Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SD card question
Question 
SD card question
Is there a trick to get a store bought SD card to work with my machine?

I have a Philips Respironics REMstar Auto A-Flex APAP machine which is set up as a CPAP and not an APAP.

I have found out that if you use a store bought SD card, it will only copy the old data that was on the card you had to mail in to your DME for insurance purposes, and will not copy any new data at all.

Once the insurance company usually gets their second memory card, the DME will not send you the card back since you don't need it for your machine to work.

Without being able to use another SD card, the Sleepyhead software is useless.

There must be a special coding from the DME so only their cards will work. Is there any way around this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SD card question
I don,t use your machine but if not mistaken you can put any SD card in the machine and the machine write the compliance and summary data on the card but for detailed data you need to sleep with the card in the machine
Can you send SH printouts to the DME to check compliance instead of sending the card?
Post Reply Post Reply
It has been about 3 weeks since I sent my SD card into the DME, I bought a store bought 2GB SD card and put it into my machine hoping to keep the data up to date for Sleepyhead until I get my card sent back to me, a day or two ago I used the card with Sleepyhead to find out, it only copied exactly what was one the card I sent in.

I make a back up copy of mine and my wife's cards in a folder on my PC HD also. I was able to compare them and they were the same. A store bought card will not work for some reason.

No they want their card sent to them.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sometimes it can help, unpluging the machine and wait few minutes and plug it back
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the ResMed S9 machine; I don't know if it works similarly to yours, although I would not be too surprised.

My machine (I got it in June) came with a 1 GB SD memory card. The machine won't store anywhere near that much data on the card (it erases a lot of the detailed data after 7 days) so there was no point in getting a higher-capacity card. Since I like to have backups, I mail-ordered a second 1 GB card. Initially it was blank - when I first put it into the S9, the machine detected that it was a new card, and asked if I wanted to wipe out the data on the card. I said yes, and it formatted the new memory card with the same folders and identification files as the old card. I wouldn't be surprised if yours worked the same way, assuming it is using a generic memory card.

It sounds like you tried putting in a new card, and your machine somehow copied in old data from a card you had sent off to the DME. That doesn't sound possible to me - once you remove the card, the machine no longer has all that detail available to it. If you had loaded the data from the card onto your PC, it would still be there, but I doubt your CPAP machine copied it to the new card - the machine no longer had that data. It is possible that if the new card is not formatted properly, the CPAP machine won't store new data on it. My S9 seemed to handle the formatting itself, but possibly yours does not. That could be a problem, although I have to believe there is a way to get the new card formatted correctly.

The other thing that makes no sense to me is that your DME would not return your card, after reading it for compliance data. My reaction is, darn it, it's your card, and they can darned well return it when they are done with it. Whether the machine will operate without it is irrelevant, IMHO. It's your machine, it's your card, and they can darned well spend 45 cents and mail it back! If they don't have the common decency to return what is clearly yours, they should be reported to the state Attorney General and the local Better Business Bureau for unethical conduct. And you should take your business elsewhere.

That's my rant for the day. Best of luck !

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mikael26288,

As a reminder, try to post your question in one thread only. I'm removing your post in the other thread where you basically asked the same question. Thanks.

Also, you may wish to read this thread HERE (concerns different types of SD cards and some incompatibility issues).

There is a difference in SD cards - it's been suggested that some of the early models of your CPAP machine might not accept the newer cards. The old ones are around 1-2 GB in size and are increasingly hard to find, except online... the newer standard is the SDHC cards, which may not work in your machine. Notice in the picture below, this is an older card that clearly says "SD" on it.... the new ones will say "SDHC" on them.

Also, on most SD memory cards, there is a sliding "lock" on the left side of the card. When moved downward to the "lock" position, data can be read from the card, but new data cannot be written to the card. When moved up to the "unlocked" position, data can be either read or written to the card. When used in conjunction with a data-recording CPAP machine, it is important to make certain that the SD card remains in the "unlocked" position so the machine can record patient data to the memory card.

[Image: SD_memory-lock.jpg]

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
There are other issue to consider, some cards have inbuit software and also speed can be a factor for the older cards. You could check your original card and check for software to copy over to a new card. Also as mentiond there are different types of SD cards, you must makesure you have the right one.

DC
Post Reply Post Reply
Every SD card I've tried in a PRS1 Auto machine has worked just fine. New data gets stored on the card. SD and SDHC cards work fine, up to 8 GB cards. The weren't all Respironics brand.

It even works if there is existing data on the card, it just puts its data on in addition to the old data.

That's for two different PRS1 Auto 550 machines. Both are probably 2011 vintage.

Can you check your software version on your machine. Unplug and plug it back in, and look on the display.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing that caught me about the Sleepy Head software and you may check, is that you have to import the data from the card each time you take it to the computer. The first couple times I used SH, I was so anxious to read the data that I forgot this little critical step and thought my machine wasn't writing to the card either. Turned out to be SH operator error. Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2012, 09:32 PM)archangle Wrote: Every SD card I've tried in a PRS1 Auto machine has worked just fine. New data gets stored on the card. SD and SDHC cards work fine, up to 8 GB cards. The weren't all Respironics brand.

It even works if there is existing data on the card, it just puts its data on in addition to the old data.

That's for two different PRS1 Auto 550 machines. Both are probably 2011 vintage.

Can you check your software version on your machine. Unplug and plug it back in, and look on the display.

My wife's CPAP has V2.51 and mine has V2.52 software version.

I have even bought a couple of SD cards that are Respironics brand and they don't work either.

The lady that does the home visits had told me that they use some method that prevents us from using a regular SD card that is not from them in our machines.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Philips SD Card Format Question Crimson Nape 1 276 02-16-2024, 10:23 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] SD card question and mask leak issue when side sleeping KingsIndian 1 441 10-13-2023, 08:41 PM
  Question: ResMed My Air & SD card rdudley9 2 743 06-04-2023, 11:48 AM
Last Post: larrykay
  SD card backup on PC and new SD card snorin2 0 947 12-05-2022, 01:53 PM
Last Post: snorin2
  SD card question Winterfrost 9 946 09-10-2021, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Winterfrost
  ResMed S9 SD Card "Invalid SD Card, erase card data?" MAPnea 41 51,020 04-29-2021, 03:42 AM
Last Post: Scobber
  SD Card Question TommyG 5 869 02-09-2021, 01:08 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.