Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Addressing Mask Leaks
RE: Addressing Mask Leaks
Hi,

A newbie here. I tried and failed miserably with a full face mask, but had great luck with a nasal pillow.

I am a mouth breather, so I thought I needed a full face mask, but had massive problems with leakage. Then I read that breathing through your nose is healthier, so I decided to try out a nasal pillow. I got the P10 (can get it for <$70) and it's worked wonders. To keep my mouth shut, I use a chin strap (carefusion) + skin tape. Now, I never have problems with leaks.

I'm hoping I can train myself to keep my mouth/lips closed without a chin strap+tape, but for now they work pretty well.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not a Philips guru by any stretch but Sleepyhead says that your EPAP/IPAP is set for 15/21 however the data shows that the IPAP is 21 all night long and the EPAP varies a little around 17.5 for the night. If it is truly fixed bilevel, that is fine.

Does the Philips machine you have, have a mask fit setting. My Resmed does and it makes adjusting way easier. With my Resmed you just activate the mask fit feature and the machine goes up to the highest set pressure and stays there for about three minutes and then goes to your normal settings. If yours does not have something like that, I would recommend changing your mode to CPAP with flex off and the pressure set for 21.0. You can use that CPAP mode to do mask fitting then turn the mode back to fixed bilevel for your sleep. The different modes should maintain their own parameters so the next time that you want to do mask fitting all you have to do is switch to CPAP mode.

I do not have a problem with this but some people with very oily skin find it necessary to clean their cushions with a mild soap and water every day and wash at least the areas of their face where the cushions will contact every night just before going to bed. Personally, I have the opposite problem. My skin is too dry. I have found with my Mirage Quattro that using Pampers baby wipes instead of soap and water to clean the cushions helps to make the cushions last longer and maintain their flexibility. For all I know anyone's baby wipes might do the same. The Pampers baby wipes also leave the surface to be slightly tacky which is thought to help maintain a good seal

With the Simplus or F20, once you get the straps adjusted properly, you should not need to readjust them every night. after some weeks or maybe months the headgear will stretch enough that you will need to readjust the straps. With a brand new headgear, it will stretch initially and you may need to readjust on a daily basis for a little while. I did not notice much of this with the F20 though.

You are doing well and it is good that you are able to sleep through the night. Maintain the positive outlook and we will get this fixed.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2017, 12:03 PM)PaytonA Wrote: I am not a Philips guru by any stretch but Sleepyhead says that your EPAP/IPAP is set for 15/21 however the data shows that the IPAP is 21 all night long and the EPAP varies a little around 17.5 for the night. If it is truly fixed bilevel, that is fine.

Does the Philips machine you have, have a mask fit setting. My Resmed does and it makes adjusting way easier. With my Resmed you just activate the mask fit feature and the machine goes up to the highest set pressure and stays there for about three minutes and then goes to your normal settings. If yours does not have something like that, I would recommend changing your mode to CPAP with flex off and the pressure set for 21.0. You can use that CPAP mode to do mask fitting then turn the mode back to fixed bilevel for your sleep. The different modes should maintain their own parameters so the next time that you want to do mask fitting all you have to do is switch to CPAP mode.

> Yes, I believe the Dreamstation has a "check mask fit" option; I've used it in the past a handful of times with the Simplus and Quattro FX and I will give a go tonight with the F20.

I do not have a problem with this but some people with very oily skin find it necessary to clean their cushions with a mild soap and water every day and wash at least the areas of their face where the cushions will contact every night just before going to bed. Personally, I have the opposite problem. My skin is too dry. I have found with my Mirage Quattro that using Pampers baby wipes instead of soap and water to clean the cushions helps to make the cushions last longer and maintain their flexibility. For all I know anyone's baby wipes might do the same. The Pampers baby wipes also leave the surface to be slightly tacky which is thought to help maintain a good seal

> Yes, I tend to have oily skin around the nose and forehead area so I wash my face twice each night and the cushions are washed daily.

With the Simplus or F20, once you get the straps adjusted properly, you should not need to readjust them every night. after some weeks or maybe months the headgear will stretch enough that you will need to readjust the straps. With a brand new headgear, it will stretch initially and you may need to readjust on a daily basis for a little while. I did not notice much of this with the F20 though.

> Thank you for the tips on both the Simplus and F20! Last night I followed your suggestions for the F20 and Sleepyhead results seem to show improvement on the leaks. Did not wake up with air blowing into my eyes but I felt a little air leaking where the bottom of the mask rests below my mouth. Looking forward to wearing the F20 tonight.

Last night's results: http://imgur.com/IfheIuF

Thank you once again, PaytonA, for your responses!

wullybully76
Post Reply Post Reply
I thought you said you showed improvement!!! Wow. That looks great to me!!! Keep up the good work. Now lets see if we are ready to put this show on stage.

Best

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 285 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 140 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 161 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 108 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 502 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.