Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Wean off the mask
Sad 
Wean off the mask
I have had sleep apena for 12 years and lost 73 pounds last night I had my 5th sleep study and I no longer have apena. I came home exhausted and was told normal REM sleep is 20-25% and mine is 6-7% so I still have sleep issues! I can't immagine sleeping without my mask. I came home and took a nap with my mask on as I couldn't relax without it on. Sounds silly I know. I'm trying to figure out how to wean myself off my mask. Also I just started nuvigal l -2 months ago and can't make it through a day with out it.I concerned insurance won't aprove this med now. My machine is at 9mm and thing of turning down the pressure slowly to wean off it. Any sugestions would be helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Wean off the mask
(08-14-2012, 04:41 PM)curley Wrote: I have had sleep apena for 12 years and lost 73 pounds last night I had my 5th sleep study and I no longer have apena. I came home exhausted and was told normal REM sleep is 20-25% and mine is 6-7% so I still have sleep issues! I can't immagine sleeping without my mask. I came home and took a nap with my mask on as I couldn't relax without it on. Sounds silly I know. I'm trying to figure out how to wean myself off my mask. Also I just started nuvigal l -2 months ago and can't make it through a day with out it.I concerned insurance won't aprove this med now. My machine is at 9mm and thing of turning down the pressure slowly to wean off it. Any sugestions would be helpful.

Turing the pressure down slowly would seem to make a lot of sense.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also try and wear the headgear but without the mask it may trick your mind into thinking your still wearing it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi curley, First, WELCOME! to the forum.! CONGRATULATIONS! on your weight loss, that's a very difficult thing to do, WELL DONE,! I hope you have great success in keeping it off. I don't know the answer as to weening off your mask but hang in there and keep checking back for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for the sugestions so far so good with the mask but just had my cholesteral checked and it's the highest it's ever been I thought for sure it would be normal if it's not one thing it's another!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2012, 09:28 PM)curley Wrote: Thanks everyone for the sugestions so far so good with the mask but just had my cholesteral checked and it's the highest it's ever been

You may be able to fix that with diet. I lowered my total from 223 to 137 just by substituting fish and skim cheese for red meat and whole cheese and by limiting carbs. Your body does manufacture its own cholesterol, especially if you're overweight, so my method doesn't work as well for everyone. But giving diet a shot is a simple experiment that doesn't require a prescription.

And speaking of prescriptions, at one time the Walgreen's drug store sold a lipid test kit for $20 or so. I considered it, but never bought one. I don't know if they still sell them. I thought it was cool to let people check their lipid levels themselves.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,210 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,757 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,424 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,832 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,529 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.