Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask or Tape
RE: Mask or Tape
Newbee, I'll take a pic of my modified mask later today. A first for me to attach a photo :-)
Post Reply Post Reply

(01-26-2017, 09:08 AM)Newbee2016 Wrote:
(01-25-2017, 03:18 PM)BKeeper Wrote: I am a "lip leaker" - my body will do anything it can to leak my 16-17 cm/h2o pressure from my lips.  With a FFM, I am OK with a good chinstrap.  I just haven't found a FFM that works with my face and treatment pressures. So far the only thing that works for me is both a chin strap AND 2" of 3M micro pore tape, used with my P-10 mask. I have found that I need to wash my face and let dry before applying the tape, and press it in, or my bod will leak air thru the tape.  I use a power-off alarm at home to alert me if power goes off, and on the road, I use a P-10 mask to which I have done a Rube Goldberg addition of an anti-asphyxiation valve. It took me a while to figure all this out.  I am hopeful my current experiments with F-20 mask give me an alternative to the tape :-)

Hi BKeeper, are you able to share pictures of your anti-asphyxiation valve setup?
OK, Newbee, hopefully I've properly attached a photo.  I unclipped the valve from an Amara View; cut the hose off of a P-10 leaving the protrusion into which the hose is inserted; reamed out the hole a bit with a Dremel tool; jammed the valve from the Amara View into the hole; cemented the outside of the valve where it contacts the P-10 with Bondic.  I've used this set-up on several trips including a 6 week trip in our van - running off of van DC.  There is extra leverage (pushing down) by the valve which causes a bit more leak, but not enough to cause concern.
Dick
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2017, 05:09 PM)BKeeper Wrote:
(01-26-2017, 09:08 AM)Newbee2016 Wrote:
(01-25-2017, 03:18 PM)BKeeper Wrote: I am a "lip leaker" - my body will do anything it can to leak my 16-17 cm/h2o pressure from my lips.  With a FFM, I am OK with a good chinstrap.  I just haven't found a FFM that works with my face and treatment pressures. So far the only thing that works for me is both a chin strap AND 2" of 3M micro pore tape, used with my P-10 mask. I have found that I need to wash my face and let dry before applying the tape, and press it in, or my bod will leak air thru the tape.  I use a power-off alarm at home to alert me if power goes off, and on the road, I use a P-10 mask to which I have done a Rube Goldberg addition of an anti-asphyxiation valve. It took me a while to figure all this out.  I am hopeful my current experiments with F-20 mask give me an alternative to the tape :-)

Hi BKeeper, are you able to share pictures of your anti-asphyxiation valve setup?
OK, Newbee, hopefully I've properly attached a photo.  I unclipped the valve from an Amara View; cut the hose off of a P-10 leaving the protrusion into which the hose is inserted; reamed out the hole a bit with a Dremel tool; jammed the valve from the Amara View into the hole; cemented the outside of the valve where it contacts the P-10 with Bondic.  I've used this set-up on several trips including a 6 week trip in our van - running off of van DC.  There is extra leverage (pushing down) by the valve which causes a bit more leak, but not enough to cause concern.
Dick

Because the P10 didn't have the valve, so you've swapped the hose assemblies and joined the one from the Amara view to the nasal pillow frame. For a moment I couldn't see the join - very nicely done!  like

Thanks
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 309 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,164 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  mouth tape cberistain 15 670 02-21-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Mouth Tape Trick for Wimps (like me) Deborah K. 29 2,581 02-05-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: punkrockcholo
  For chronic mouth leakers using tape and getting mixed results, or even poor results. Expat31 1 400 12-14-2023, 12:33 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Mouth puffing up with tape shamrock72 12 2,189 11-02-2023, 01:29 PM
Last Post: antond
  PAP MD Mouth Tape Columbiabill 6 8,017 10-28-2023, 08:55 PM
Last Post: antiquefrek

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.