Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to forum, not to apnea, but still need help with some basics, is there a primer?
New to forum, not to apnea, but still need help with some basics, is there a primer?
As the subject says, I have had Apnea a long time. Before being diagnosed I would wake up to my wife hitting me in the chest. She claims it was to start me breathing again. (or was it something I said? did or didn't do that day.... Yeahhh....) Married 33 years.

My 1st sleep study was about 15 years ago, and now on my 3rd machine, the first with software readable data collection. I have the Respironics RemStar Pro w/C-Flex+ (450P),(dont't know if that's good thing or not) and Humidifier which I don't use. I'm using Sleepyhead to look at the data.

I sent my SDcard to the provider to read and send report to the doctor at which time I will see him. In the mean time I installed another SD card to continue to collect data.

That brings me to my first set of questions.
What are the basics? I can find the definitions of AHI, RERA, CAI, etc.
But whats really important? what do you need to keep an eye on? What are the ok numbers and when are they trending to the dark side?

I like the source forge glossary, but as examples, what's a Good OAI number/range and a Bad Pressure or leak report? Are they the ones I should care about and watch.

To date I have just been a good boy, I was told I have SleepApnea, the machine and mask will fix me up, and I have blindly used every day since.
but now that some information is available, I would like to understand it to make sure I'm getting the most out of the therapy. Is there a primer? or a Post that reviews the values?

My other big question for my first post is, I live in S.Florida its relatively humid all the time, After the first few weeks ages ago, I stopped using the humidifier.
What are the Pro's and Con's to the humidifier?

Thanks In advance
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to forum, not to apnea, but still need help with some basics, is there a primer?
(09-05-2012, 05:11 PM)tomster Wrote: But whats really important?
Welcome
Sleep quality. Getting a decent sleep ..night after night
Humidifier ...Not everyone use it but the added moisture can help with dryness and congestion

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to forum, not to apnea, but still need help with some basics, is there a primer?
All good questions for an apnea newb like myself as well. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi tomster, First of all, WELCOME! to the forum. As far as the humidifier goes, what zonk said. If you search around on this board, you will find the apneaboard wiki and that will have the deffinitions and acronyms, such as RERA,) that you are looking for. Oh and, CONGRATS on 33 years of marriage.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi tomster:Welcome to the forum

Like Zonk said,geting up the next morning feeling rested,how often do you wake up,
the leaks I think depends on the mask ,my Nasal mask is 24L/M you talked about the AHI well thats one of the things I look at
that and the leaks head the list for me,I dont use the Humidifier but some do,when you say trending to the dark side what do you mean ,are you geting less sleep or what?
Sleep-well[/i]
Post Reply Post Reply
You want an AHI of less than 5. Some feel you need to get as close to zero as possible but be glad when it is less than 5. You've been using one for so long, you're allowed to tweak if necessary.

The second thing you want is how you feel in the morning. Feel rested? Don't nod off unless really bored with the wife's lecture (which is a risk all to its own)? Then you're doing good.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
First of all, welcome to the Forum!!!! We are glad you joined us!!! Welcome

Now to your question about the basics. Many of your questions about the meaning of all those acronyms can be found here Apnea Acronyms
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-05-2012, 05:11 PM)tomster Wrote: I have the Respironics RemStar Pro w/C-Flex+ (450P),(dont't know if that's good thing or not) and Humidifier which I don't use. I'm using Sleepyhead to look at the data.

That's a good machine. Good software, too.

Quote:What are the basics?

AHI and Leak Rate. You can see your AHI and percent time in large leak by looking at your machine's on-screen display.

Using the software you can look at the actual leak rate graph. You can also look at the AHI and its three components.

These are the basics.

Poke around and let us know what you find.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-05-2012, 07:40 PM)cbramsey Wrote: meaning of all those acronyms can be found here

Thanks, I found the acronyms, What I'm interested in is in the range of values for the data collected by the device and reported in the software, sort of like a traffic light. when the values are a-f your green, good to go, G-R, Light is yellow be cautious, check these things and range S-Z , Call your Doctor!!! or your machine needs service. that kind of thing

random example whats a good NRAH Index value?
Again thanks for the reply.
Good Question, I have been using the machine for a long time, and still can not honestly recall a single day I woke "refreshed", Well rested.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-05-2012, 08:23 PM)tomster Wrote: Thanks, I found the acronyms, What I'm interested in is in the range of values for the data collected by the device and reported in the software, sort of like a traffic light.

Keep your AHI below 5.

Keep your unintentional leak rate below 30 L/min.

Don't worry about anything else until you get these two items under control.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 269 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 188 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to the Forum Dial222 8 676 12-21-2023, 08:19 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Importing Oximetry Data and A Big Thanks To The Forum S. Manz 22 2,583 09-12-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: GordK
  [Admin Note] Forum Rules addition - Artificial Intelligence (AI) SuperSleeper 5 1,740 06-13-2023, 04:28 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Help to validate my understanding of the basics of CPAP Albatros 6 516 04-22-2023, 06:29 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.