Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dreamstation and Resmed masks (+12v plug)
Dreamstation and Resmed masks (+12v plug)
Hello!

Recently, I had been prescribed a Dreamstation and I cannot find any info on resistance settings for :

Resmed Mirage Quattro, Quattro Fx M, Airfit F10M+F20 L. Yes, I have all these and I don't feel comfortable at all (even with other machines)...

BTW, I would like to build a 12v plug myself, has anyone info whether there are hidden components or is it a simple + and - straight cable?

Thank you in advance and best regards.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamstation and Resmed masks (+12v plug)
(05-02-2017, 09:30 AM)tango Wrote: Hello!

Recently, I had been prescribed a Dreamstation and I cannot find any info on resistance settings for :

Resmed Mirage Quattro, Quattro Fx M, Airfit F10M+F20 L. Yes, I have all these and I don't feel comfortable at all (even with other machines)...

BTW, I would like to build a 12v plug myself, has anyone info whether there are hidden components or is it a simple + and - straight cable?

what do you mean by resistance settings ?

my machine lets me tell it the mask type basically small large or none=nostrils

that does a crude adjustment to get the correct pressure
then the pressure settings may need to be tweaked for optimal performance

imho as a professional engineer you should not even think of making your own power related components to use with it
Post Reply Post Reply

Phillips respironics machines only list resistance settings for their own masks.
It using another brand mask, the resistance setting should be set to 0.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Another member with P-R mask experience will hopefully come along with a quick answer. In the meantime, I would suggest obtaining the literature for a comparable FFM mask from P-R. It should have the resistance setting listed.

(05-02-2017, 09:30 AM)tango Wrote: BTW, I would like to build a 12v plug myself, has anyone info whether there are hidden components or is it a simple + and - straight cable

As far as the plug; Try searching the forum for "battery backup" (include the quotes).  There was a major disscussion awhile back regarding this. . . If my memory serves me correct.

Good luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2017, 09:30 AM)tango Wrote: BTW, I would like to build a 12v plug myself, has anyone info whether there are hidden components or is it a simple + and - straight cable?

Officially, there are two cables. One allows you to connect your CPAP to the cigarette lighter socket on your car, boat, or RV. The second cable has a female cigarette lighter socket on one end and a pair of alligator clips on the other. You plug the first cable into the second, and then connect the alligator clips directly to a battery. The first cable has a huge pair of choke coils to prevent surges, and the second has an inline fuse to prevent large current damage.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2017, 10:55 AM)xxyzx Wrote: what do you mean by resistance settings ?

Philips Respironics System One (PRS1) machines have a System One Resistance setting. The successor to the PRS1 is the DreamStation and it apparently has the same type of resistance settings, although I don't know what they call it. When you increase the resistance setting it changes the pressure a little bit (either up or down, I'm not sure which). The idea is that a mask with a lot of resistance to flow, such as nasal pillows masks, will deliver a different pressure than a mask with less resistance, such as a full face mask. The resistance setting changes the pressure slightly to compensate.

The difference is small and is not worth fussing over. First of all, if you have an auto-adjusting CPAP machine it will adjust away and resistance settings. Secondly, if you adjust the settings yourself than any changes you make in the pressure settings will dwarf any changes due to resistance settings.

If you have a non-Respironics mask you can either set the resistance to zero or to the setting for a Respironics mask of a similar style.

Quote:my machine lets me tell it the mask type basically small large or none=nostrils

That's ResMed's way of handling the very same issue.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi tango,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The resistance setting for full face masks is X1 for Philips Respironics System One machines. This includes the DreamStation.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,787 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  DreamStation 2 vs ResMed S9 gonzalo 3 69 03-25-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 344 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 218 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 408 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 495 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 492 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.