Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How tight should my mask be? Is it too tight?
How tight should my mask be? Is it too tight?
I have to tighten my mask so that the end of the strap is sitting just below my ear lobe, but not behind it? If I don't pull my straps that far back, the mask moves during the night. Is that considered to tight?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How tight should my mask be? Is it too tight?
It’s important not to over-tighten your mask. Doing so may be a sign that you have the wrong cushion size or an incorrectly adjusted forehead support. Most masks have a "floating" fit.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
How do you know when it is "over-tightened?" I have to pull the lower straps back to just below my ear lobes. Is that too far back?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hard to say, but i would guess, if the cushoin compresses more than half. As Daria says most cushions are made to seal and float on the skin compressing enough to seal. Tighter to account for movement. If you over tighen the mask, a wripple can form somewhere along the cushion breaking the seal.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've tried 4 different masks and I wouldn't say that any of them were able to just sort of float over my skin without them leaking significantly. My current mask leaks far less than the others, but it certainly needs to be tight otherwise it moves up my face and leaks and sort of seals my mouth completely shut. How far back on your face do your bottom straps usually go? Do they reach the part of your face that is directly below your ear lobes?
Post Reply Post Reply
People have different sized heads and ears, etc. Trying to get the mask fitted by where the end of the strap is on your head vs someone else's is a fool's errand. Also, for full-face masks, higher pressures generally require tighter straps. At 10, your pressure is not very high. You should be able to wear the mask without it being very tight on your face.

A more productive place to focus might be "How am I sleeping?". I am guessing the answer is not on your back. For side or stomach sleepers, you may need to adjust your sleep position to avoid putting pressure on the mask and dislodging it. I sleep on my side and position my head at the edge of my pillow with the mask mostly hanging off into the air. There are special CPAP pillows that might help you. For stomach sleepers, google for "Falcon Sleeping Position".
Post Reply Post Reply
With my full face mask I have found when I first start my machine I should be able to feel the cushion inflate when I pull the mask slightly away from my face.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since your mask seems to migrate upward, try to make a soft strap that goes from both sides under your jaw and acts as a hold-down. Several other members here have made lightweight straps that do this, and it acts to help keep the mouth closed and the mask in position.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi everyone...this is my first post...I am a week old user at 70 years old.I had a range setting of 5-20 but it was blowing my face off..I am a back sleeper so I thought I would be at an advantage...
I tried all the fitting procedures but leaked like a sive..Finally my dr. set my value to a high of 16...That helped but still problems..Last nite I tried the remzzzs liner and it was great...Could loosen up the mask quite a bit and it sealed...The issue with me is its like $1 a day...thats $365 a year and thats a lot for me. My insurance will not pay for that..
There is so much material hear....great but ......
Look forward to these discussions..I really want this to work, even shaved part of my beard to be sure that was not hurting my seal...Thanks to all
Post Reply Post Reply
Use a REMZZS as a template and cut out a bit of flannel then see if it works similarly. That would be washable and reusable.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,630 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,310 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  New mask but chest still tight and flow limitations Summer 5 739 09-04-2022, 02:36 AM
Last Post: Summer
  Leak rate issue while taping lisp shut tight. Phil7 2 638 09-03-2022, 12:24 AM
Last Post: clownbell
Arrow P10 too tight - What to do? Benzi 13 2,576 07-14-2022, 12:43 PM
Last Post: jrh0
  Tightness of cervical collar and effectiveness? How tight should it be? CorruptAlligator 1 732 06-26-2022, 12:40 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,872 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.