Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to disinfect used equipment
RE: How to disinfect used equipment
(11-17-2016, 04:19 PM)Lanco Wrote: I have read someplace you can boil the mask. I would think that that would eliminate the chance of there being any problem here. If that is the case can I boil the entire mask or just certain parts. How long to boil. I suppose I could include the headgear with this? Would I need to take all those pieces apart or can I leave them as they are? Any other tips on this?

See my post earlier in this thread about boiling.

Not every mask will survive boiling. I haven't held your mask types in my hand, but I don't see any obviously non-boilable parts. My recommendation is to boil a big pot of water on the stove, turn off the heat, drop the parts in, cover it, and then wait until it's cool. Don't do it if you can't risk losing the mask.

I wouldn't boil the headgear. I have soaked mine with alcohol and left it in a bag overnight.

Don't boil the hose, although you can use a 70°C water soak for 30 minutes.

I would disassemble and clean first, even if you boil.

Note that boiling doesn't kill ALL types of germs, but it kills a lot of them.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to disinfect used equipment
(11-17-2016, 10:36 PM)Lanco Wrote:
(11-17-2016, 06:19 PM)Spy Car Wrote:
(11-17-2016, 04:19 PM)Lanco Wrote: Think I'll skip this stuff and stick with what I've already done. Although I would still like to try the mask at least for a few minutes to see if it's worth getting the necessary replacement parts. I have read someplace you can boil the mask. I would think that that would eliminate the chance of there being any problem here. If that is the case can I boil the entire mask or just certain parts. How long to boil. I suppose I could include the headgear with this? Would I need to take all those pieces apart or can I leave them as they are? Any other tips on this?

As I said before, spray equal parts peroxide and white vinegar. Let sit a bit. Rinse. Safe, cheap, and effective.

Bill

What about just mixing the two in a bowl and going at it that way? Or would this stuff fizz all over the place?

I've only sprayed, but have never noticed a big chemical reaction (as with vinegar and baking soda).

I have no reason to think this wouldn't work, but it seems like over-kill to me.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Best place to buy cpap equipment in Dubai or UAE Foxhunt 6 546 02-14-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Macka
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 375 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Equipment] Successful equipment modification tcurran 8 551 01-05-2024, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  hammer44 - ASV Therapy Equipment Question hammer44 11 601 01-01-2024, 01:47 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] CPAP Equipment Selection mgonthier 1 333 09-13-2023, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  What to do with "old" equipment? Paul Van Benschoten 10 939 06-30-2023, 08:34 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What's the quickest easiest way to clean your CPAP equipment? WWu777 24 3,734 03-06-2023, 06:55 PM
Last Post: nelamvr6

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.