Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Maskes - never ending frustration
Maskes - never ending frustration
I was so happy, having finally conquered my F10 and getting leaks under control and getting AHI down under 3 most nights.

Then last week happened. Sigh.

Leaks have been growing - last night it was up to 95% of the time at above 45L/min.

So frustrating.

I guess I have to shave the beard again.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Maskes - never ending frustration
You could try nasal pillows... at worst you would have to shave the mo but could still keep the beard. Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2016, 05:51 AM)Ockrocket Wrote: You could try nasal pillows... at worst you would have to shave the mo but could still keep the beard. Thinking-about

There are several LONG threads on here about my trials to use P10 pillows. Doesn't work at all, I am a serious mouth breather and have tried gluing my lips shut, taping my mouth closed, two and three chin straps, home made chin straps and many other things to be able to use the P10's - I love them, but can't use them.

The only thing I can think of that has changed is my beard - so, it has to go, if that solves my problem, well, then it is a small price to get some sleep. If it doesn't solve the problem, it will always grow back.

I will say it again - there is some very serious money to be made by anyone that can solve the mask issues - they seem to be the main problem with CPAP therapy.

Frank
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
I have decided to compromise for a first attempt on a Col. Sanders look. The mask then can fit into the space between my mustache and goat.
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Frank, good luck with the beard trim idea. If it doesn't do it, I'd suggest trying the Respironics Fitlife. Like you, I'm also in need of high pressure (my usual range is the same as yours), and I have a full beard but keep it on the short side. I've also been a serious mouth breather for as long as I can recall.
I used to add a roll of silicone across the forehead part of the mask seal as I mentioned earlier, but found I don't need it anymore. My leak rates have recently remained at 0 consistently, leaving me quite surprised but happy.

David
Post Reply Post Reply
Seriously, try the Sleepweaver Advance and, though you're a serious mouth breather, a decent chin strap. The Sleepweavers even have a 30 day return policy, so it's not like you have much to lose beside shipping cost.

Just make sure the size is right. They have a little PDF file you can download from their site that will give you the measurements so you can know if you'd be better off with small or "one size fits most". I was down to an AHI of 0 last night. Usually around 1. I'm at a lower pressure than you, but your numbers shouldn't be a problem with this mask, I don't think.

Doesn't anyone else use these things?

Anyway, bottom line: save the beard!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 158 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Trial Ending - a few questions jcw1407 1 410 05-30-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Well tomorrow: Ending Therapy Big Guy 4 793 08-20-2022, 03:34 PM
Last Post: joepublic23
  DME Venting (And Potential Happy Ending?) The Latinist 4 814 11-10-2021, 07:38 PM
Last Post: clownbell
  Plmnb's Never Ending OSA Journey (Data) Plmnb 257 20,074 12-30-2019, 08:32 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Never ending Aerophagia, please help! sarahfv 22 6,106 11-18-2017, 12:27 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Ending CPAP treatment? SamStamport 7 1,913 05-07-2017, 09:39 PM
Last Post: vsheline

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.