Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Home Tests
Home Tests
Looking to cut to the chase and get a machine with as little hassle as possible (e.g., no overnight tests in labs).  I am concerned about getting scammed or locked into a DME that will hold me hostage.  Does anyone have experience with home tests?  For example, will the ApneaLink Plus from Supplier #10 get me an Rx that I can use at that website and elsewhere?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Home Tests
You don't need a sleep study to get a prescription.  All you need is a doctor or a dentist that believes you have sleep apnea and will write a prescription for you.  I got mine from an ENT doctor after a look down my nose and a discussion of symptoms.  

Depending on your insurance, you might be better avoiding the DME entirely.  Amazon sells the Phillips DreamStation Auto for a low price, perhaps lower than your co-pay.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Kaunakakai,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you as you start your journey toward getting a CPAP machine and becoming a hosehead; Nothing meant by that, it is just what we call ourselves.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
For testing also check out Supplier #30. Your primary care doctor can work with you to get a prescription. Also, the easiest fastest way to get a machine and mask is just go to Amazon and check out a Philips Dreamstation Auto (around $400) and Resmed Airfit P10 ($65). No one will ask for a prescription through that channel, so you're on your own.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Kaunakakai, welcome to Apnea Board.

Some good advice above about sourcing a home test. I'd be very reluctant to go straight into getting a machine without a test or at least a clinical appraisal by doctor who knows something about apnea. We do tend to see all health matters through the prism of apnea on this forum (which is understandable) but I believe it's necessary to take an holistic view to ensure it really is apnea that's the problem and not some other condition which needs a very different type of treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might pick up a Pulse Oximeter, such as the Contec CMS 50D+ or more recent (in the $40-$55 US dollar range) to see if you are having any oxygen desaturations which take you lower than about 89%. If so, then you have some supporting evidence for asking your doc for a sleep study besides how you are feeling.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 89 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 531 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 65 5,911 03-19-2024, 07:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  REM and Sleep Stage Tracking at Home rwelliot 15 5,324 02-26-2024, 03:49 AM
Last Post: DebJ
  Home Sleep apnea test xaid 5 865 02-21-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: BDayton
  I cannot fall asleep with my bipap/home ventilator. Hypoglossal nerve stimulator? Jay51 220 14,582 01-17-2024, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Son Finished Home Sleep Test - Possible UARS? Skeptic 7 625 12-16-2023, 01:21 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.