Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tounge falling back does chinstrap help?
Tounge falling back does chinstrap help?
Yep the ol tounge falls back to far blocks airway or causes pap air to go  into mouth.,

Will a chinstrap,  tied tight help hold tounge between teeth?

Can  one of you kind souls recomend one that does this funtion.

Thanx a bunch.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tounge falling back does chinstrap help?
A chin strap will not lock the tongue in a position.

I don't know what you have tried or not tried to manage your mouth breathing or mouth leak. 

Mouth Breathing is when you open your mouth and the air pressure from your PAP is venting out your mouth typically showing on your charts as a large leak which can substantially negate the effectiveness of your therapy. It is generally not good. The solution varies depending on the person
How to manage Mouth Breathing, not in any particular order.
Tongue Trick. Place the tongue on the roof of the mouth, Practice during the daytime. The idea is to train the tongue that this is a good place to be, not overnight, but it works for some.
Chin Strap. A chin strap is to manage mouth leaks from a variety of causes. Most result from the jaw dropping or opening either partially or wider. The chin strap is to gently keep the jaw closed. If you have to crank it shut to make it work this is not the correct solution. Note that your jaw is strong enough to open if it wants to.  A different type of chin strap is sold as "Ultimate Chin Strap"  search for it
Cervical collar. A Cervical Collar may also be used to keep the jaw from dropping.
Mouth Guard. The concept here is a closed mouth guard to keep the air from leaking out.
Taping. The purpose of taping is to seal the lips and prevent mouth leaks / mouth breathing. It is not to stop the mouth from opening. I make sure that I can easily open my mouth, when taped, if I need to.
FFM – Full Face Mask or Hybrid Mask. This is a very traditional solution and it is generally effective.
Dry mouth is a symptom mouth breathing that is uncomfortable. It can and does occur with some users of a Full Face Mask. Many users use a product called Biotene to get relief from this symptom.

This is mostly from our wiki Mask Primer
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for that detailed reply...

Here's my conundrum,  I have very large thick tounge... It used to stay locked into teeth area simply by closing my mouth and taping... In the past I had receding chin so not much room for tounge to move.   It just kind of stayed stuffed in my mouth...  

Recently,  I had MMA surgery which created room at the base of tounge...if feels great for airflow,  but now there is space for tounge to flop and fall back in throat... When this happens, there is room for cpap air to come through into my mouth and pop cheeks and spurt through mouth..yea I'm still using bi pap for a few hours a night due to nasal/sinus congestion..

Sorry for long post any further thoughts / comments appreciared
Post Reply Post Reply
Also,  I have very high arching roof of mouth so it's hard to do the tounge trick and once I fall asleep it just bobs back
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried side sleeping? Might lessen the effect of gravity on the tongue.

Sounds like that MMA surgery was a mixed blessing.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Too early to tell about the mma...
Post Reply Post Reply
For some people a soft cervical collar works to apply pressure at the back of the jaw that keeps things in place and improves the airway. Clearly you don't want to use a chin strap to cause your teeth to hold your tongue...ouch!

There are some oral devices called tongue retainers that will keep the tongue forward, like the AveaoTSD and Good Morning Snore Solution. I'm not sure I cold use anything like that, but they are out there. Hopefully this will go away as you adapt to the more advanced jaw line.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-16-2017, 06:00 PM)bonjour Wrote: A chin strap will not lock the tongue in a position.

I don't know what you have tried or not tried to manage your mouth breathing or mouth leak. 

Mouth Breathing is when you open your mouth and the air pressure from your PAP is venting out your mouth typically showing on your charts as a large leak which can substantially negate the effectiveness of your therapy. It is generally not good. The solution varies depending on the person
How to manage Mouth Breathing, not in any particular order.
Tongue Trick. Place the tongue on the roof of the mouth, Practice during the daytime. The idea is to train the tongue that this is a good place to be, not overnight, but it works for some.
Chin Strap. A chin strap is to manage mouth leaks from a variety of causes. Most result from the jaw dropping or opening either partially or wider. The chin strap is to gently keep the jaw closed. If you have to crank it shut to make it work this is not the correct solution. Note that your jaw is strong enough to open if it wants to.  A different type of chin strap is sold as "Ultimate Chin Strap"  search for it
Cervical collar. A Cervical Collar may also be used to keep the jaw from dropping.
Mouth Guard. The concept here is a closed mouth guard to keep the air from leaking out.
Taping. The purpose of taping is to seal the lips and prevent mouth leaks / mouth breathing. It is not to stop the mouth from opening. I make sure that I can easily open my mouth, when taped, if I need to.
FFM – Full Face Mask or Hybrid Mask. This is a very traditional solution and it is generally effective.
Dry mouth is a symptom mouth breathing that is uncomfortable. It can and does occur with some users of a Full Face Mask. Many users use a product called Biotene to get relief from this symptom.

This is mostly from our wiki Mask Primer

Thank goodness for this website. Tks alot man I have the exact same problem.  Thats exactly what happens to me. But with a full facemask .. I use the simplus m/L full face mask.  When I told the sleep center that gave me the auto cpap to take home for 3 days about my cheeks puffing out and filling with air when I returned it, they told  me that sounded weird.  When I told my Doctor she said maybe the mask wasn't on good enough lol.   I'm wondering if the mask is too small.  and they loaded me up with them c harged my insurance company for like half adozen before I even had acpap machine lol I own them now.

But its exactly as you say its my tongue, or when I relax my jaw it seems I do both.  after two months I got much better with tongue but maybe I should think about a jaw strap. But adjusting the  mask to make it tighter on the chin helped a bit but it still happens to me .  Thanks for the numerous tips.

Is it possible I leak air out the corners of my mouth sometimes when I relax cause mask is too small? I got a huge face lol. Problem is this is the largest mask the simplus makes.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,988 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 273 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  SPO2 still falling with CPAP freedom yayy 12 397 03-07-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: freedom yayy
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 525 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 935 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 402 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Help figuring out why symptoms are back Jess2117 1 295 02-21-2024, 06:39 PM
Last Post: MikeR20

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.