Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth Breathing
RE: Mouth Breathing
mcsheltie,
I also toss and turn a lot due to hip pain. If it weren't for that pain, I'm sure I would sleep straight through. But with all the turning I do, my P10 mask never budges. I was told to wear a size small pillow, but for the last year I switched to a medium. The "flimsy headgear" Too-funny is what I like best and the fact that the venting is so quiet.

Good luck in your search for the perfect mask.
Sleep-well

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2016, 01:40 PM)robysue Wrote:
(11-12-2016, 01:16 PM)mcsheltie Wrote: How much do you move around at night? I toss and turn all night. Having to adjust a mask each time has made sleeping almost impossible. I still can't believe that nasal pillows with no support will stay put as I toss and turn.
I'm a pretty active sleeper---in that I move around enough to tear the covers up on a regular basis.

I've used both the Swift FX nasal pillows mask and the P10 nasal pillows mask and I don't have much trouble with either of them moving around during the night. There are a quite a few of things that can affect the stability of the pillows:

2) The P10's straps are not really adjustable and I personally find that they are much too tight. I have to use the "regular" P10 headgear since the "for her" headgear is tight enough to cause headaches for me. I also find that I have to spread the straps as far apart as possible to keep it from pulling the pillows too tight against my nostrils.

When I tried the P10 on yesterday the straps were loose. There was really nothing holding it on my head. (there were clips with it tho) I moved my face around (with my hands, simulating how contact with a pillow would cause your face to move) and the pillows would immediatly unseal. I am gun shy after the problems I had with the DreamWare, when I laid on my side facial movement caused by the pillow would cause leaks.

Thanks for the rest of the info. I've copied and saved it Smile

I am starting to get really POed with this. I went into it knowing I had to get used to it. But last night was exasperating. The Wisp seemed fine at the DME yesterday. I laid down with it, moved all over, rolled around and it stayed sealed. Last night leaks woke me up FIVE TIMES. The only way I could get it to reseat was to turn the machine off and back on. Lifting it off my face did nothing, the leak was still there. After the third time I changed the cushion... felt fine, went back to sleep, was awakened by the same leak. So I loosened the headgear... felt fine, went back to sleep, was awakened by the same leak. So I tightened it... felt fine, went back to sleep, was awakened by the same leak. ARRRGH!!!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2016, 01:45 PM)OpalRose Wrote: mcsheltie,
I also toss and turn a lot due to hip pain. If it weren't for that pain, I'm sure I would sleep straight through. But with all the turning I do, my P10 mask never budges. I was told to wear a size small pillow, but for the last year I switched to a medium. The "flimsy headgear" Too-funny is what I like best and the fact that the venting is so quiet.

Thanks!
Good luck in your search for the perfect mask.

I'm not even looking for perfect. I just want one that doesn't wake me up! I don't even care if it works anymore... JUST LET ME SLEEP!!!!
Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Question... I have thin, long nostrils. Would that have any bearing on pillows seating correctly?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2016, 01:16 PM)mcsheltie Wrote:
(11-11-2016, 09:02 PM)Galactus Wrote: The P10 is like fairy dust and magic, lol.

Hmmm... I have to say I am skeptical... but I'll give it a shot!

Ok, so I exaggerate a little, lol. But for me it really made the whole therapy process so much better. Had I been forced to use the first mask they forced on me I might never have been able to do this.

All the best!

How much do you move around at night? I toss and turn all night. Having to adjust a mask each time has made sleeping almost impossible. I still can't believe that nasal pillows with no support will stay put as I toss and turn.

Opalrose, and Robysue, all have it right, we all move around a lot including myself. Pretty much all of us are on point here. Flimsy headgear is the plus lol. Inflation of the nasal pillows is a key factor. The way the hose needs to lay is also a key point, for me I tuck the climate line up and under giving me slack to toss and turn.

Keep in mind you're going to get woken up, for the first few nights a week or even 10 days, this is all new, its like sleeping with an alien on your face, takes a bit of time.

The pull away from the nostrils and let go slowly trick is a learned behavior, you'll get it right, takes a few times. Let it leak a bit, won't hurt you. Sometimes it leaks, no biggy really. Not crazy leak, but even now 2 years in I wake up with a leak here and there, it's almost impulse now to just quick move the nasal pillow fall back to sleep, didn't even know it happened.

As much as I've said try it in the chair, you might lay down awake before planning to go to sleep and watch some tv, move around, see the feel, move around, get the feel of how it slips how to fix it etc.

If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2016, 02:02 PM)mcsheltie Wrote: I am starting to get really POed with this. I went into it knowing I had to get used to it. But last night was exasperating. The Wisp seemed fine at the DME yesterday. I laid down with it, moved all over, rolled around and it stayed sealed. Last night leaks woke me up FIVE TIMES. The only way I could get it to reseat was to turn the machine off and back on. Lifting it off my face did nothing, the leak was still there. After the third time I changed the cushion... felt fine, went back to sleep, was awakened by the same leak. So I loosened the headgear... felt fine, went back to sleep, was awakened by the same leak. So I tightened it... felt fine, went back to sleep, was awakened by the same leak. ARRRGH!!!!!

