Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How often does the DME check on you after they get all their Data
How often does the DME check on you after they get all their Data
I have only had my CPAP machine since June 2012, but my wife has had her machine for a few months longer.

After her DME got the memory card data for the second and last time they have never checked on her again.

I still have a memory card that my DME will request some time in the future

So I'm thinking out loud here and I am wondering once they get all their data, there is really no reason a person can't switch their machine from CPAP to APAP if they have an Auto CPAP machine.

I know the Doctors don't seem to want you to change any settings unless they order it.

What are your thoughts on this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How often does the DME check on you after they get all their Data
2 years this month... and never heard from them since the second month. Not only that, but my sleep doctor's office never bothered with the reminder call to come in after the first year.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had the old REMStar since 2004 and no one has ever checked on me. Of course I bought my new (to me) machine so I guess I am not compliant with the old REMStar, they can have it back! Laugh-a-lot
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like no one will know or care if you switch your machines from CPAP to APAP after they get their last memory card from you..
Post Reply Post Reply
I've never had insurance nor DME request data. My first machine, an S7, did not have a card. My S9 only records compliance (because I was an idiot).

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
The decision isn't driven so much by my relationship with my DME as by my relationship with my doctor. Once he tweaked my pressure settings to the point that I was happy with them, and after I'd waited to be sure I was happy, only then did I start tweaking them on my own.

What is it you hope to accomplish by switching from CPAP to APAP? In my opinion you need a goal.

For example, when I had my pressure at 10 cm I was still getting more CA's than OA's, even though my AHI was around 2.0. I lowered the pressure to 9.5 and the hypopnea index went up a bit. So, after several weeks of waiting to see if anything else would change, I raised the pressure up to 10.5. Now I'm getting nearly zero on my hypopnea and OA indices, even though the CA index has gone up a tad. My AHI for the last week averaged 1.3, and for the last month, 1.8.

My next move is going to be the raising of my EPAP pressure from 7.5 to 8.0. This is relevant only to those of us who are on BiPAP therapy. I'm hoping it will lower my CA index, but I hope it doesn't cause my aerophagia to flare up.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2012, 02:23 PM)Sleepster Wrote: What is it you hope to accomplish by switching from CPAP to APAP?

I was thinking about my wife. She has a CPAP machine and mine is a APAP set up as a CPAP.

Ever since about the second or third week of her using her CPAP machine she has not been getting good sleep. It is not because of her oxygen intake, they tested her twice with a Oximeter.

I was hoping to see how she would do with my machine set on Auto.
And try to see what pressures she would be using while she tried my machine out.

They haven't suggested a pressure increase for her machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
My DME asked for my smartcard the first month after I had my Respironics DS200S and that is it. When she did ask me for it and took a look at it, she said that I was doing very well. I have been on CPAP since 2008.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2012, 02:42 PM)mikael26288 Wrote: Ever since about the second or third week of her using her CPAP machine she has not been getting good sleep. It is not because of her oxygen intake, they tested her twice with a Oximeter.

I would suggest she make an appointment with her doctor. Often it's the CPAP therapy itself that keeps us awake. Until we get used to it.

Here's what my fear would be. Let's say I switch to a APAP for three weeks and I'm still having problems. I go to my doctor and he wonders how I'd be doing if I'd have just followed his directions and stayed on the prescribed CPAP therapy.

This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't make changes after only three weeks without first consulting my doctor. The way it works with my doctor is he wants the DME as a go-between. I send my DME my data and express my concerns to him. He then prepares a report, sends it to my doctor, and gets back with me about changes in the prescription, or to tell me I need to schedule an appointment with the doctor.

I guess I've been relatively lucky in that my experiences with my DME and doctor have not been negative. They are not as good as they could be, but they're not as bad as some of the horror stories I've heard on the forums.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been on XPAP since 2005. Neither my DME or sleep Doctor has ever requested to view the SD card in my machine. I have been my own diagnostician from day one. I have learned alot about sleep apnea; and though not a professional by any means, I consider myself (some may consider me foolish) knowledgeable enough to make any changes to my machine as necessary to enhance my quality of sleep and life.

If I were in your shoes, and since you have the availability of a AutoPap, I would set the APAP two numbers lower then her present setting and 3 or 4 higher then her present setting and let her use it for a week or so. After a week or so of trial, take an evaluation of the situation and go from there. Her poor quality of sleep may be related to some other malady other then apnea. Good luck.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] One year in, need a reality check BuzzaJim 2 159 03-30-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: BuzzaJim
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 137 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
  How can I check if my ClimateAir actually heats up? NoddingHacker 1 203 02-06-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,736 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
Question 24 years old, Central Sleep Apnea only. Check out my OSCAR data? FL00D 4 1,046 10-02-2023, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] CPAP starts and runs like it's doing a leak check after getting a new mask ironballsmcginty 1 422 09-28-2023, 05:06 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Using a CPAP to check sleep apnea Pierrec83 2 422 09-09-2023, 01:34 AM
Last Post: jwest

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.