Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] RERA's ?
RERA's ?
Hi All,

Well I finally was able to swap out my Dreamstation CPAP for the Auto CPAP I got my machine last Friday. So Ive been tracking my data in Sleepyhead. My AHI was 9.5 when I was diagnosed. It is now at 1.3 .....however I still was having episodes of daytime sleepiness. So after a week 0of tracking my data in Sleepyhead I am also avg. 1.14 RERA's and .96 Hypopneas. This has leveled out as some nights I have over 10 occurrences of either Hypopneas or RERA's in a night or I have one high number in one of the categories....is this something I should keep closer track of of my RDI now? And what does this mean ? Do I possibly have another underlying condition? Need some input from you vets from a newbie .  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: RERA's ?
Hypopneas are included in the AHI but RERAs are not. Your RDI is AHI + RERAs. If your AHI is 1.3 and RERAs is 1.14 your RDI is 2.44 which, as I understand, is not bad.

I also sometimes have more RERAs than hyoponeas and or apneas and my RDI is around 2.5 on some nights. I don't worry about it. Others with more expertise will be able to provide guidance once they see more data.

Some say it takes up to three months to see significant benefits from therapy so it may be a little early to worry about episodes of daytime sleepiness.

You should post some SleepyHead graphs so we can see what's going on. See the instructions below.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Melman. You need to post some screenshots. Your profile shows you are still running a fixed pressure of 8cm. It may be a good idea to run your machine in auto mode using a pressure range so we can help you determine just what your needs are.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good advice from Melman and pupcamper.

Your profile suggests you are in cpap mode with a pressure of 8.  Ideally you should switch to Auto mode.

Use the tutorials in my signature line to organize and post a screenshot from #SleepyHead.
This way, we can better advise you on a more optimal setting to tackle those pesky hypopneas and rera's.

I always liked to call rera's "baby apneas."   These are disruptive to your sleep and may be the reason you are tired during the day.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will post screenshots when I get home from running errands hopefully this afternoon.. Now I'm having some sinus issues and was only able to use the machine last night for only 4 hours when I usually go the entire night. I don't think its set on Autopap mode. I hope its not an issue with my DME to go in and and change some settings. I read the instructions on how to do it. But last night was not working with a blocked nostril I needed more pressure and it kept on going down due to.the CFlex.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is not uncommon for congestion to add to upper airway flow limitation / resistance, which is one of the advantages of an auto CPAP. I will warn you that the DME will not make setting changes without a prescription, so most of us simply do what we know is best. You can easily go into the clinical settings by pushing the control knob and ramp button at the same time, then going to the therapy settings to change the mode from CPAP to Auto, minimum pressure to 7 maximum pressure to 10, then exit. I think you might be surprised to find that a few hours in the sleep clinic rarely optimizes your pressure like you can do on your own with a good auto machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
MzRobin28, I note in your equipment that you are using cpap mode rather than Apap mode. I'll bet if you bump up your pressure just a little bit the RERAs will all fall to the wayside. Just go up one tiny increment and see how it does after 4-5 days. Until the smoke from the western fires in September, I only had to bump it up to 8.6 from 8.0 to eliminate all RERAs. I had to bump up to 9 for about 2 months and it's back down now to 8.6. That's the nice thing with having Sleepyhead. You can experiment with your therapy to make it the best with the least amount of pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm in agreement with the others. And I just want to add congrats to you for getting an Auto! Optimizing your therapy will be so much easier.
Post Reply Post Reply

Here is some of my data from the past week the 3 qare just in CPAP mode

[Image: 59oEecO.png]

[Image: ct76GJx.png]

[Image: CE8nyjO.png]

This is from last night first time  on auto cpap with the suggested setting of 7 - 10 I slept better than the might above before I had the humidity too high at a 5 and had some tube respiration so I had to turn it down to a 3 and it was fine after than.  

[Image: DWT9vQ8.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
You need higher than 10 but now you are getting your pressure to drop below that at times. Can I suggest at this point a minimum of 8 and a maximum of 20 so you can see how high your machine needs to go. This should give you a realistic 95% pressure rating and we can work from there.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with spotting flow rate RERA's apnea505 3 175 03-14-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: apnea505
  Respiratory effort- related arousals (RERA's) MrIvanDrago 3 703 11-01-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  PLM pattern or RERA spikes? permabear 35 2,236 08-20-2023, 03:24 PM
Last Post: permabear
  [CPAP] What's the best CPAP for reducing RERA events Anthon 1 578 08-11-2023, 05:39 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Interrupted sleep: RERA and Flow limitation xaid 2 772 07-09-2023, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Melman
  Persistent OA, Hypoapneas and RERA events despite Pressure Increase chewielotuses 7 1,022 04-23-2023, 09:04 PM
Last Post: chewielotuses
  High mask pressure causing RERA? webweaver 2 1,068 12-15-2022, 11:46 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.