Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Am I on the right track? Not feeling it yet.
RE: Am I on the right track? Not feeling it yet.
I would think that increasing EPAP during CAs would not be the best thing the machine could do. The hypopneas may be central in nature which would make the previous statement applicable.

Best regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2017, 03:56 PM)PaytonA Wrote: I would think that increasing EPAP during CAs would not be the best thing the machine could do. The hypopneas may be central in nature which would make the previous statement applicable.

Best regards,

PaytonA

Not sure if I mis-stated in my previous post, but an significant increase of IPAP of 8 - 10 cm additional pressure is what we'd expect to see during CA, and even in hypopnea to encourage greater ventilation.  If somehow I said EPAP was increased that was a brain fart.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gee, I am known to have some of those.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2017, 11:29 AM)gman5200 Wrote:
(01-24-2017, 10:48 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The mask pressure shows me exactly what I need to know, but similar data is available on the pressure chart.  What we see is that mask pressure increases on a breath by breath basis at the minimum pressure support setting, and it does that even when it should be increasing pressure to help increase inspiratory volume during hypopnea and CA events.   The machine should be using up to your maximum PS to treat inadequate or non-respiration.  It never gets above 14 cm, even during a central event.  That is a malfunction.

Try to get a Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV...Much better machine for what you need.

If you have clinician's manual check the modes section. It looks like DME has it set to a variable Epap only. Should be autosv or something like that.
Could be wrong and if so I agree it is broken.

Hi benseidler,

The Therapy Mode appears to be ASV with Variable EPAP, which is the desired mode, all right. (An earlier ASV mode did not automatically adjust EPAP.) The posted data shows EPAP and PS are automatically adjusting, but as Sleeprider has explained, the machine is certainly not acting as needed. Verifying that the therapy mode is set correctly by checking on the machine itself is a good idea, to be completely sure that SleepyHead is not misreporting the therapy mode.

I agree the machine is not working, in the sense it's not treating your CAs and hypopneas in the way you need it to.

If the machine is not malfunctioning electrically (meaning, if nothing is wrong with its sensors and another PRS1 autoSV Advanced machine would behave similarly) then I think the PR ASV algorithm (which tries to maintain Peak Flow rather than Minute Volume) is not well suited to your breathing style. By "breathing style" I mean how slowly or quickly or shallowly or deeply or weakly or forcefully we tend to inhale or exhale, as exhibited in different sections of the Flow waveform.

The ResMed ASV algorithm works to maintain Minute Volume (MV is the estimated total volume of air breathed in one minute) which is a method which does not directly depend on Peak Flow. I think the ResMed algorithm would work well with any breathing style.

In your case, I agree it would likely be best to push for a switch to a ResMed ASV machine, one which is also able to automatically adjust EPAP.

S9 ASV Adapt machines made earlier than November 2012 did not have the capability to adjust EPAP, but S9 ASV machines manufactured in November 2012 and later (and the new AirCurve 10 ASV) do.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AHI Numbers looking great but feeling like crap Jpm6179 13 386 1 hour ago
Last Post: Jpm6179
  Help a noob - low AHI but still feeling tired PeachPhantom 3 136 04-17-2024, 08:31 PM
Last Post: PeachPhantom
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 314 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 381 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 348 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 841 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  [Treatment] 40+ AHI WITH cpap, feeling hopeless Bobblan 10 595 01-24-2024, 10:04 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.