Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Do you use a nasal spray or neti pot, and how often?
This poll is closed.
I use a neti pot.
15.48%
13 15.48%
I use a saline nasal spray.
16.67%
14 16.67%
I use a medicated nasal spray.
17.86%
15 17.86%
I do not use a neti pot or nasal spray.
7.14%
6 7.14%
Twice a day.
4.76%
4 4.76%
Daily.
15.48%
13 15.48%
2 or 3 days a week.
4.76%
4 4.76%
Weekly.
2.38%
2 2.38%
Other.
15.48%
13 15.48%
Total 84 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Poll: Use of nasal sprays or neti pots
Poll: Use of nasal sprays or neti pots
When I went to my follow-up appointment with my sleep doctor, he recommended using a nasal spray in order to relieve congestion. Nasonex and Flonase cost too much, and I'm not about to use Afrin. All that's left is saline spray. I bought a neti pot, figuring that it it is another form of saline and may clean more thoroughly than the spray. I've been reading conflicting information about how often to use it. Some people use it twice a day, but others say that daily use of the neti pot can be harmful. I would be interested in hearing about the experiences of other people using nasal sprays and neti pots.

It took me a while to get over my aversion to sticking fluids up my nose, but it's not nearly as bad as I imagined.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Poll: Use of nasal sprays or neti pots
I use the kind with the bottle, not the pot. I use it periodically, not daily. Like most things, it is best to use when needed, not just because.

In the spring when pollen is amok, I use it daily, usually right before going to bed.

In the winter, when the humidity is low, I will use it in the morning to help moisturize the inside of my nose.

It didn't take me long to get over the 'water up the nose' bit. I was surprised at that. Probably because it is a non-medicated solution to a problem. I like those kinds.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Flonase now has a generic and is pretty cheap. Always use distilled water in your neti pot.
Post Reply Post Reply
The neti pot is weak. The Neil Med sinus rinse bottle does a much better job of flushing out the sinuses. I do it whenever I feel like I need it. I may do it two or three times a day if I have a cold or am congested due to an infection. Sometimes I'll go weeks without doing it.

If you feel the need for a sinus spray you can just carry a bottle of the saline solution.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use FLO nasal and sinus douche bottle (Australian brand similar to Neilmed sinus rinse) which also comes with a reduced salt content sachet.
Recently start using Avamys nasal spray (Veramyst - US) same price as Nasonex but works better
Post Reply Post Reply
I use Avamys as well. It is much better then Nasonex, Flonase, or Beconase....I've used them all! Remarkably, when I started CPAP therapy just over 5 years ago, my sense of smell diminished considerably, and so too did the congestion. I use Rhinaris Lubricating Nasal Gel® (Pharmascience) or Secaris® (Pharmascience) nasal gels applied with a cotton swab. They provide a much longer lasting solution to the dryness and sense of congestion than do saline sprays.

As for rinsing the sinuses, I use to use a nasal irrigator made by a company called Grossan. With this product, you mix a warm water solution of special saline mix and then place this in the unit. There is a wand affixed with a specially designed attachment to put into one nostril at a time. Turn the unit it on and a pulsating stream of saline solution is sent up on nostril, and comes out the other, washing away all of the pollutants along the way. You do this with half of the solution, and repeat in the other nostril. It sounds gross, but it works! During my really bad times with allergies, I used this unit twice a day. It really refreshes your sinuses, and don't worry you'll get used to it.

You can get this on Amazon or other places I'm sure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't use either. Never needed to.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2012, 06:33 AM)EyesWideOpen Wrote: With this product, you mix a warm water solution of special saline mix and then place this in the unit. There is a wand affixed with a specially designed attachment to put into one nostril at a time. Turn the unit it on and a pulsating stream of saline solution is sent up on nostril, and comes out the other, washing away all of the pollutants along the way. You do this with half of the solution, and repeat in the other nostril. It sounds gross, but it works! During my really bad times with allergies, I used this unit twice a day. It really refreshes your sinuses, and don't worry you'll get used to it.

All of this istrue of the NeilMed sinus rinse, except there's no pump or wand. You just squeeze the bottle. I agree that it sounds gross, but it does work. Very well.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
I voted for several of the products
I will use whatever I can get my hands on.
I will use it (PRN) or as needed.
Right now, I am in the "two a days" with the NeilMed because of the high count of >>Ragweed<< this time of year.
I used the neti pot for years until I came upon the NeilMed squeez bottle. Can't beat it for results!!
I also make my own saline solution of 1/8 teaspoon of Kosher salt and a pinch of baking soda, per 8 oz of tempit water.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
I use any of several different approaches. I use the generic version of flonase (flucticasone?) which isn't expensive. The flonase is mostly for allergies and works OK. I also use ipratropium which is the nasal spray version of atrovent at nite and also is a generic. The only problem is it only works for about 4 or 5 hours. Maybe one or two days a week I'll use an OTC nasal spray but try to aviod using it more than two days in a row or three times a week. I've used nasal saline irrigation with a squeeze bottle. Some might find that too much compared to a neti. Also have a Waterpik nasal version of a squeeze bottle. If the basic squeeze bottle is too much for you, don't even go near the Waterpik nasal irrigator. Just like a regular waterpik it pulses and is pretty strong.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 326 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 866 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Using Nasal Strips along with Nasal mask or pillows Bostonsnow 6 1,160 07-18-2023, 07:09 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal Dilators st1800e 9 1,398 06-19-2023, 07:16 AM
Last Post: st1800e
  Nasal Congestion Rgn3 16 1,485 05-08-2023, 03:17 PM
Last Post: hopeforusall
  [Pressure] Nasal IrritTion? NannyRobina 2 616 06-20-2022, 09:30 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Nasal swelling/congestion after 3~5 hrs with CPAP, will steroid nasal spray work? ronragus 7 1,270 03-17-2022, 10:04 AM
Last Post: hegel

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.