I've had that happen to me too. My guess, based on no evidence what so ever Grin, is that when you awoke with a leak that the pressure was at 12 or significantly above your starting pressure. You need to adjust the mask to be leak free at the maximum pressure setting. Most machines have a "check mask fit" function for this.

Another alternative is to turn off the auto function and use straight CPAP. I've done that recently as I suspected that the pressure changes were resulting in awakenings. That not only resulted in my sleeping better, but reduced the mid-sleep mask leaks.

That said, I was woken many, many times last night with leaks. I have no idea why but my wife was quite annoyed! Some nights just suck.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2016, 08:56 PM)Galactus Wrote:
(11-12-2016, 01:16 PM)mcsheltie Wrote:
(11-11-2016, 09:02 PM)Galactus Wrote: The P10 is like fairy dust and magic, lol.

Hmmm... I have to say I am skeptical... but I'll give it a shot!

Ok, so I exaggerate a little, lol. But for me it really made the whole therapy process so much better. Had I been forced to use the first mask they forced on me I might never have been able to do this.

All the best!

How much do you move around at night? I toss and turn all night. Having to adjust a mask each time has made sleeping almost impossible. I still can't believe that nasal pillows with no support will stay put as I toss and turn.

Opalrose, and Robysue, all have it right, we all move around a lot including myself. Pretty much all of us are on point here. Flimsy headgear is the plus lol. Inflation of the nasal pillows is a key factor. The way the hose needs to lay is also a key point, for me I tuck the climate line up and under giving me slack to toss and turn.

Keep in mind you're going to get woken up, for the first few nights a week or even 10 days, this is all new, its like sleeping with an alien on your face, takes a bit of time.

The pull away from the nostrils and let go slowly trick is a learned behavior, you'll get it right, takes a few times. Let it leak a bit, won't hurt you. Sometimes it leaks, no biggy really. Not crazy leak, but even now 2 years in I wake up with a leak here and there, it's almost impulse now to just quick move the nasal pillow fall back to sleep, didn't even know it happened.

As much as I've said try it in the chair, you might lay down awake before planning to go to sleep and watch some tv, move around, see the feel, move around, get the feel of how it slips how to fix it etc.

I don't care about the leaks. None of them are large enough to compromise treatment. What I care about is that they wake me up. I have enough sleep issues, adding air blowing in my face to the mix is not wanted!

I can sleep with the mask on. It doesn't bother me. If it would just leak without blowing on me!

I can't get the Wisp to reseat by pulling it away (it worked with the other two masks). I have to turn the machine off and back on. I don't even have to move the mask at all. Just turn it back on and it reseats Dont-know And of course then the blinding light comes on for what seems like an eternity at 4 am.

I have been putting it on and reading or watching TV for a while every night. Like you said, I think adjusting the mask will become second nature. BUT... I still need a mask that stays put better. I've got to be able to move a little without creating a burst of air on my face!

I ordered the P10 and will give it a try. I've got nothing to lose except more sleep Blink
Post Reply Post Reply
I predict another convert. Resistance is futile.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2016, 12:29 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I predict another convert. Resistance is futile.

Too-funny

If I like it I'm not going to admit it Rolleyes
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2016, 12:21 PM)mcsheltie Wrote:
(11-12-2016, 08:56 PM)Galactus Wrote:
(11-12-2016, 01:16 PM)mcsheltie Wrote: Ok, so I exaggerate a little, lol. But for me it really made the whole therapy process so much better. Had I been forced to use the first mask they forced on me I might never have been able to do this.

All the best!

I don't care about the leaks. None of them are large enough to compromise treatment. What I care about is that they wake me up. I have enough sleep issues, adding air blowing in my face to the mix is not wanted!

I can sleep with the mask on. It doesn't bother me. If it would just leak without blowing on me!

I can't get the Wisp to reseat by pulling it away (it worked with the other two masks). I have to turn the machine off and back on. I don't even have to move the mask at all. Just turn it back on and it reseats Dont-know And of course then the blinding light comes on for what seems like an eternity at 4 am.

I have been putting it on and reading or watching TV for a while every night. Like you said, I think adjusting the mask will become second nature. BUT... I still need a mask that stays put better. I've got to be able to move a little without creating a burst of air on my face!

I ordered the P10 and will give it a try. I've got nothing to lose except more sleep Blink

The P10 haas a nice front air diffuser that helps a bit with the leaks blowing in my opinion. The funny part is these days the leaks wake my wife before they even disturb me at all. I get the "roll over elbow" long before a mere leak does it for me Laugh-a-lot

(11-13-2016, 12:29 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I predict another convert. Resistance is futile.

True that!

(11-13-2016, 12:34 PM)mcsheltie Wrote:

Too-funny

If I like it I'm not going to admit it Rolleyes

We'll know Big Grin
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone else have trouble breathing through their nose when sleeping? POOKISTAN 6 135 2 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 3 159 04-21-2024, 08:23 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 12 919 04-19-2024, 06:40 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 102 2,666 04-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 335 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 126 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 385 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.