Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dry mouth
Question 
Dry mouth
I am on my second day with my dreamstation and pillow mask. I seriously love the whole setup. The only thing I am finding is I wake up with the most atrocious dry mouth. How can I offset this.

Thank you
Jamie

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dry mouth
Hi djamiem,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

Make sure you are getting enough humidity. Other than than, a dry mouth is a good indicator of mouth breathing. Sometimes we do this without realizing.

If you think that is what is going on, you can try a few things.
One is a chin strap, or a "soft" foam type neck collar. The goal is to push up gently on the chin, not pull it back.

The best thing to do is to try and master the tongue seal. This takes practice, but works for many.

Place your tongue to the roof of your mouth with the tip of tongue placed behind front teeth, then gently suck upwards. This action will place your tongue in a natural position and creates a seal at back of mouth so that no air can escape.

It took me about a month to master this, but I used a chin strap at the same time. The best thing for me was getting rid of that chin strap. Smile

Also, before bed, rinse with a mouth wash like biotene or Act Dry mouth rinse.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mouth breathing was my biggest problem on the first night. I couldn't work out how to relax my jaw AND keep the seal. That technique you mentioned saved me in the end. My problem is I woke up with my lips glued closed and my tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth. I will turn up the humidity and use the biotene specifically near bed time.

Thank you for your detailed and helpful reply
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi djamiem,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Jamie, If you have a high humidity setting and still have a dry mouth it will be air escaping through your mouth, it slowly dries it out and you may find yourself waking with air escaping between you lip even. This is enough to give you are dry mouth.

In bad cases you can waken up with a mouth like you have licked the bottom of a parrots cage Rolleyes
Post Reply Post Reply
Mouth breathing is definitely my problem. The air is just busting through my lips and escaping leaving the parrots cage in its wake. After watching the video, I can see the build up and then poof like a balloon. Going to have to talk to the nurse on Monday.

Thank you all for your experience and wisdom.
Post Reply Post Reply
A full face mask (covers the mouth and the nose) is another option.
Post Reply Post Reply
A Full-faced mask or a hybrid mask might work better for you. Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 358 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 309 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 799 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,164 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 496 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.