Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dry mouth with Amara View
RE: Dry mouth with Amara View
Hi capecodoma,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy and getting your mask to work for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello!
I've just signed up with the Apnea Board Forum - altho' I've been on CPAP for over 10 years now. Naturally, the little "issues" never cease to pop up, but I'm still very thankful for my CPAP buddy!

There's an ongoing issue with masks, of course, but do really like the PICO mask these days. The "issues" however, are exacerbated this past couple of years by my mouth breathing that causes dry mouth. And, as we all are told, dry mouth can eventually cause gum disease or tooth decay. Yippee!

As others in this forum have stated, TMJ can be a real issue for me, also. Attempting to use a chin strap recently has helped the mouth-breathing problem, but caused the TMJ pain to flare horribly - it had been under control.

This past Friday, I received a new DreamStation CPAP with heated hose and humidifier from my provider. (Did any of us ever think we'd get excited about a new CPAP machine? Thinking-about ) The machine works like a charm; HOWEVER, a problem similar to one with my old CPAP occurs. The new machine water tank holds slightly less water than my old clunker and I've had to refill the tank each morning about 4 a.m. when my burning nose alerts me to an almost dry humidifier. My excellent provider just explained the reason for that: The CPAP considers mouth breathing the same as a Mask Leak, and pushes up the temp in the humidifier (and perhaps the air pressure), to accommodate. That, of course, lowers the water level. She advised me that I seriously need to deal with the mouth breathing in order to solve that issue.

I have two comments/questions:

1. Taping my mouth several times worked super well. No chin strap was needed, and there was hardly any dry mouth at all. However, even with the micropore tape or paper tape that were suggested, I practically removed my lips when I took it off the next morning. Ouch! Anyone have ideas on that? (I've tried both taping across my mouth, and in vertical strips. Across worked the best.) For those who use this method, I'd sure appreciate knowing what's worked re: type of tape, or ?, that will allow for easier removal. And, any other ideas, of course.

2. (men - you can quit reading now. LOL) I think I'll try the Amara mask next - My DME Provider was out of them last week, but will have them soon. Being a "vain, older female", however, I am concerned about a mask that sits along my chin. Using a chin strap was causing me to wake up with much deepened, as well as new, vertical lines in my chin, until I stopped it's use. I'm fine with aging gracefully - just don't want it to be overnight! Do any of you women using the Amara experience outlandish chin marks, etc.?

Sorry this is so long! I'm pleased to have found your forum, and am looking foward to your ideas.

Thanks much.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Granny K,
I'm very new to Cpap use (started 8/2016) and honestly I had a bit of a temper tantrum Friday evening, threw the mask on the floor and have since tossed the machine in the drawer. All of this because I can't get a decent night's sleep because I breathe through my mouth. I have the Amara View which worked, sort of, for a few months but I find the plastic frame hard that the cushion fits into and it leaves marks on my face. Additionally, the straps leave marks so I look like I've been wearing a dental retainer all night. Like you, I can grow old gracefully but I don't need the help of an inanimate machine to assist me.
Bottom line is that you aren't alone in this department with marks and lines from the mask but I didn't find the Amara view to be much of an improvement. Hoping we can both find a resolution and continue to grow old in a graceful manner and with the lines we earned not the lines we had forced on us.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2017, 04:33 PM)AdirondackNative Wrote: Hi Granny K,
I'm very new to Cpap use (started 8/2016) and honestly I had a bit of a temper tantrum Friday evening, threw the mask on the floor and have since tossed the machine in the drawer.  All of this because I can't get a decent night's sleep because I breathe through my mouth.  I have the Amara View which worked, sort of, for a few months but I find the plastic frame hard that the cushion fits into and it leaves marks on my face. Additionally, the straps leave marks so I look like I've been wearing a dental retainer all night.  Like you, I can grow old gracefully but I don't need the help of an inanimate machine to assist me.
Bottom line is that you aren't alone in this department with marks and lines from the mask but I didn't find the Amara view to be much of an improvement.  Hoping we can both find a resolution and continue to grow old in a graceful manner and with the lines we earned not the lines we had forced on us.

