Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Learning to Live with CPAP
By Brandon Peters, M.D., About.com Guide
Updated August 28, 2009

(this may or may not already been posted but it was interesting)

What if I have claustrophobia?

Share your concerns. Ask for a mask that does not encase your nose, but goes only into your nostrils.
At first, try to practice during the day for a few minutes at a time while doing something relaxing,
such as watching television. Gradually increase the time you use it until you are completely comfortable.
It may take time to adapt, so don’t give up.

What if I can’t breathe with my nose?

It is common to have complaints of nasal dryness, congestion, or even nosebleeds while using CPAP.
Try using a heated humidifier and saline spray to moisten your nasal passages. Use a mask that covers
both your nose and your mouth to allow yourself the chance to breathe through your mouth. If you have
allergies, it will be important to treat them with prescription nasal steroids.

When should I use CPAP?

Every time you go to sleep, even naps. If you find that you have taken it off during the night,
replace it when you awaken. You’ll benefit most by always using it.

Can I travel with my machine?

Absolutely. If you carry it on an airplane, you will need to remove it from your luggage for a separate
examination to pass through security. It is even possible to obtain an adapter from your supply company
to run the CPAP on a battery while camping.

What can I use to clean my equipment?

Dish soap and water is best for cleaning of your equipment. Wash the mask and humidifier daily,
and the other equipment (including the hosing and humidifier) weekly. If you have recently been sick,
wash out the mask, tubing, and humidifier.

What can I put in my humidifier?

Put only distilled water in your humidifier. No perfumes, alcohol, or cleaning fluids should ever be
placed in it, as these could damage your lungs.

How often can I replace my equipment?

For most insurance, including Medicare, you can replace your mask every three months, your headgear and
chinstrap every six months, and your tubing monthly. This will depend on your coverage and it is best to
consult with your medical equipment provider or your physician.

What if I have a dry mouth or mouth breathe while using it?

Often, a heated humidifier will help, and a chinstrap or a full face mask might prevent you from mouth
breathing.

What if I have pressure sores or marks on my face?

Although some small marks are to be expected, this might be a sign of a mask that is not fitting properly
and that it may be time to try a new one. It is also useful to alternate nights between different mask
styles, so that the pressure points vary. Some individuals find facial creams or petroleum jelly helpful
in preventing irritation.

Why do I feel like I can’t breathe out?

Some users describe a sensation of getting too much air. This is most common when starting use of CPAP,
and may go away as you become used to it. If it does not improve, it may be resolved by getting a pressure
ramp. This allows a low pressure while you are awake and falling asleep, which gradually increases to the
therapeutic pressure needed. This ramp can be reset whenever you awaken with the push of a button. Other
exhale pressure relief options (including bilevel or cflex) might be prescribed. This sensation might also
be a sign that your pressure is too high and it may be time to get a new titration study to reset it.

What if I am not getting enough air, snoring, or have a return of my symptoms?

It may be necessary to bring your equipment in to have it checked. Your physician may decide to
increase your pressure or provide you with a chinstrap. In addition, this might be an indication that
it is time to get a new titration study to readdress your pressure support needs.

How can I stop my mask from filling with water?

Condensation within the mask is a common occurrence. By placing the CPAP machine lower than your head,
the condensation will collect in it. It might also help to run your tubing under some blankets. Sometimes
it is as simple as turning down your heated humidifier temperature.

What if I am swallowing air?

This might cause a feeling of bloating in your stomach. It may be necessary to get a pressure ramp setting,
have the pressure decreased, or consider getting a new titration study.

How can I stop myself from pulling my mask off at night?

It will be important to find a mask that is comfortable and is fitting properly. If you are aware of what
causes you to pull it off, such as a leak, this issue should be addressed. In addition, a leak alert can
be set to let you know that your mask has come off so you can put it back on.

What if I have dry eyes?

Start by tightening your mask a little, as this might represent air leaking onto your face. Take your
equipment in to have it checked and find a better-fitting mask if this is found to be the problem.

If you are having problems, visit with your healthcare providers.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,654 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  How to get a prescription - live in rural area Madison320 22 2,422 11-11-2022, 10:54 AM
Last Post: Madison320
  New CPAP user: are mask leaks/adjustments just something you have to live with? theredheadsaid 3 720 08-01-2022, 12:51 PM
Last Post: lindylou
  Deep learning for next-​generation sleep diagnostics unidee 0 615 01-26-2022, 01:27 PM
Last Post: unidee
  Learning to use OSCAR. Would appreciate suggestions Fiorm 4 683 09-16-2021, 04:05 AM
Last Post: Ratchick
  New to CPAP, new to Oscar, starting the learning process redi 0 567 08-18-2021, 10:07 AM
Last Post: redi
  NOTICE: OSCAR v1.1.1 is live Gideon 13 2,103 06-20-2020, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.