Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Auto pressure setting
Auto pressure setting
I have a Respironics Auto Flex-A System One CPAP machine. It has a sd card on the back. Model 560P. I have read in other threads about the auto setting. My question is that I have heard that your breathing is different when lying on your back vs on your stomach etc. If I set my machine to auto via provider mode, the machine will adjust pressures while I sleep on my stomach, or adjust pressures while I sleep on my back? Is that preferred over having one pressure setting such as 9.0? If it helps me sleep better than I am all fore that!
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Auto pressure setting
(09-12-2012, 03:37 PM)Nascardave Wrote: Is that preferred over having one pressure setting such as 9.0? If it helps me sleep better than I am all fore that!
Thanks
What are you trying to fix?
There is no definite answer. Auto adjust the pressure to your needs but if you,re fine with the present settings, leaks under control, AHI below 5 and sleep quality decent ...why change anything

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-12-2012, 03:37 PM)Nascardave Wrote: I have a Respironics Auto Flex-A System One CPAP machine. It has a sd card on the back. Model 560P. I have read in other threads about the auto setting. My question is that I have heard that your breathing is different when lying on your back vs on your stomach etc. If I set my machine to auto via provider mode, the machine will adjust pressures while I sleep on my stomach, or adjust pressures while I sleep on my back? Is that preferred over having one pressure setting such as 9.0? If it helps me sleep better than I am all fore that!

First, there are a number of possible causes of sleep apnea, but the most common is the throat falling back against the pharynx cutting off the supply of air. Due to gravity this is worse when you are on your back, less of a problem when you are on your side, and even less of a problem when you are on your stomach.

If you sleep in different positions you probably need different pressure settings for each position. But the phase of sleep you are in as well as lots of other factors affect the pressure you need at any given time during the night. The Auto mode is designed for just that situation. However, some people do better on a single pressure, and there is no way to tell until you try it for yourself. Also, when you set it to Auto mode you will need to set the machine to a range. Finding the right range for yourself can take months of tweaking.

And the bottom line - will you sleep better - is also difficult to predict. All I can suggest is that you give it a try and see how it goes. Be sure to report back here, because there is a lot of combined experience on this board and people are always willing to share.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I understand you correctly, I think you don't understand how Auto PAPs work.

The best thing about autoPAPs is they adjust the pressure depending on need. It could are less what position you are in, all it knows is when you are having an event. It adjusts to the event, not the position.

As to if it is better or not than 'straight' CPAP, it depends.

Look at your data. If you are still having more events than you'd like, you could go the slower route and adjust, observe (~2weeks), and adjust as necessary. Or you could turn on the auto setting on your machine. If your current pressure is 8, then initially set it for, say, 6 and 10. Wait two weeks or so and look at the data. Do you hit that 10 too often? If so, raise the top number to 11 or 12. Do you never go over 9? Then leave it at 10.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 149 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,176 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 855 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 403 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Air Sense 11 - Pressure Setting goblue2024 3 424 01-10-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 583 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  [CPAP] Need help with setting minimum pressure for my Father. Jamie Connor 2 382 01-07-2024, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Jamie Connor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.