Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What specific type of soap do you use to clean Cpap tube?
RE: What specific type of soap do you use to clean Cpap tube?
I'm with PaytonA. I don't wash my cpap hose. The only thing that ever goes through the hose is filtered air that has passed over distilled water. I am still using my original hose that is almost two years old. No problems.

I use a few drops of Johnson's baby shampoo in a half sink of warm water to clean the face mask. After it is rinsed well and air dried, it is pleasant to sleep with.

YMMV, Jeff
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
But what happens if you snarf during the night? Don't you want to clean that grunge out?

Post Reply Post Reply
There's a flap that closes if you exhale, cough, or sneeze. I'm not sure it blocks everything, though.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
The flap is part of an anti-asphyxiation valve that allows air in and out of the mask when no air is not coming from the blower. When air is coming from the blower the flapper closes off the anti-asphyxiation vent and everything runs normally

Best Regards,

PaytonA.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Commercial Link Removed, instead search for Control III on Amazon.
Use only a few times a year and only for the heated hose I use, not the mask hose.  

Serious stuff, use gloves, works like a charm... I clean it with unscented free and clear dishwashing soap first.  I hang it from the bracket, mix about a cup or two of water and the solution, then hang the hose up and pour it in and let it sit for a while.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
Wash? Tube? Mask?

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-08-2017, 02:45 AM)AshSF Wrote: I use any available liquid foaming hand soap for all my Cpap cleaning needs. Make sure it doesn't have any antibacterial Ingredients like triclosan.

Every once in a while, For disinfecting I use green dettol - benzylkonium chloride based disinfectant properly diluted.

What's wrong with antibacterial dish soap?
Post Reply Post Reply
regular dish soap.... just a little.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2017, 06:39 PM)speed3914 Wrote:
(01-08-2017, 02:45 AM)AshSF Wrote: I use any available liquid foaming hand soap for all my Cpap cleaning needs. Make sure it doesn't have any antibacterial Ingredients like triclosan.

Every once in a while, For disinfecting I use green dettol - benzylkonium chloride based disinfectant properly diluted.

What's wrong with antibacterial dish soap?

Triclosan.

From david suzuki.org

Triclosan can pass through skin i and is suspected of interfering with hormone function (endocrine disruption). ii U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention scientists detected triclosan in the urine of nearly 75 per cent of those tested (2,517 people ages six years and older). iii The European Union classifies triclosan as irritating to the skin and eyes, and as very toxic to aquatic organisms, noting that it may cause long-term adverse effects in the aquatic environment. ivEnvironment Canada likewise categorized triclosan as potentially toxic to aquatic organisms, bioaccumulative, and persistent. In other words, it doesn't easily degrade and can build up in the environment after it has been rinsed down the shower drain. In the environment, triclosan also reacts to form dioxins, which bioaccumulate and are toxic. v

The extensive use of triclosan in consumer products may contribute to antibiotic-resistant bacteria. vi The Canadian Medical Association has called for a ban on antibacterial consumer products, such as those containing triclosan. vii 

Mayoclinic:

Should I avoid products that contain triclosan?
Answers from James M. Steckelberg, M.D.

The answer is probably.
In 2016, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued a rule stating that over-the-counter consumer antiseptic wash products containing many potentially harmful antibacterial active ingredients — including triclosan and triclocarban — can no longer be marketed to consumers. These products include liquid, foam and gel hand soaps, bar soaps, and body washes.

Triclosan is also added to certain clothes, cookware, furniture and toys to reduce or prevent bacterial contamination, but these products aren't regulated by the FDA.
The ruling follows recent studies that have raised questions about whether triclosan is hazardous to human health. Research has shown that triclosan:

• Alters hormone regulation in animals

• Might contribute to the development of antibiotic-resistant germs

• Might be harmful to the immune system
When you use a product containing triclosan, you can absorb a small amount through your skin or mouth. A large 2008 study, which was designed to assess exposure to triclosan in a representative sample of U.S. children and adults, found triclosan in the urine of nearly 75 percent of those tested.
Triclosan isn't an essential ingredient in many products. Triclosan added to toothpaste has been shown to help prevent gingivitis. However, there's no evidence that antibacterial soaps and body washes containing triclosan are more effective than plain soap and water in preventing illness and the spread of certain illnesses, according to the FDA.
Many manufacturers have started removing this ingredient from their products. If you're concerned about triclosan, look for products that don't list triclosan in their ingredients.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I've rinsed out the hose once so far with warm water and Dawn dish soap. That's once this month, for the month I've had it. The mask and humidifier tub, same but once every weekend.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 109 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 124 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 226 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 253 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Tube Size - 12mm, 15mm and 22mm MrIvanDrago 8 474 02-23-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 952 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  Q-tube View 0 195 02-04-2024, 01:35 PM
Last Post: View

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.