Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Cleaning apnea equipment
Cleaning apnea equipment
Basic question. When we're cleaning the pieces, what are we looking out for? Certain types of bacteria? When I started, tech said not to use soap, but it seems that many do. What kind do folks think is best?

Thanks,
Nancy
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cleaning apnea equipment
I use soap. According to Resmed, who makes my APAP, you should clean in a mild soap and water solution. Yesterday I soaked my gear in control III for the first time (in new to this as well). I'm not sure I agree with no soap advice... this stuff is attached to your face.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a bit of Dawn Ultra dishwashing detergent to clean my mask. Once a week I clean the fabric headgear and the Pap-Cap Chin Strap I use with a bit of Woolite.

The mask, I have found cleans easiest when I place it, open side up in my left hand and squirt a bit of soap into it. I then run the very warm water into it to fill it up, then place my right hand over the cushioned opening to shake it up and use my fingers to wipe around the inside of the cushion. I let it drain and rinse the same way.

I make sure I rinse everything until there are no more soap suds left.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm new as well but I do:

- Daily: Mask
- Weekly: Mask strap, hose, and humidifier

I use the standard blue dawn dish soap.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dawn dish soap for me as well. I clean my mask cushion daily. I soak my hose, mask cushion and frame and water tank for a few minutes in Dawn and water, wash and then rinse well. My head gear and filters (yes I wash the fine filter) are included in the weekly routine once a month. I wipe down my machine with a damp rag as needed.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi lapopessa,
WELCOME! to the forum.!

I wash my hose, mask and humidifier water chamber in warm, mild soapy water, (Ivory Liquid).
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I soak my nasal pillow, mask, hose, chin strap and water reservoir in soapy (whole foods 365 value unscented dish soap) hot water for 1 hour, and then let everything air dry on a weekly basis. No problems so far.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use denture tablets. I figure the residue was safe to ingest, so if any was left on the mask, frame, or hose, it would be OK.
Plus there's the slightly minty scent.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I clean mine once a week.
I use vinegar and warm water to clean all items except the silicone parts. I use a kids toothbrush to get the gunk out of humidifier.
I rinse the vinegar off and let the stuff air dry.
I use Dish soap to watch the silicone parts.
Once a month, I hand wash the straps in dish soap and water.
Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cleaning F20/F30 QuietAir Elbow 70sSanO 13 5,779 04-12-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Magoo905
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 228 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 158 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 769 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 232 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,902 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 207 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.