Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

low pressure
low pressure
Hi! I use a REMstar auto with a-flex. Two years ago, I received the manual from this site. My sleep study said I needed a 12 pressure. I found that running the machine at 14 on straight cpap worked best for me. After one year, the machine began to beep to signal a malfunction. My provider gave me another machine of the same type (which I believe was a rebuilt model). Suddenly, I subjectively feel the pressure to be low. My wind pipe still feels stented by the air, and I sleep well (before CPAP I needed to go to the bathroom every 4o minutes!). I have no idea if I am having apneas or not. Should I: a. leave well enough alone b. raise the pressure and see what happens or c. have the machine serviced.
Is it normal for this machine to go bad in a year? Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: low pressure
You can check the AHI on the machine screen and if the machine is Phillips Respironics System One Auto ...you can use SleepyHead software
Rather than guessing what the pressure ought to be...just run the machine on auto for while. Welcome to the forum
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! Can I assume the pressure on the screen is accurate for WHAT IS rather than for what it has been set for?
Post Reply Post Reply
You need a manometer to check the accuracy of the pressure
Your provider can check for you or you can build your own water manometer
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...=Manometer

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Jeff S, WELCOME! to the forum,! and keep checking back in for more suggestions. Best of luck on getting this problem straightened out.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are uncomfortable in believing the pressure reading on the machine, then drop by your DME with the machine and let then run a quick "manometer" test. That will give you the "exact" pressure that the machine is producing. You can easily make your own manometer at home with some tubing. Google "how to make a manometer".
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
If they gave you a machine they set it back to the original pressure. Check the pressure setting.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since you have an autoPAP, the pressure you feel when you are awake will feel less than what you get during therapy unless they for some silly reason have it set for 'straight' CPAP vs APAP mode. When you are awake, you are breathing just fine so you don't need much pressure.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,640 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 923 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 646 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,556 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23
  Is expiratory pressure relief similar to BiPAP on lower pressure settings? drmaestro 11 3,350 05-18-2020, 01:35 PM
  [Pressure] Difference between EPAP set pressure and operational pressure brugerard 8 2,350 01-02-2020, 10:03 PM
Last Post: brugerard
Question 90% Pressure meaning & Setting Correct Pressure for Auto-CPAP dk2011 2 3,647 12-28-2018, 05:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.