Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Do you use a nasal spray or neti pot, and how often?
This poll is closed.
I use a neti pot.
15.48%
13 15.48%
I use a saline nasal spray.
16.67%
14 16.67%
I use a medicated nasal spray.
17.86%
15 17.86%
I do not use a neti pot or nasal spray.
7.14%
6 7.14%
Twice a day.
4.76%
4 4.76%
Daily.
15.48%
13 15.48%
2 or 3 days a week.
4.76%
4 4.76%
Weekly.
2.38%
2 2.38%
Other.
15.48%
13 15.48%
Total 84 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Poll: Use of nasal sprays or neti pots
RE: Poll: Use of nasal sprays or neti pots
(08-26-2012, 11:48 AM)JudgeMental Wrote: I also make my own saline solution of 1/8 teaspoon of Kosher salt and a pinch of baking soda, per 8 oz of tempit water.

Me too. Except I use regular table salt. It dissolves faster cause the crystals are smaller. I don't measure, just eyeball it.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a Neto Pot only occasionally when I get a stuffed up nose due to a cold or something. Seems to work okay for me.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I suffer badly with blocked sinuses so I use a squeeze bottle saline solution (Salex) once a day before going to sleep with a generic of Flixonase twice a day.
If I am really congested then I use Iliaden decongestant spray as well.

I have found that since using the PAP machine I have not had as many problems with reflux which has resulted in not waking up with one nostril being totally blocked. I am hoping this will help my sinuses in the long run.
Post Reply Post Reply
Per my ENT's instructions, I use the Neil Med's bottle rinse in the morning and Nasonex at bedtime. I learned the hard-way not to use the Nasonex after the nasal flush - it burns!
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the feedback. I'm now ready to answer my own poll. I use the neti pot daily, but I'm keeping some of the other suggestions in mind for future reference.

I'm now sleeping a bit longer since congestion isn't waking me up. My AHI has gone down from about 3.5 to about 2.5, and my leaks are down. I'm not sure yet if it's made a difference with the pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use nasal sprays its called equate does not cost much ,I was using it a lot maybe 3 to 4 times a day, my Dr.told me to mix it with water 50/50 then 75/25 this was before I had Septoplasty/Tubinate Reduction the spray worked just as good mixed with water I could not tell any difference ,after surgery he told me to use Saline and have not needed the equate but only once a night some nights.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I also use the WaterPik powered nasal irrigator; works great for me. I skip the salt as I am on a low salt regimine and just use distilled water, sometimes with a splash of hydrogen peroxide.
Post Reply Post Reply
I doubt the salt in the water would increase your sodium intake any. It is such a low amount to begin with, even if some is absorbed via the mucous membrane of your sinuses. The salt helps it to not burn. The baking soda helps with the pH.

The 'recipe' others mention above contains just 1/8 of a teaspoon of table/kosher salt. Table salt contains just 40% sodium. Since the solution is a rinse, not a soak, the amount of sodium you intake would be minimal.

But I guess if it doesn't burn, go for it. But for me, just the idea of plain water in a rinse is painful.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 314 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 861 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Using Nasal Strips along with Nasal mask or pillows Bostonsnow 6 1,156 07-18-2023, 07:09 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal Dilators st1800e 9 1,392 06-19-2023, 07:16 AM
Last Post: st1800e
  Nasal Congestion Rgn3 16 1,482 05-08-2023, 03:17 PM
Last Post: hopeforusall
  [Pressure] Nasal IrritTion? NannyRobina 2 612 06-20-2022, 09:30 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Nasal swelling/congestion after 3~5 hrs with CPAP, will steroid nasal spray work? ronragus 7 1,267 03-17-2022, 10:04 AM
Last Post: hegel

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.