Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cannot get AHI down
RE: Cannot get AHI down
I see a lot of leaks, it looks to me like you may have a lot of leaks causing you to constantly be aroused, and the arousals then look like clean airway events as you move between sleep states. Fix the leaks as a first step.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks a lot.
Post Reply Post Reply
Roy, generally people with abundant CA events do best with EPR off and reducing fixed pressure until OA begins to appear in the results. For you, that may end up being as low as 8-cm You will need to experiment to find that spot where AHI is minimized through no EPR and lower pressure. If acceptable results cannot be achieved on CPAP, then the next step is Bilevel ASV. I think we can get your event rate fairly low. Take pressure to 10 with EPR off and see if CA rate is reduced.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thumbsdown 
I also have a lot of CA events and had to turn off the EPR. That seemed to fix my problem with CA events.
Post Reply Post Reply
The past 3 nights I have tried sleeping with EPR off and I can report that my CA events were quite reduced as well. I find I don't need EPR as much if my minimum pressure is around 8 as opposed to say 10. Turns out setting my minimum to 8 helped reduce my overall AHI score.

But everyone is different and there is no shame whatsoever in using EPR if that is what makes it more comfortable to ensure one uses the machine. During my first month I found the EPR really helped me get comfortable with the treatment and ease my breathing.

Roy, I think you should follow Sleeprider's advice though and not use EPR. He really knows what he is talking about and I would trust his advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
As Marillion said, everyone is different. For me EPR is not just a comfort feature. My statistics page shows that when I reduce EPR to 2, my AHI goes up. After a manometer pressure test, the tech forgot to restore the EPR, and my AHI jumped to more that 8 until I noticed the change.

It's not a matter of shame - it's what works for me. Maybe I should have a bi-level, but I don't.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2017, 03:25 PM)pholynyk Wrote: As Marillion said, everyone is different. For me EPR is not just a comfort feature. My statistics page shows that when I reduce EPR to 2, my AHI goes up. After a manometer pressure test, the tech forgot to restore the EPR, and my AHI jumped to more that 8 until I noticed the change.

It's not a matter of shame - it's what works for me. Maybe I should have a bi-level, but I don't.

I never realized that for some, EPR can actually improve their AHI results.  I thought it was more of a feature to increase comfort on exhalation.  Thanks for that insight pholynyk.  This is good to know.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.