Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Elevated Red Blood Cell Count and Apnea
Elevated Red Blood Cell Count and Apnea
I had test for red blood cell count. The results came back as 4.82 with an exclamation mark next to it. The range listed is 3.80-4.80 so I am over that by two. My sleep apnea has got worse over the last few months and there is a known link to high red blood cell count to sleep apnea as your body fights to make up more oxygen in your blood due to the apea decreasing it. Where do I go from here? Its always worse if I have dairy before bed or sugar after 2 pm
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Elevated Red Blood Cell Count and Apnea
Katie, it sounds like you would benefit from treating apnea with CPAP or better with auto CPAP. Since you're in the U.K. we have members that live there and have been through the medical system that can help. The best approach is to discuss your mild polycythemia with your doctor and ask if he can prescribe an auto CPAP. An Auto CPAP would allow you to use a sophisticated CPAP machine that self-adjusts pressure and provide data on the efficacy. It is a lot less expensive than going through sleep tests, and we can suggest where to purchase a good machine. Note we have a Supplier list at the top of the forum, and as long as you have prescription, you could use Supplier #2 to obtain a good machine. Otherwise you're at the mercy of your public health care system, which will be slow, inefficient and will provide a less worthy machine (sorry).

I think with the symptoms you describe and the polycythemia your need is pretty easily demonstrated. Talk to your doctor about a prescription recommendaton or referral. Hopefully someone from U.K. will be along shortly with more specific advise.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Elevated Red Blood Cell Count and Apnea
Hi KatieClark,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your question and good luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 609 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  ResMed Air 10 can't count CaptainEven 6 279 03-02-2024, 07:31 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 229 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043
  Anxiety/elevated HR at beginning of night Jskier 1 212 02-11-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Elevated head of bed increases CA and AHI silverdr 1 677 09-05-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Normal AHI (2.4) but elevated RDI (7.3)? CPAP or not? sleepysleepsleep 2 746 08-21-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Health] Dizziness and high blood pressure Okbutton 2 518 06-13-2023, 08:58 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.