Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DME Customer Service
Question 
DME Customer Service
I found a fantastic DME (due to gleaning the recommendation here) right before I moved across the country. I intend to keep them, despite the distance.

I got my machine from them, and a mask. They called after a couple weeks, to ask how things are going. I said very well except I feel the mask (Amara View) seems to leak here and there, so I'm trying to figure out how to adjust it better. The guy said he'd like to look at my data to see what's going on.  I don't have the cellular part plugged in for various reasons (EMFs, but also for privacy).

I hesitate to plug it in and let him see my data, because I don't understand how that will help him help me get a better mask fit.  (Plus I'm already troubleshooting that here with you all.) Also, I would prefer he not see that I've messed with my Rx settings... mainly because I don't want him to reset them. Next time they call, I'll just say that all is peachy, and I'll let them know what different I'd like to get (ie: I think I'll try a pillow next time I am due for a new mask).

Is there any need for me to allow my DME to see my data?  

What sort of "customer service" should we expect from a good DME?  And what goes into being too intrusive?  Or is that just a personal preference?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DME Customer Service
The DMEs need to see the data (usage mainly) depends upon your insurance. If you are using insurance there is an initial compliance phase.
I have seen people become irritated when a DME changes a setting by remote (that would upset me too).

Assuming insurance, you may use a DME that's across the country. I do. My doctor has to keep a current Rx with them for me to get supplies under insurance.

Summary: There may be a legitimate need for a DME to see your data during the initial compliance phase.
What's intrusive is a personal line that you draw.

There are some occupations that require proof of compliance or you don't work.
Pilot, Commercial driver...

Look for your medical privacy to be eroded away (sorry, I found a soapbox).
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thankfully my insurance doesn't require compliance.   like   Although I've been 100% compliant thus far (minus my 2nd night where I only wore it 3.5 hours).

And my insurance does allow me to use the DME no matter where I live, so that's in my favor too.

I don't have anyone requiring me to use the CPAP.  I sort of self-referred (told my dr about my symptoms, and he agreed to refer to sleep study).  So it's simply for my own livelihood that I'm on CPAP.   Dancing
Post Reply Post Reply
You could always send an email with a chart from Sleepyhead or Resscan to show an example of the leaks you're worried about. I would not worry too much about EMF from the machine at that distance (it has to comply with pretty stringent standards), and I have never heard of someone's CPAP data being stolen. As far as the prescription, leave a message with your doctor, you found what works, and have him change it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2017, 05:01 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: You could always send an email with a chart from Sleepyhead or Resscan to show an example of the leaks you're worried about.  I would not worry too much about EMF from the machine at that distance (it has to comply with pretty stringent standards), and I have never heard of someone's CPAP data being stolen. As far as the prescription, leave a message with your doctor, you found what works, and have him change it.
I actually can't sleep when someone has a cell phone in my sleeping area (it has to be off or in airplane mode, or my brain just will not shut down).  Oh-jeez   It's annoying... I'd prefer to not be this sensitive... but it's just how my body is.  So, no cellular component for me.

I do understand that I can plug it in to allow it to transmit, and then unplug it and store it far away where I'm storing it.  I sort of wonder if I should bother doing that for the DME... but I'm kinda opting for it being a bit intrusive, and I don't know if I want the DME to know that I've messed with my settings. (That's what I'm trying to sort out.)

Good idea on offering to send an email with a SH chart!  When I first got the machine and mask, I mentioned SH to the guy and he said he kinda sorta had heard of it.  I'll feel him out more, next time he calls.
Post Reply Post Reply
I found the Therapedic reading wedge is working well to keep me propped on my side. Others have used pregnancy pillows, or physical therapy wedges. The PT wedges are pricey.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can My Luna 3b Be 'Bricked' (deactivated) by Doctor or Service? Frostlight 10 1,234 08-03-2023, 12:11 AM
Last Post: Psychotech
  Remstar Auto M Series "Service Required" msgill59 24 36,234 01-08-2023, 07:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  IntelliPAP 2 & IntelliPAP Blue (DV63 & DV64) Service Manual now available SuperSleeper 0 461 11-21-2022, 04:32 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Sefam s box service manual Stevo. 2 1,182 06-24-2022, 07:40 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Does Wellue customer service respond to you? SleeperAwake21 1 659 01-06-2022, 06:58 AM
Last Post: Ratchick
  Phillips System One needs service? jackhartjr 7 910 09-20-2021, 06:34 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Sad Apria Healthcare Customer Service NOT GOOD rhyman 14 1,868 08-20-2021, 09:00 PM
Last Post: stanleydean

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.