Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ear Ache & Sinus Headache - Just started CPAP therapy
Ear Ache & Sinus Headache - Just started CPAP therapy
I've been reading for a couple days and thought it was time to post. I'm new at all this. I was diagnosed with Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea a month ago. My AHI was 85.4 in the sleep study. I've done 11 nights on a new ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet with a nasal pillows mask, and my AHI has been below 4 every night with a best night of 0.8. I feel better rested than I have in months.

So far there has only been one negative: I've had what feels like a sinus headache and ear ache that gets worse throughout the day. I had nothing before starting treatment. I'm loving the sleep and breathing in general, but I'm hoping the headache and ear ache aren't going to be the trade off to get that. I've attached last night's SleepyHead data.

Any ideas?

[attachment=3282]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ear Ache & Sinus Headache - Just started CPAP therapy
Welcome to the forum. I'm afraid I can't help you with your problem and I doubt the SleepyHead data will provide much help. But there may be others who have dealt with similar problems.

It appears you are doing well with respect to controlling your apnea but 4-20 seems like more of a range than you may need. A tighter range will probably give you even better control. But first, additional data will be required. I recommend that you organize your charts as described in the link in my signature. It will provide more useful data for assassinating you in fine tuning your settings.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
do all the preventative stuff for it
http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/tc/bl...overview#1

Last resort is, I would back off the max pressure, 1cm at a time for a while 12cm? , which will increase your events a bit. Hopefully it will settle down soon for you.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2017, 11:26 PM)Melman Wrote: It will provide more useful data for assassinating you in fine tuning your settings.

Don't worry, I don't carry a gun with a silencer. I'm just not careful when I let the spell checker make substitutions. Laugh-a-lot
My kids really get a laugh from some of the texts I send from my cell phone.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Lou28,
Im not sure about the headache and earache, but I can see from your graph that your pressure setting is not optimal for you.  

Your minimum pressure is too low to tackle the apneas.  It looks like you should be at 10cm minimum and 15cm max setting, but I would start by moving up the minimum to 9cm and 15 max and see if that helps.  If you are going to use ramp, start it at 6 for 15 minutes.

You could try an overnight recording oximeter to be sure your oxygen levels are not dropping too much at night.  See Supplier #19. Also, how are your blood pressure readings?  

Order the Clinicians manual for your machine:
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Lou28,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy and getting your pressure dialed in to better meet your needs, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Lou28

Your min pressure is too low. Moving it up as OpalRose suggests would provide the floor support and may actually also reduce the need for the machine to auto adjust to almost 14H2O.

Do also arrange your sleepyhead charts so we can see the pressure and leak rate charts clearly. Follow the link below on how to do that.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization

All the best with your treatment.
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Lou, welcome to the forum. It's pretty clear the minimum pressure needs to be increased to put you closer to your therapeutic needs. As far as the ear and sinus headache, it's not normally a side-effect for the therapy, unless there is an underlying cause. If it continues, be sure to check for possible low-grade sinus or ear infection.

Your machine offers a comfort feature that might assist with the higher pressure and give you some relief for the pressure on your ears. Exhale Relief Pressure (EPR) can be used to reduce the pressure during the exhale phase of breathing, and it can be set to provide a pressure relief of 1 to 3 cm. You may want to give it a try as it can really enhance comfort, but I would choose the lowest setting (1, 2, 3) that feels right and keeps your results acceptable. It should be available in My Options menu on your machine, but if it was not enabled, you may need to go into the clinical settings. You will be doing that anyway to adjust he minimum pressure. Just press the control knob and home button (bottom center) at the same time, then select clinical settings. You can then scroll through the options. Your minimum pressure will be near the top of the settings menu, and EPR will be under Comfort settings farther down. Also be sure to enable PLUS on the Essentials option so you get full therapy data on the menus.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider,

I turned on the EPR to 1 last night. It has been off to this point. I'm still trying to decide if it helped or not.
Post Reply Post Reply
I found I never really noticed much difference at 1 and my pressure settings are similar to yours (or better put, close to where I think your pressure settings may end up landing.) I found a setting of 2 didn't affect my results much and was quite a bit more comfortable than 1. When I tried 3, I found I got a few more CA events and it didn't really add much to my comfort level.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 67 1,053 47 minutes ago
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] 6bez8dF5lf - Therapy Help, 6bez8dF5lf 9 222 2 hours ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  michaelyu15 - Therapy Help michaelyu15 18 370 4 hours ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 1 72 Yesterday, 10:23 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 71 1,354 Yesterday, 08:23 PM
Last Post: Little Olive
  liebano - Therapy Analysis liebano 17 598 04-16-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: liebano
  johnathanb76 - Therapy Help In Migrating to a Resmed johnathanb76 27 492 04-14-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: johnathanb76

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.