Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need advise. My current CPAP and/or mask is too noisy.
Need advise. My current CPAP and/or mask is too noisy.
Hello everybody, after trolling and reading disussions I have finally joined and need some advice. I am currently using the Resmed S9 and airfit F10 full facemask. I am using a pressure of 16. My problem is that my mask and/or machine are too loud for my wife. She was using ear plugs and had to move to another room. I don't hear anything (granted I do have some hearing problems). I don't hear or feel any leakage. I have an appointment with my doctor in about 3 weeks. I am considering upgrading my cpap to an apap, either the Resmed Airsense 10 or PR Dreamaster (any recommendations would be appreciated) and the Resmed Airfit f20 mask, which is supposed to be better and quieter than the f10. I Would appreciate any suggestions. Also, is there a big difference in the Airsense 10 and Dreamaster's noise level. I read that the Greamaster was quieter, but is there a big difference?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need advise. My current CPAP and/or mask is too noisy.
No machine should be that noisy that your partner has to move to another room.   Smile

Both the DreamStation or Airsense 10 are good machines and both should be quiet.

Good luck in your decision.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've used both the S9 and Dreamstation and they both seemed equally quiet to me.  Unless your wife has very sensitive hearing, it sounds like you have some large leaks or something is wrong with your machine.  If it is the former, and the noises are coming from the machine not the mask, you can try putting it on a towel or something else that is soft or in a drawer in a night table next to your bed.  If the noises are coming from the mask then I would suspect leaks.  Adjusting the straps might help, or a different mask might suit your face better.  Getting the right mask is both important and very personal, you need a mask that suits you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sterling147,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck on your machine decision and also with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your help. After further discussion with my wife, it appears that the mask was at fault and leaking when I changed positions in my sleep. I changed cushions and tightened the straps and the noise level seems to have dropped. I am hoping the silence continues. Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
I suggest you download and use SleepyHead software if it is compatible with your machine. It will show th duration and size of the leaks. The MyAir report from ReMed is very inaccurate with respect to leaks. I'm assuming, of course that your machine has an SD card and will supply data. I'm not familiar with many of the machines.

Get SleepyHead heare: https://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./

It will also help you to track the variables that effect your therapy and, by posting data on the forum, you can get help in improving the quality of your sleep.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2017, 02:46 PM)Sterling147 Wrote: Hello everybody, after trolling and reading disussions I have finally joined and need some advice. I am currently using the Resmed S9 and airfit F10 full facemask. I am using a pressure of 16. My problem is that my mask and/or machine are too loud for my wife. She was using ear plugs and had to move to another room. I don't hear anything (granted I do have some hearing problems). I don't hear or feel any leakage. I have an appointment with my doctor in about 3 weeks. I am considering upgrading my cpap to an apap, either the Resmed Airsense 10 or PR Dreamaster (any recommendations would be appreciated) and the Resmed Airfit f20 mask, which is supposed to be better and quieter than the f10. I Would appreciate any suggestions. Also, is there a big difference in the Airsense 10 and Dreamaster's noise level. I read that the Greamaster was quieter, but is there a big difference?
Thank you in advance for your help.

I was just wondering if it was air noise or noise from the machine, was it vibrating of causing drumming on a table or something?
The noise of the air even at the pressure you are at should not be that bad, unless your partner is a very light sleeper.
Air hitting blankets etc can be noisy though, so keep bedding away from the vents of the mask.
I know, it is not easy at times! 
My machine is at head height and I rarely get a complaint unless something is not quite right with the machine, or air is hitting bedding.

Just wait until you turn round and it blows air in your partners face!   Rolleyes

Hope you get it sorted out, nothing worse than a lonely bed   Unsure
Post Reply Post Reply
You could get a white noise tape and play it as you both go to sleep.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2017, 08:13 AM)Sterling147 Wrote: Thank you for your help. After further discussion with my wife, it appears that the mask was at fault and leaking when I changed positions in my sleep. I changed cushions and tightened the straps and the noise level seems to have dropped. I am hoping the silence continues. Thanks again.

Yep.  The S9 is pretty quiet.  You could put it on the floor under the bed to make it even quieter.

When I was just starting CPAP, I began with a nasal mask.  That leaked any time I had skin oil.  Carefully washing my face and the mask helped.   I switched to ResMed P10 nasal pillows and leaks rarely ever happen.  Fortunately, I'm not a mouth breather.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gross 
Thank you for the advice. I downloaded Sleepyhead and the results were scary. I had a very high AHI, a small amount of major leakage, and that I am snoring, which my wife confirmed was /is part of the problem. Luckily I have an appointment with my doctor a week from Tuesday when I return to NY. Thanks again for the suggestion.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 65 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  First Night Looking for advise wjg1 4 178 03-12-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 297 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 343 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New CPAP user - Fine Tuning Settings/Mask Help slowmo2000 0 260 01-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: slowmo2000
  New CPAP User - f30i Mask Troubles CcReesezzzzz01 6 824 01-31-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: CcReesezzzzz01
Question [CPAP] Help to understand current situation and OSCAR data 3dkid14 0 254 01-18-2024, 04:21 AM
Last Post: 3dkid14

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.