Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why No mouth leaks when open Mouth ?
RE: Why No mouth leaks when open Mouth ?
Thank you all, for time effort taken to respond.

I am very happy then if is due to mastering the Mouth seal technique even if by accident as do not wear chin strap, and while have previously read of using tounge to seal mouth and may have attempted few times have just left things run the coarse and persisted with keeping mouth closed. Note when began using CPAP/APAP often woken with air gushing from mouth as if mouth had busted open due to much pressure in mouth, * noting was also at time more when initially trying and testing best personal pressure comfort range and pressure levels tested up to (14) I think before dropping back to lower pressure as I believed was achieving better comfort level minimal overall AHI difference and reduced CA.
Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2017, 09:51 PM)Jimsp1 Wrote: You wouldn't be able to blow up a balloon without air coming out your nose if you couldn't seal the nose from the mouth. I believe most that are successful with a nasal mask is not because they keep their mouth tightly closed while sleeping but it is because  they are able to keep the mouth-nose seal while sleeping. Trying to overcome the leaking between the nose and mouth by resorting to chip straps and mouth taping can result in the cheeks puffing up like a balloon. I assume that's why many end up using a FFM.

I agree with what you say in the case of tape. (Adding parenthetically that taping is a foolish and dangerous practice. One clue is that it's not recommended by any medical professional.)

But in the case of a chin strap I think that cheek-puffing is not a necessary result of successful chin strap use. The chin strap doesn't help you keep the lips sealed. When the jaw-closing muscles relax the jaw can drop so far that the mouth-nose seal is broken. This of course occurs at the base of the tongue, not at the lips. A chin strap allows you to open your mouth, but it prevents it from opening so far that the seal is broken.

You are correct in that if this doesn't work for you, the solution is a full face mask. A full face mask makes sure that the air pressure on both sides of that seal is elevated to the CPAP pressure, so the seal is less likely to break. Plus, if the seal does break it doesn't matter because the CPAP pressure is maintained in the airway.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-28-2017, 09:28 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I agree with what you say in the case of tape. (Adding parenthetically that taping is a foolish and dangerous practice. One clue is that it's not recommended by any medical professional.)

But in the case of a chin strap I think that cheek-puffing is not a necessary result of successful chin strap use. The chin strap doesn't help you keep the lips sealed. When the jaw-closing muscles relax the jaw can drop so far that the mouth-nose seal is broken. This of course occurs at the base of the tongue, not at the lips. A chin strap allows you to open your mouth, but it prevents it from opening so far that the seal is broken.

You are correct in that if this doesn't work for you, the solution is a full face mask. A full face mask makes sure that the air pressure on both sides of that seal is elevated to the CPAP pressure, so the seal is less likely to break. Plus, if the seal does break it doesn't matter because the CPAP pressure is maintained in the airway.

The cheek puffing occurs because the mouth is kept closed and the tongue seal is not working. The cheeks will puff out and one will get lip farts. The Jaw does not need to drop at all. If the jaw drop was required then the cheeks would not puff out.

The seal breaks for many of us who have FFMs and the air flowing through through the mouth will give us dry mouth so it does matter to some degree but as you said the airway pressure is maintained so the therapy is maintained.

Best rEgards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The OP may have inadvertently figured how to seal their nose using an internal reflex. Water polo players can do this trick. Check out a video by the LankyLefty27 on YouTube for how he does it. I've tried to do it the same way but haven't been succesfull. https://youtu.be/QYJbpifLWDs It's worth a watch, even just for how entertaining he is...absolutely hilarious video. But he actually does a lot of great videos and he's quite knowledgeable.
Post Reply Post Reply
The easiest way to figure this out is to take a sip of water in your mouth and not swallow. You will be surprised at how natural it is to breathe with water in your mouth, sitting up or laying down-we do it all the time without thinking. Do it and really pay attention to what position you are holding everything, this is exactly what you need to do to stop mouth leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Iceman: congrats on the progress even if it's inadvertent. You still get credit for it if you ask me.

Just add that to my list of admirable traits: Lazy. Sarcastic. No personality. I just went full face mask from the start, both initial CPAP after sleep study 2 years ago and also my new sleep study and a BiPAP unit this month. I'm naturally a mouth and nose combo breather while awake and sleeping, so I just defaulted to full face. Not saying I don't like my mask, because this Amara View is great for me. My lazy side kicked in there as well and didn't feel like conquering too many new things at once I guess.

I do want to suggest to a mask manufacturer to introduce a black FFM complete with Darth Vader sounds.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 21 2 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 361 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 281 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 159 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.