Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

High "Clear Airway" events
RE: High "Clear Airway" events
(09-18-2012, 07:33 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(09-17-2012, 12:53 PM)archangle Wrote:
(09-14-2012, 05:30 PM)Sleepster Wrote: BiPAP's induce CA apneas, so it's not surprising that EPR does too. It's probably an effect that subsides with time.

That seems to be highly variable. Bilevel seems to help some people with CA, but it may harm or be ineffective for others. Bilevel is one of the first things they tend to try for people with CA.

The study results were posted here recently and are consistent with my experience. Patients with simple OSA wer put on BiPAP's and they induced CA's. In my case it drove my AHI up above 15 for about 10 consectutive days. My doctor's remedy was to lower the pressure. My AHI now averages between 1.1 and 1.4.

Quote:Respironics has "CFlex, AFlex, CFlex+, and BiFlex". There are differences in the shape of the pressure waveforms between Flex versions.

Yup, I realize that now. My BiPAP has has Bi-Flex and according to the manual it does alter the shape of the presssure curve. It's the only Flex option available in BiPAP mode. I don't know if putting the machine in CPAP mode would make a C-Flex option available. I'll have to do some tinkering. Since it's a BiPAP I could lower the Flex and raise the EPAP. See if that makes a difference.

Hi Sleepster, interesting, you said that people with standard OSA were automatically given a BiPAP rather than an APAP? Can you tell me why? I thought BiPAP's were only usually given with people who probably had centrals? Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: High "Clear Airway" events
(09-21-2012, 01:21 PM)zzzzk Wrote: Hi Sleepster, interesting, you said that people with standard OSA were automatically given a BiPAP rather than an APAP? Can you tell me why?
I thought BiPAP's were only usually given with people who probably had centrals? Thank you.

I don't recall saying that. People with simple OSA are given a CPAP, a BiPAP, or a APAP. When people are put on a CPAP during their sleep study and have trouble exhaling against the pressure, they will often be given a BiPAP. I spent the first couple of weeks on CPAP and then was switched to BiPAP because I had aerophagia.

More sophisticated BiPAP's are prescribed for patients who have central or mixed apnea.

The other thing I said was that when patients with OSA are put on a BiPAP it sometimes induces central apnea events. The same thing is true of CPAP machines, but there are some people, myself included, for whom a CPAP does not induce CSA, but a BiPAP does.

I'm using the tem BiPAP to refer to bilevel machines. Respironics calls their bilevel machines BiPAP's. Respironics calls theirs VPAP's.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 13 405 3 hours ago
Last Post: stevew168
  Still tired and CA events liebano 1 41 6 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,406 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 710 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 273 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 109 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.