS by prescribing positive airway pressure as treatment for that condition. However, you have to pursue treatment for the condition to make that happen.

Just inform you doctor that you do not want to take the medicines you prefer the therapy for treatment.

Thank you for your thoughts. My roommate insists that I do have Sleep Apnea. I had 15 Hypopneas and really think it was a milder day. I have researched and found that Sleep Apnea does vary night to night. It can be more severe one night and mild the next.

This is why most Sleep Experts recommend a follow up sleep study as more than 50% of people who were negative the first night will be positive the second night.

I also know that PLMS can be a symptom of Sleep Apnea. It is not always caused by other factors. I know for a FACT that I do not have Restless Leg Syndrome which can account for 80% of PLMS diagnosis.

I asked my doctor for both a APAP Prescription and a Follow Up Sleep Study. He was very dismissive. I called my insurance company and they recommended I get a second opinion and said "We will completely cover a APAP machine just as long as a Prior-Auth is submitted." I just need a doctor to submit one and it is pretty much guaranteed to be approved.

I setup an appointment with a new doctor for Monday. I will do my best to plead my case and get him to send that prior auth.

Thanks,
Catherine
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2016, 09:06 PM)jakthebomb Wrote: ...
I wore my Apple Watch with Sleep++ for the past two nights and it said over 25% restlessness, my roommate wore it last night and it said 4% restlessness. I am really desperate for relief.

I was curious so I looked up that app on the iTunes App Store. It does not get good reviews. From what I saw, most people said it didn't work. So not sure I'd put any stock into the results from it. JMHO

APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Catherine,

If the Monday for the second opinion hasn't already passed, you might ask your roommate to take a video of you sleeping.

That would be pretty compelling evidence to show the new doc.

And don't let her put it on the Internet.

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2016, 07:02 AM)SaldusMiegas Wrote: Hi Catherine,

If the Monday for the second opinion hasn't already passed, you might ask your roommate to take a video of you sleeping.

That would be pretty compelling evidence to show the new doc.

And don't let her put it on the Internet.

Saldus Miegas

I am getting an at home sleep study with the Ares device. My sleep study nurse said that she thinks I have Sleep Apnea since the original results show classic problems during my sleep. She said another test should be enough to push me into a diagnosis.

She said that the PLMS can very well be related to Sleep Apnea and that a CPAP machine can totally reduce the issue.

Wish me luck!

Catherine
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been diagnosed with "Moderate, Non-Positional Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)"

AHI = 3
RDI (Respiratory Disturbance Index) = 21

There is much more listed in the Sleep Study, but I am so happy that my condition is finally going to be treated.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 215 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 284 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 123 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 547 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.