Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

apnea vs hypopnea
apnea vs hypopnea
I've been on CPAP for around a dozen years at a constant 7 cm.

I generally averaged <1 AHI.

About 3 months ago I swapped out my DeVilbiss and moved to a PR Dreamstation. My last set of data from me DeVilbiss showed a bump from around 1.5 AHI to 4.something. My results with the Dreamstation are similar.

I wasn't able to get a breakdown from my Devilbiss data like I am from my Dreamstation, so i don't know how much of the AHI was A and how much was H.

My Dreamstation data has been showing that my apneas are usually <1, and my hypopneas have actually been creeping up over the last 3 months.

What's the real difference between the two, and is there something that causes a rise in hypopneas with age? Seasonal issues? Physical issues? I haven't gained any weight recently, and healthwise not much has changed. I do know that I've had some pollen sensitivity and that might be playing a role.

Yesterday I switched from fixed 7 cm to auto 7-9 and will see what happens over the next month or so.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: apnea vs hypopnea
Keep us posted how the new settings go. The type of events also is important, and without the data, it's not possible to speculate why events have increased. Each machine senses and records events a bit differently, so it's not unusual to see more hypopneas with a Respironics machine than some other brands.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
my last 6 month averages (the lifetime of the data on the PR machine)"

AHI = 3.35
Obstructive Index = 0.24
Hypopnea Index = 3.06

If I can figure out how to add an image, I'll past what my AHI graph looks like. I have nearly all hypopneas. I thought it night be just the way the PR calculates them vs the way my old Devilbiss calculated them, but I looked back at a report I made just before I switched over and it showed the last night at around 4.x AHI. That 4.x AHI was much higher than the 1.x that I used to get.
Post Reply Post Reply
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I might be able to figure it out from that.

Hypopnea - my understanding is that it's more of a period of shallow breathing vs an obstruction (apnea). Or is it shallow breaths caused by a partial obstruction? Or both?

I looked at my graphs more closely last night. It does appear that my apneas are actually very low, but I have a lot of hypopneas. If it's a partial obstruction, then a pressure change might help? But if it's shallow breathing, how does CPAP or APAP fix that?

I first thought that the new machine was just recording events differently than my old machine. But I did find one report of one day on my old machine that showed a higher than average AHI, and ever since on my new machine I've been seeing similar results. It's almost as if something happened one day and has been with me ever since.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2016, 12:55 PM)KSMatthew Wrote: But if it's shallow breathing, how does CPAP or APAP fix that?

Hypopnea is a decrease in flow by more than X% for more than Y seconds. It can be obstructive or central in nature.

We naturally vary our "depth" of breathing as we are in the various phases of sleep.

If you wish to consider just the question: "...if it's shallow breathing, how does CPAP or APAP fix that?" Then that can be increased by increasing the Tidal Volume (TV). A larger split between IPAP and EPAP will generally increase TV. Some people are put on bilevel to achieve a greater split. Although that's not the only reason for bilevel.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2016, 02:30 PM)justMongo Wrote:
(10-07-2016, 12:55 PM)KSMatthew Wrote: But if it's shallow breathing, how does CPAP or APAP fix that?

Hypopnea is a decrease in flow by more than X% for more than Y seconds. It can be obstructive or central in nature.

We naturally vary our "depth" of breathing as we are in the various phases of sleep.

If you wish to consider just the question: "...if it's shallow breathing, how does CPAP or APAP fix that?" Then that can be increased by increasing the Tidal Volume (TV). A larger split between IPAP and EPAP will generally increase TV. Some people are put on bilevel to achieve a greater split. Although that's not the only reason for bilevel.

Bi-level = 2 different pressures, one for inhale, one for exhale?

And "Flex" settings also make an adjustment on the exhale, but it's not necessarily a fixed pressure, it's more of a decrease in whatever the inhale pressure happens to be at the time?
Post Reply Post Reply
Flex is a Phillips-Respironics term. Their Flex is similar to ResMeds EPR -- but, they work differently.
Bilevel is indeed one pressure for inhale and a (lower) pressure for exhale. To a degree this can be accomplished with EPR or Flex; but the splits are not as wide.

For example, my IPAP - EPAP is 5 cm-water.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
If the hyponpea is obstructive in nature, CPAP assists the airway in remaining open fully, similar to how it assists with obstructive apneas. It also increases tidal volume by pressuring the air you breathe and ensuring a large amount is available, despite the shallow breathing.

AFlex provides some IPAP and EPAP relief. It uses a different algorithm to match up with your breathing than CFlex.

CFlex provides only EPAP relief.

Both Flex options provide a range of 0.5 - 2.0 cm (a setting of 1 - 3), it seems.

Bi-pap is typically used for those that require a higher theraputic pressure than 16. It provides a greater variation in pressure than AFlex and CFlex. It uses a different algorithm to encourage more regular breathing.

(Apologies if any of this is inaccurate, I'm kind of new at it and shouldn't be sticking my nose in it. Ninja'd.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Flex settings 1, 2, and 3. for PR machines
You can receive up to 2cm pressure relief, but is flow based.
• C-Flex – Provides pressure relief upon exhalation.
• A-Flex/C-Flex+ – Provides pressure relief taking place at the end of inhalation and at the start of exhalation.

From the Wiki: see top of page.
Apnea - Cessation of breathing for 10 or more seconds during sleep. There are two basic types of sleep apnea: Obstructive Apnea is caused by a closure of the air passage despite efforts to breathe; Central Apnea is a lack of effort to breathe. Obstructive Sleep Apnea is by far the most common type. True apnea during wakefulness is extremely rare.

Hypopnea - An episode of diminished breathing during sleep, caused by a partial airway obstruction, and resulting in arousal. Usually accompanied by oxygen desaturation. Hypopneas may be just as serious as apneas and have the same troublesome effects.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  HYPOPNEA verification dataq1 22 1,145 02-06-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  Hypopnea - Resmed scoring Opus1 22 1,110 12-03-2023, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Opus1
  3% vs 4% Hypopnea Scoring gohoos1998 7 1,044 10-08-2023, 06:06 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  [Symptoms] Rolling "flutter" sensation on apnea/hypopnea, falling asleep ewriter 0 354 09-06-2023, 09:57 AM
Last Post: ewriter
  What Makes This Period of Time an Hypopnea Event? Trevor G 1 412 07-23-2023, 03:46 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  AHI versus "mean apnea–hypopnea duration" (MAD) Henrikc 1 527 03-13-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: pholynyk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.