Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamstation Auto User Need Advice
Dreamstation Auto User Need Advice
Hi,

I am on my 4th night on my new Dreamstation. Previously on a rental/trial Resmed S9 Autoset for a month and no issue with going below AHI 5. But 4 nights on the Dreamstation but I cannot get below AHI of 5 for the 4 nights.

The leak rate is also quite high. Am I doing something wrong here?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamstation Auto User Need Advice
I'm wondering if the lower pressure limit might need to be raised to maybe 6 - but wait until you hear from the more experienced folks here.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, I did try to raise my min pressure to 6 (see the info above). I read somewhere that coughing would increase the AHI? Might be the issue as I am having a persistent cough for over a week.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you using the same mask as previously?

Does the Dreamstation have the same settings as the S9 did?

I have the Dreamstation coupled with a Fisher & Paykel Eson nose mask, I have no real problems with leaks, and my AHI average over the last 6 months is 1.4 (and I have recently even achieved the magical 0.0 with it on one occasion)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Etchris,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your questions, good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2017, 10:55 PM)Etchris Wrote: Hi,

I am on my 4th night on my new Dreamstation. Previously on a rental/trial Resmed S9 Autoset for a month and no issue with going below AHI 5. But 4 nights on the Dreamstation but I cannot get below AHI of 5 for the 4 nights.

The leak rate is also quite high. Am I doing something wrong here?

Don't think it's the leak rate as your 95% leak rate is 21 and 'time over leak red line' was 2.42%. Most of the night it was near or at zero until after 5am and again after 6am. The more experienced ones may correct me, but it appears ok to me.

You didn't mention what was on the S9 pressure setting. For the Dreamstation, you may need to up the min pressure a notch or so higher than what was set on the S9 due to it's softer pressure rise algorithm.

Are you using a humidifier? It may help the cough as dry air (or air conditioning) may further irritate the airway.

lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Agree with raising the minimum pressure and looking at your 95% rate I'd set it at 10 though 9 will suffice. The algorithm the Respironics uses is not as aggressive as the Resmed so getting your min pressure close to your 95% means the PR can work better. This was my experience changing from my loaner S9 to the PRS1 (model before the Dreamstation and very similar).

Your leak rate is fine. The Resmeds use a different way to calculate leak rate and anything above 24 is considered a leak. This can be much higher for the Respironics machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, I tried putting the pressure to a min of 10 up to 20,using the DreamWear it was very noisy and I can't sleep, but it did bring the AHI down to 5.2.

I tried to use the ramp function(manual) to start at 6cm/h2o over 25 mins but it got too noisy for me using the Dreamwear. In the end I used the Amara View which is less noisy. I had an AHI of 5.6.

Will try to see if the Smart Ramp would help better to reduce the noise.

Personally I prefer the more aggressive Resmed S9 Autoset but I have to live with a cheaper Dreamstation as I can't afford to have the Resmed now since these are all self financed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Btw, on the S9, the pressure is set at 4-18cm/h2o and it did a wonderful job...
Post Reply Post Reply
Post your latest sleepyhead image and see if someone can add to the discussion.
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 164 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 250 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 853 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,778 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 77 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 786 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.