Hi!
I'm sure sorry to hear about your bad experience with CPAP.  I've FELT like throwing a tantrum more than once on the past 10 years, trust me.  Do you have a local medical equipment provider with whom you can work to become compliant?    I didn't for a few years, but there are local respiratory techs here with whom I meet with when necessary to get ideas on making things work better.  They have me bring in my mask and equipment and see what's going wrong, and work to correct that.

I have discovered that there are products out there that have worked for me personally as pads under almost any mask.  Some companies even design pads to wrap around the straps and forehead piece - I have used a number of them and they work super well to prevent the marks.   One that has worked for me, and fits under the mask edges are the Remzees.  I now occasionally buy soft cloth and make my own.   Ready made are less work to create, however, and discount places have better prices on that brand, though.   

I am sure there are many comfort/leak-protection/mark-reducing products out there, so I'm not endorsing these over any other products.  However...  Before I had my new heated hose machine, I had used the Pad-A-Cheek liners to keep my mask from "chilling" my nose to the point I was sneezing the next day.  No need for those now.  Now with several of my masks, I use the Pad-A-Cheek items to prevent mask marks on my cheeks and forehead.  You can just go online and get more detailed information on these and similar products.   I now get some of mine via the discount CPAP supply places, as well as the manufacturer.  AND, by the way, most of these pads and liners are designed for specific masks!! I see that they make Remzees for the Amara, and I'm sure the other company has pads for the mask marks for the Amara, too. 

In my case, my sleep was better, and health risks lowered once I began CPAP, even though it's tough to get going with it.  As my provider has gotten "new styles" over these years, I have probably used 5-6 different mask styles in that time.  Some worked fairly well, while others only a few weeks due to problems, that even my helpful local provider could not solve.   Since I'm only allowed mask changes every 6 mo. on Medicare, I'd just go back to the one that worked before the change and get my monthly mask pillow replacement for it..  
  I still haven't received my Amara to try out, but have finally figured out a temporary system for sealing my mouth in the meantime, using a gauze pad across my lips, held on the edge by paper tape.   It's not pretty for sure, but  I've slept over 7 hours each night now for 5 nights - something I've not done in several years.   

Until I get rid of the gauze and tape, I'm also thinking about applying for a part as in one of my favorite Marvel or DC comics series - maybe calling myself "Freaky Face", or something. 

I sure hope you can get some support time with someone who will assist you with the mask, and find some practical solutions to the face and mask marks!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I do appreciate the XyliMelts, they are the BEST!

A Xylitol tablet from Epic Dental tucked into my gum line is also very effective.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know I'm kind of late to the party on this one, but I have dealt with dry mouth using the Amara View for awhile, so I thought I'd share. First, it's not your imagination, the Amara does seem to dry out my mouth more than other masks. Also, it does not seem to matter how much water is left in the reservoir, it will still cause dry mouth. What I have noticed is that there is more air coming out the exhaust on the mask than I feel coming from other masks, so maybe that's part of it. Anyway, here is how I have managed.

1. When you get a new water reservoir, keep the old one so you have two you can use. Fill both before you go to bed. Put one in the machine, put the second one nearby. When you wake up in the night, switch out the water reservoirs before you return to bed.

2. Use a bite guard. This prevents air from blowing directly on your top teeth/gums. I cut strips from Sea-Bond dental adhesive paper and place it inside the bite guard with the pink side against the guard. The white side will be against your teeth. This keeps the bite guard in place all night.

3. Rinse your mouth out with Biotene dry mouth rinse before going to bed and every time you get up at night. It juices up your mouth and tastes good. After using it for awhile, the taste itself is a cue that says "we're falling asleep now." Just by association, I guess.

4. Use a chin prop (the kind for snoring) so your mouth is not falling open very wide when you are asleep. This helps with leaks too. I use The Eliminator Travel Sleep Pillow, available on Amazon. In my opinion a chin rest is much more comfortable than a chin strap. Also, although they don't advertise this, every time I have bought one they sent me a coupon for another one for free.

Those are the things I do. They don't solve the problem 100%, but they make the dry mouth much less of a problem and quite tolerable. Hope this helps someone else.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the hints. I am now using two Xylimelts at bedtime with an ACT Dry Mouth Lozenge that I grab about 4 AM.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 40 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 384 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 319 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 243 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 810 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,169 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.