Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

excessive pressure?
excessive pressure?
I've been using a Respironics REMStarAuto M series with ResMed Mirage Swift nasal pillow for close to 10 years--virtually no problems. Pressure range 4-20. As it is aging and making noises, we are replacing it.)

Am now trying to use a ResMed AirSense10 Autoset with ResMed AirFit P10. Pressure range 5-20. Humidifiers on both machines.

About 25-40 minutes into session, pressure starts billowing my cheeks and venting through mouth. It has never been a problem with previous machine. If i sleep through that, I am awakened by painfully dry mouth. My wife and I were awakened by my throat or back of mouth making slapping sounds as if opening and closing. If I position my mouth to prevent venting, pressure builds in my ears or esophagus.

Have tried using old pillows on new machine, and see no change.

I expected a simple transition to a new machine, but feel like this is a medieval torture device which only allows me to sleep 45 minutes to an hour between painful awakenings.

Ideas?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: excessive pressure?
should have added that my pressure has been running 14.5 to 14.7 most of those nights that I tried to use the new machine all night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome!

Wow, what a different experience between the two machines! As I am somewhat of a newbie myself, I don't really have any advice for you. But I do believe it would help if you were able to narrow your pressure range to provide more optimal treatment. If you'd like help with that, it'll help us if you upload a screenshot of your sleep data. Many of us here use Sleepyhead.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to have a Resmed M-Series Auto, and am using a Resmed Auto Bilevel now, which is pretty similar to your current unit. I think the trick here is to try to determine what pressure your old M-series was delivering, and try to replicate that to start with. The Resmed is more aggressive, and it can be limited if necessary. I don't think there ia any harm in setting the Resmed to 5-11 pressure and see if this improves your experience. Don't forget you can use EPR (exhale relief pressure) settings to make exhalation easier and more comfortable. You will need to use it for a few days and then check whether this pressure is avoiding obstructive events to an acceptable level.

Be sure to download #Sleepyhead which will make it much easier to assess your results.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi swampdog,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You could try setting a range of pressures such as 11 CmH2O for your minimum, and 17CmH2O for your maximum, and see how that works for you. Do hang around for more pressure suggestions, as two or more heads are better than 1.
Be sure to download the data-management software called: #sleepyhead then after a couple more posts, you can post some data so people can get a better idea as to how to help you.
Good luck as you continue your CPAP therapy and also with your new machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  excessive snore on report jentlesoal 0 174 02-06-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: jentlesoal
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,629 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  [Treatment] Excessive Sleepiness Despite "Good" Data. Advice Wanted iamverysleepy 2 669 10-19-2023, 05:59 PM
Last Post: iamverysleepy
  Excessive CA Events JoeS01 30 1,836 10-15-2023, 03:13 PM
Last Post: JoeS01
  Excessive air leak? JoeS01 3 440 09-21-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 922 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Oscar analysis - Excessive sleepiness after successful therapy jesslarsen21 3 628 06-03-2023, 10:14 AM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.