Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Snoring
Snoring
I have been using an APAP since Dec 2016,

Originally diagnosed as serious with an AHI 64,

My question is with regards to the snoring index, the dream machine, indicates I am snoring all night, yet when I record my night noises, I hear no snoring.

What might be triggering the unit?

Any suggestions re treatment most welcome. TIA.

Ooops!  seems I cannot post my screen shots as I am still in diapers and suckling!

... Philip
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Snoring
Is your mask leaking at all?  When I was using a full-face mask (F&P Simplus) the DreamStation would often detect "face fart" type leaks as snoring.  I mentioned it to my sleep tech and she was familiar with the situation.  If that is the case, a different mask or adjusting that mask differently  to avoid the leaks should result in more accurate reporting.  Is the machine raising pressure in response to this detected snoring?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm betting that you're looking at the VS2 events on Sleepyhead.  If that's the case, I get the same indicators and I know that I'm not snoring.  I've read on this forum that that VS2 in not accurate and it was suggested to turn VS2 off in the events chart.  Another interesting thing I noticed was that when I was using the Respironics System One, I never showed snoring in VS2.  As soon as I changed to the Dream Station, I show several VS2 events every night.  And as I said, I'm not snoring since being on APAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I will post my screen shot as soon as I am allowed

...  Philip
Post Reply Post Reply
With regards to mask farting and leaking, I have a full face beard (medical reasons), so the farting is not an issue, leaking is inherent. and always has been

I have been wearing a mask (for different reasons) for the past 40+ yrs, and have been trained to mouth breath..
Rescue/recovery diver and Fire investigator, both required the use of BA.

Since using APAP and FF, I have learned to nose breath, some what noisy at times which could explain the snore index.

This should get me to the point of being able to address the posting limitations..

...  Philip
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=3277]
[attachment=3275]
Well here goes,

The latest screenshot reflects a change in max pressure from 11 to 12..  My AHI's have been good ever since I started therapy, and I am now sleeping much better.

...  Philip
Post Reply Post Reply
Aquanaut,

I laughed when I saw your posts.  They look like mine right down to the pressure range.  You will note in the events screen, it is the VS2 (vibratory snore 2) index that is splashing red all over the screen.  Go into file, preferences, and the events tab where you can uncheck VS2.  That will take the red out and as I said above, VS2 is not relevant.  (Perhaps someone can explain why.  I know it's been discussed before.)

On your second post, it appears that your pressure does increase in relation to your VS1 snores.  So you do have some snoring events but not too many.

You also have more hypopneas than other events and again, that's what my graphs looked like.  I just upped my lower pressure to 8.5.  Since having done so 9 days ago, I am now averaging nightly AHI's of 0.5 and it cleared my hypopneas up.  You may want to give that a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
Aquanaut20,
I would turn off VS2 in perferences.  These are not real snores and just clutter your events graph.  

Leave VS on...these are real snores.

Your numbers look pretty good.  

Between aprox. 2:24 and 4:48, your machine is responding to VS snores and some flow limiation.
I would either turn the AFlex setting off, or raise the minimum pressure by 1 and see if that helps.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wel, I tweeked my pressures, shut off the VS2 and seems I may have hit the sweet spot..

Time will tell..   Thanks

[attachment=3281]

...  Philip
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks good!
Just keep in mind that every night is different based on many different variables, and your AHI numbers will go up and down.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,505 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,597 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 935 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  [Diagnosis] Help with Snoring Sleepster 14 1,005 11-19-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Snoring ,treating hyponeas and flow limits Bluesv6 3 532 09-30-2023, 07:16 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Low O2 and Snoring Bigdonpaul 44 2,429 04-10-2023, 12:17 PM
Last Post: Bigdonpaul
  For Hypopneas, RERAs/snoring-IPAP increase/PS what is to much/effects ? KeepSmiling 1 783 11-06-2022, 09:45 PM
Last Post: KeepSmiling

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.