Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Tossing & Turning
Tossing & Turning
Brand new to the Sleep Apnea world.  I was recently diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea and prescribed an AirSense 10 CPAP machine along with a nasal mask (I tried nasal pillow but it was too uncomfortable).  I sleep on my side and toss & turn for what seems like an unending amount of times during fitful sleep.  Each time I shift to a new side, I wake from the sound/feeling of the nasal mask leaking.  These constant interruptions make my 3-4 hours of horrible sleep even worse.  The whole point of using the CPAP was to start getting restorative sleep for the first time in over 2 years.  I am a 53 year old man (5'9" 180lbs) and the nasal mask is a large, which seems to make sense for my head, but I'm certainly no expert.

My lack of sleep has all but killed any productivity during the day, rendering me helpless to the paralytic fatigue & constant brain fog. Any help would be so very appreciated...

Andy
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tossing & Turning
Print out the fitting guide and you won't have to guess: http://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/p...er_eng.pdf

Hose management is the key to avoiding the mask moving around when you move. I use a lanyard to attach the hose to the headboard, suspending it so it move with me. A Hose Buddy is an inexpensive solution that does the same thing. If ou're tossing and turning you may not be sleeping well. Memory foam mattresses tend to hold you in place better and relieve pressure points. It's normal to move at night, but if it's excessive, look for a reason.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I take it you did not toss and turn before. Cpap is an on going learning experience. I would suggest you install sleepy head software and post some screen shots. The people here will help. With out sleepy head you do not know what is going on.

Hang in there, Car54
Post Reply Post Reply
You could also try the PR dreamwear mask. It's not always a perfect fit, but its innovative in that the hose connects on the top of the head which gives you a little more freedom to move around. It's also incredibly comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hated the nasal mask and probably would have discontinued PAP if I hadn't tried the nasal pillow. You might consider giving the pillows one more try. They also come in multiple sizes, and I find that one size larger than is recommended for my nose was the most comfortable.

I can also confirm the issue of "hose management" as something you'll need to address to optimize your setup. I'm a big believer in getting the hose up above your head with just enough slack to allow you to change positions during the night.

If you're still having issues, consider that it can take awhile to adjust to therapy. In the interim, just do everything you can to make yourself setup comfortable, including trying different masks / sizes, and getting the hose out of your way.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi funyscribe,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I use a hose lift to loop my hose through, it keeps it up and out of the way so I don’t wind up laying on it.
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help fine turning APAP settings for better night sleep livsmonster 4 805 04-26-2023, 12:47 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Airsense 11: SmartStart is Off, but Airsense keeps turning on by itself kklein 4 3,645 03-09-2023, 08:34 PM
Last Post: kklein
  AirSense 11 Turning Off Humidifier? CChamp 3 5,854 06-09-2022, 11:30 AM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Looks like I am turning my machine on and off all night piratekitty 16 1,634 12-02-2021, 02:59 PM
Last Post: piratekitty
  Newbie - Stuffy nose turning me into mouth breather Bert S 16 1,890 10-15-2021, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Bert S
  Filters turning black? RosieB08 11 6,338 08-12-2021, 08:45 PM
Last Post: SleeplessinPgh
  Aircurve 10 st turning off while sleeping. OregonCentral 2 722 07-04-2021, 04:30 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.