Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central sleep apnea?
RE: Central sleep apnea?
Orel Welcome
Sorry I have missed this thread, I've been a bit preoccupied. Sounds like you are having a bit of a rough ride at the moment. All of us understand what you are going through. Everyone who got a great night's sleep during the testing and titration, raise your hands! Mmmmm nobody raised their hands. Look that is the absolute worst thing to be already sleep deprived and then not be able to sleep at all because they want to hook you up to a bunch of wiores and tubes and such. It sucks. No two ways about it. You are right. But, look around. We all went through the same thing and we came out the other side and are here telling you it gets better. This is not the end of your life as you know it. You don't start a new life. This is nothing but another form of treatment like a pill for high blood pressure. Difference being that there are no side effects like high BP pills can cause! In fact, the only side effect I have found is that I feel much better and am like my old self again most of the time. You need the right machine and mask for you. Granted, but the most important thing of all is to realize that this is going to improve your life so much and it is going to take work on your part at first, but in the end, you are going to be sitting here some day telling other people that it is not as bad as it seems and it will get better! I do not feel dependent on my machine and more than I feel dependent on my pillow. I would be miserable and sleep like crud without it! In all honesty though, my mask is so comfortable and light I really don't even think about wearing it. Really. It will be okay. My life has done nothing but improve since I started using my machine again. I went off it for many years because in the old days they were great hulking, wheezing boat anchors with masks straight from Dante's inferno. But not using my machine only put me back in the same place I was in before I got it in the first place. I started using my mask again, found this site, found out how great masks and machines are today, got a new set of equipment and I am stylin! Life is good again. It's a tough road at times, but I am never going off my machine again! I hope you find success and peace.
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing you can discuss with the doctor is you being loaned an auto-PAP for a week or more. The auto-PAP adjusts the pressure, using a preset minimum and maximum, according to your need. So, when you are not having an event, it goes by what it needs to push to keep the airway open. Then, when you have an event, it goes higher until the throat opens again.

The data collected from one of these would be invaluable to you and the doctor. The machine keeps track of how many events you have, what pressure it needed to end the event, and what pressures it used the most. Some can also note snoring, hypopneas, and "clear airway events" which may or may not be central events.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2012, 07:24 AM)orel Wrote: Going to sleep was one of the things I enjoyed most before all this sh*t happened. I'd lay in bed, comfortably on my stomach and dream and imagine and let sleep take me away. Now all I have to look forward to is spending the rest of my life being dependent on a machine that keeps me in absolute misery.

No, you will be dependent on a machine that will get you back to where you were before. Sleeping in comfort.

The first two months of CPAP therapy were torture for me. Now, after only ten months, I enjoy sleeping with the machine. Gone is that miserable sleep-deprived life that I tolerated for decades because I didn't know what was wrong with me. I had chronic tension headaches, high blood pressure, and suffered from anxiety. Now life is good again.

Based on the other comments you made I think you will be prescribed a BiPAP. Possibly an auto BiPAP that can adjust itself to the correct pressure. Possibly a BiPAP machine with auto SV that will treat your central apneas.

You have a lot of good things to look forward to. You live in an era where this type of therapy is possible. If you didn't all you'd have to look forward to is a miserable sleep-deprived life that would end early due to a heart attack or stroke.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, me too i have complex apnea with major CSA index, the CPAP will work on the OSA but won't help to ease the central component. Please drink chamomille before sleep. This natural ingredient is magical, I have noticed by my own experience that it lowered the RDI index drasticly. I want to help people the way I HELPED MYSELF. I tried Xanax and it didn't give the effect of this natural herb. My doctor asked me to take sleeping pills but I did not take any!!! Drinking hot chamomille before sleep is an amzing remedy. Kindly try and revert back. you can monitor on sleepyhead the effect.
Post Reply Post Reply
SLEEPSTER

Quote:Based on the other comments you made I think you will be prescribed a BiPAP. Possibly an auto BiPAP that can adjust itself to the correct pressure. Possibly a BiPAP machine with auto SV that will treat your central apneas.

