Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SURVEY RESULTS SHOCKING
RE: SURVEY RESULTS SHOCKING
I would readily agree with most replies in this thread. I cannot get my AHI below 1.0 on any sort of regular basis as you suggest, Murry... and believe me, I've tried. Best I've been able to do is hover around 1.5 - 2.0 or so, and that's after months of tinkering with settings.

On the issue of affording health care, I haven't had health insurance for years, but I was able to save up for a data-capable Auto-CPAP that I really couldn't afford at the time and the nearly $1000 expenditure put me into a financial bind, of sorts. I also can't afford to spend any additional funds towards an O2 thingie either. I'm so cheap that I've purchased "fish antibiotics" to use when needed, rather than spend money on a doctor's appointment and obtaining antibiotics for human use only. Most folks don't realize that the "fish antibiotics" used for aquarium fish are identical to those for human use, but currently don't require a prescription and are generally less costly than obtaining them from a pharmacy.

While you indeed are presenting some very good concepts that folks ought to take to heart, I think what may be rubbing some folks the wrong way is the seemingly authoritative stance that you seem to be taking for other concepts that are, at best, personal opinions offered up with little or no data/research/facts to back them up.

Might be best to avoid presenting some of your personal concepts and ideas in a way that seems condescending towards those who might disagree with your generalizations. Just a word to the wise, and (of course), just my personal opinion. Your mileage may vary. Coffee

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

(08-24-2012, 04:38 PM)TomR1 Wrote: I would think that an APAP set to auto like the S9 would solve what problems are solvable by this technology. Doesn't the system automatically scale the pressure to suit your conditions?

My problem is that the ResScan software does not load on my win7 64bit machine so I really can only check statistics occasionally

TomR1, in theory, yes, autoset should be the end all. But as we all know reality is a bit different than theory! Smile When I first got my APAP I left it to the 5-20 setting. Hated that! When it would detect an event and rtamp up to prevent it it was like one of those clowns at the circus that you shoot water in their mouths! As well, too high a pressure, it is believed, can lead to CAs. I keep mine set to 11.5-15.5 and the ups and downs of the nightly pressure changes do not affect my sleep as much. It still adjusts to my needs as my 95% hovers between 12.5 and 15.0 so there is a little room for more or less on any given day, but I find it more comfortable for me to keep it tighter.
Sorry I can't help you with the Rescan as I use "the other" machine! Smile
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
You know Murray, I've read and re-read what you have to say. First off please realize that this whole Poll thing is just a voluntary thing. We capture as much data as possible, but if you notice there are a lot of folks who went looking at it but did not answer it. Either they skimmed through it first, and then went back and answered it, or they answered it, then went back and reread everything. I hope you are not mixing up the poll results from research data. I'm just saying...
Secondly, my AHI is as low as I can get it. It bounces around from day to day. It is well under 5 but my 30 day is 1.33 and I am pretty danged stoked about that. There are more things than just O2 that can make you have a bad night's sleep on a regular basis. I take pain medication every night just to get what precious little sleep I get. We all know that medications screw with your sleep. One of the side effects is depressed respiration. I'm sure that gives my machine fits. Bottom line is that we are all different and we all have different needs and challenges to face. We do the best we can with our various medical conditions and while in a perfect world an AHI of 0.0 is quite an achievement, for some people a 5 is quite an achievement. The people on this board are here because they care about their condition and are trying to improve their lives. You don't have to agree, but I wanted people to know that there are other options and sometimes the best you can do is just fine! BTW, the EKG I had today says I am doing just fine!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
(08-24-2012, 05:48 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Most folks don't realize that the "fish antibiotics" used for aquarium fish are identical to those for human use, but currently don't require a prescription and are generally less costly than obtaining them from a pharmacy.
I have stopped eating salmon fish grown in pristine waters off Tasmania (which is more like battery hen of the sea) since heard Dr David Suzuki talking about the use of antibiotic in aquaculture.
(08-24-2012, 12:45 PM)TorontoCPAPguy Wrote: If you do not have your AHI down to below 1.0 EVERY night without exception (or at least are heading that way rapidly). If you are poo-poo'ing your situation, rest assured that your tombstone will read "Died peacefully in his/her sleep".

You are very much misinformed. There's not a shred of scientific evidence to support your outrageous claim.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
I'm closing this thread for the time being. Murray's post had some good info in it and even though I don't agree with some of his claims, I don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water, nor have this thread sink into a bashing of the OP.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 181 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 158 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 133 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  APAP Trial - First Night's Results - Interpretation? Juicy 9 4,178 03-04-2024, 09:34 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Help interpreting Oscar results stanley61 10 474 03-03-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: stanley61

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.