Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

40 days in and seem to being doing OK
40 days in and seem to being doing OK

It's almost been 40 days and I seem to be doing OK.  Sleepyhead summary is attached.  I have a follow-up sleep study next week and then will meet with my RX the following week.  I've been on a loaner machine up until this point and he will prescribe me a permanent machine when we meet.  Question ... why would anyone get a CPAP machine rather than an APAP?  My understanding is that APAP machines can function as CPAPs if needed?  Want to have as much info as needed when I meet with my RX.  Appreciate the help
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 40 days in and seem to being doing OK
Wow! Welcome. Those numbers are great. Keep up the good work.

As for your machine question: I would never go for a straight cpap/bipap, because I feel like my needs change day to day (diet, exercise, alcohol, altitude, etc). For some people they prefer a single setting. Since you can always set an APAP into straight CPAP mode, I would always go APAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello and welcome here,

Your numbers look great, you are doing well, congratulations!

CPAPs are cheaper than APAPs, so I think it's a matter of what your insurance allows you to buy. Also, some people do better on fixed pressure, so they are doing ok with their CPAP only, but you are right, it makes more sense to get an APAP if that is possible at all. Some doctors will automatically prescribe CPAP unless the patient asks specifically for an auto capable machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, insurance companies pay exactly the same to a DME/supplier whether it be a Cpap or Apap.

The difference is that your supplier makes  more of a profit by giving you the Cpap.

It may work differently for you since you are from Canada, but I would definitely get the Apap since you never know what your needs will be down the road.

Your numbers are excellent!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
With results like that, I wouldn't change a thing, and yet if you are prescribed CPAP, you will lose the upper and lower end of the therapy pressures that are working for you. Your pressure ranges from 7-13 with an apparent 90% pressure of about 9.8. That is what they would set the CPAP at. I'd push hard to keep APAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi pcplus2,
Sounds like you are off to a great start, CONGRATULATIONS.!
I would get an AutoPAP, you can always set it to a fixed pressure if you need to, but you will also have the ability to set a range of pressures as well, (for example, 7/20 Cm H2O,) all in one machine, cool.
Keep up the good work, good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy and also with your sleep study.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] New User; Fine Tuning- First 3 Days of Data jgthegrouch 9 422 01-16-2024, 02:25 PM
Last Post: jgthegrouch
  Abdominal pain from open mouth. 4 days Neo2020 1 340 01-03-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Bad O2 days with APAP? ikwtif 23 1,729 11-21-2023, 04:38 PM
Last Post: BeautifulDay
  [Treatment] Three days using Soft Cervical Collar, AHI 6.73, 4.81, 22.28; makes sense? Aldiorg 9 904 11-15-2023, 12:47 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Airsense 11 doesn't write SD data on some days only chipschap 7 673 10-07-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: chipschap
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 9 1,093 05-18-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: manders513
Wink [CPAP] SD CARD NOT SHOWING RECENT 12 DAYS * SOLVED * Samultra 1 502 05-12-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.