Might i ask what it is about what he told you that suggests he will be given a BiPap ,machine that is auto-set? I am curious to know why he would get one and I didn't ;-(

I fear the OP has gone AWOL---not sure why this thread was brought back up but its a good year and a half since it was originally posted
i wonder if he ever got used to it

I had to wonder if the OP was a single man.
I could see how a single man, still in the dating game might feel as he did, afraid to be attached to such a machine if entertaining young females, and a fear that they might see him as "old" using such a machine.
But its easier naturally when you have a partner that accepts you as is........
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2014, 07:34 PM)ShelaghDB Wrote: SLEEPSTER

Quote:Based on the other comments you made I think you will be prescribed a BiPAP. Possibly an auto BiPAP that can adjust itself to the correct pressure. Possibly a BiPAP machine with auto SV that will treat your central apneas.

Might i ask what it is about what he told you that suggests he will be given a BiPap ,machine that is auto-set? I am curious to know why he would get one and I didn't ;-(

I fear the OP has gone AWOL---not sure why this thread was brought back up but its a good year and a half since it was originally posted

I could see how a single man, still in the dating game might feel as he did, afraid to be attached to such a machine if entertaining young females, and a fear that they might see him as "old" using such a machine.

If you aren't having trouble with your S9, chances are you don't need a VPAP and that is probably why you didn't get one. With your machine, it will be hard to show whether you are having problems and what they are caused by unless you have symptoms that you tell your doc. Your machine will not help document any issues you have (if you are having any)
Post Reply Post Reply
Bi-level machines, (BIPAP) are used when people have trouble breathing against pressures. Adapt Servo Ventelators, (ASV) machines are used for central sleep apnea. Since I just have OSA, (Obstructive Sleep Apnea,) I use the Resmed S9AutoSet.
I hope I have explained this correctly, hang in there for better explanations.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2014, 07:34 PM)ShelaghDB Wrote: SLEEPSTER

I read his posts and he said he was 20 years old and then later he mentioned having low testosterone. I didn't say where he mentioned his marital status or relationship status but I kind of got the impression he was not married or in a committed relationship. Can't swear to that. I think he is fortunate that his SA was caught early. He may not feel that way.
Post Reply Post Reply
Diatribe deleted... I missed the fact that the OP is from ancient history.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2014, 07:34 PM)ShelaghDB Wrote: Might i ask what it is about what he told you that suggests he will be given a BiPap ,machine that is auto-set? I am curious to know why he would get one and I didn't ;-(

Two things. One, he said they used a BiPAP during his sleep study. Usually that means that the patient had trouble exhaling against the pressure, and was switched to a BiPAP that automatically lowers the pressure when you exhale.

Insurance companies usually will not pay for a BiPAP when the patient was able to tolerate a CPAP during the sleep study, but they will when he doesn't.

Secondly, he said that he had a lot of central apneas. That means he may need an even higher level machine.

Your pressure is 13, same as mine was coming out of the sleep study. If you were able to tolerate straight CPAP pressure of 13 they conclude that you don't need anything fancier. An auto adjusting machine will deliver a lower pressure, and raise it only when it detects, from your breathing patterns, that a higher pressure is needed.

Unfortunately, you were set up with the S9 Escape. See if you can exchange it for a better model. You need something that will record your data so you can see if your treatment is effective. If they won't do it, and you can afford it, I suggest you buy a better machine from one of the suppliers listed in the Supplier List. They often have good deals on used or discontinued models. Then you can keep your S9 Escape as a back up unit for when you travel or if your primary machine breaks down.

That reminds me, I need to buy a machine so I'll have a back up. If my machine broke I think I'd freak out and spiral into a fit of anxiety. Oh-jeez
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,663 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,551 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 224 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 192 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 108 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,040 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help with RERAs in sleep apnea shedu1337 8 284 04-03-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: shedu1337

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.