Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Overslept last night, forgot what day it was *sigh*
Overslept last night, forgot what day it was *sigh*
Last night, I slept nearly 10 hours. When I woke, for some reason I thought it was Saturday not Friday, and was late for work.

Here's what it looked like.

Sleepyhead

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Overslept last night, forgot what day it was *sigh*
Hi Beej,
Must be the season, I just slept 9 hours, and very seldom do that!

Anyway, just a quick observation....leak rate is a little high. Are you experiencing mask leaks?
Do you use mask liners. Sometimes they help.

Flow limitation is high too, which indicates your pressure is too low. If your using ramp, raise it to start closer to your minimum pressure or turn off.

You need a bit higher minimum pressure to take care of the obstructives events, and your pressure tops out at your max pressure most of the night. I hesitate to tell you to raise the max because of the clear airways, although they are not that bad.

You can try to lower the EPR setting to 1, which may help lower clear airway events, and adjust your pressure range to minimum 9 and maximum 12.

With all that said, your results aren't bad at all, just need a little tweaking. The important part is how do feel after 10 hours sleep? :)

One more thought....you are using the "for her" setting.
I'm not sure of the difference between the "for her" setting and regular auto setting, but thought one was more aggressive than the other. Have you tried both modes?

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2016, 08:32 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Anyway, just a quick observation....leak rate is a little high. Are you experiencing mask leaks?
Yes, and I have a new mask ordered as this one is at 3 months. If I didn't have sinus issues and mouth breathing, I'd consider a nasal or pillow mask.

(11-19-2016, 08:32 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Flow limitation is high too, which indicates your pressure is too low. If your using ramp, raise it to start closer to your minimum pressure or turn off.
You need a bit higher minimum pressure to take care of the obstructives events, and your pressure tops out at your max pressure most of the night. I hesitate to tell you to raise the max because of the clear airways, although they are not that bad.
I have gradually raised the starting pressure - it was at 4.0. I actually dialed down the highest pressure from 11 as it seemed to be increasing the apneas.

(11-19-2016, 08:32 AM)OpalRose Wrote: You can try to lower the EPR setting to 1, which may help lower clear airway events, and adjust your pressure range to minimum 9 and maximum 12.
I lowered it down to 1 the next night and had 11 events vs the the night displayed above which was at 37 events (I think some of the recorded events may actually have been mask leaks)

(11-19-2016, 08:32 AM)OpalRose Wrote: With all that said, your results aren't bad at all, just need a little tweaking. The important part is how do feel after 10 hours sleep? Smile
Not optimal. I keep waiting for my "get up and go" to come back!

(11-19-2016, 08:32 AM)OpalRose Wrote: One more thought....you are using the "for her" setting.
I'm not sure of the difference between the "for her" setting and regular auto setting, but thought one was more aggressive than the other. Have you tried both modes?
I started with it in plain CPAP mode at just 7, then switched to the "for her" mode.

With the changes I've made, I'm going to see if holding steady for a few days lets things level out. Since I crunch numbers for a living, I will do some rolling averages to see what happens. These help reduce the daily variability when graphing so you get more of a general picture of what is happening.

Post Reply Post Reply
Holding steady is good, sometimes things settle down, and I think it's great you are so involved in your therapy.
Good luck, and keep us posted.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2016, 10:25 PM)Beej Wrote: Here's what it looked like.

See what you get during the next few nights. If what you showed us is typical (and you need several nights of data to determine that) and there are no comfort issues such as aerophagia, then I suggest raising the maximum pressure from 10 to 11.

You have lots of flow limitation, which is an indication you need a higher pressure. Your pressure graph shows you've reached the max most of the night. It's likely the machine would raise the pressure, in response to the flow limitation, above 10. If you would let it.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2016, 10:25 PM)Beej Wrote: Last night, I slept nearly 10 hours. When I woke, for some reason I thought it was Saturday not Friday, and was late for work.

Here's what it looked like.

Sleepyhead

Gee, I wish I had this problem. AND, looking at the chart, it could get better. Wouldn't it be awful to have to set an alarm clock?
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2016, 04:06 PM)Rcgop Wrote: ...Wouldn't it be awful to have to set an alarm clock?

Thing is, I DID set the alarm clock! And must have turned it off.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2016, 08:34 PM)Beej Wrote:
(11-19-2016, 04:06 PM)Rcgop Wrote: ...Wouldn't it be awful to have to set an alarm clock?

Thing is, I DID set the alarm clock! And must have turned it off.

Big Grin it was a compliment as to having a good night sleep. Big Grin good nights are hard to come by around here. Coffee
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
The overall leakage on the chart that you presented was actually quite good. The large spikes were not so great and may well have awakened you or otherwise disturbed your sleep. The spikes look like what I get if I dislodge the hose from my mask which wakes me up and I reconnect and go back to sleep. Maybe the spikes are fromyour mask getting dislodged momentarily from your face or maybe a momentary opening of your mouth. Your 95% leak rate is 1.23 which is very good.

It would be a good idea to solve the spikes in your leak rate. It may require a different mask.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 849 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 895 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  What to do when I forgot to reinsert SD card MichaelLMiller 12 3,506 02-25-2023, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  Forgot to slide the write-enable tab on the SD card AGAIN! cathyf 2 617 07-03-2022, 09:35 PM
Last Post: greatunclebill
  Traveling - use AIRSENSE with RESMED N30 nasal mask - forgot vented elbow!! new2paphopeful 0 640 06-25-2022, 12:29 AM
Last Post: new2paphopeful
  Forgot the name of sleep apnea doctor and hospital sanemonk1 1 597 04-21-2022, 07:16 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  Great Night into Terrible Night dcsleep 1 1,109 12-15-2020, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.