Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Australian Health Insurers - CPAP benefits?
Australian Health Insurers - CPAP benefits?
I have just been down to Medibank Private to lodge the claim for my Respironics machine.

After first being told that I could not claim - then being told that I needed to give them the Sleep Study result because a copy of the Script and the Physicians letter of necessity wasn't enough - then my insisting that they were wrong - then them discovering that the policy 'must have been changed with out them being told' - I eventually got the pretty pitiful $500 rebate that I expected...

What I was even more surprised to learn however was that MBP do not allow claims for masks in their schedule. I was told that they do not allow claims for machine replacement tanks, hoses, or masks because they are consumable 'running costs'. WTF???

The 'manager' at the Toowoomba MBP office smugly told me that their offering was better than BUPA's - which is probably not saying a lot.

I have been with MBP for 34 years and this is the first significant claim in the last 25 years... I am not impressed with the service or responsiveness for the nearly $5000 a year they collect from me.

My question of the Australian members of this forum is - does anyone have any better suggestions for a private health fund?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Australian Health Insurers - CPAP benefits?
Its the same with Bupa. It $500 for the machine (if not mistaken every 2 years) and nothing else
I was looking to buy a second machine using the rebate but the catch have to buy the machine in Australia and pay rip-off prices .
Its cheaper to buy the machine out of pocket from the supplier list especially #2

Essential Medical Equipment Payment (including PAP)
http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer...nt-payment
http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer...nt-payment
Post Reply Post Reply
Only just read this so it is a bit late. I am with NIB and they give 75% of cost up to $$1000. At first they didn't want to pay out because I bought in USA but after hassling, agreed to do the right thing!

Gillian
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-21-2012, 05:23 AM)Gillian Wrote: Only just read this so it is a bit late. I am with NIB and they give 75% of cost up to $$1000. At first they didn't want to pay out because I bought in USA but after hassling, agreed to do the right thing!

Gillian
welcome to the board. glad to hear you did manage to get the rebate
did you use one of the suppliers from the "Supplier List" ... you could just say the number ... for example supplier 10 ... Thanks
Suppliers List: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

as you,re using ResScan ... the interpretation guide would helps
http://www.apneaboard.com/ResScan_Interp...-Guide.pdf

Post Reply Post Reply
US accounts to 50% of CPAP sales globally but I believe it has to do with more than just market size
Think about, everything is more expensive in Australia including books, CD, cars, electrical appliances, .... even soft drinks

[Image: goldingapple-200x0.jpg]
Why do Australians pay so much more for tech products than Americans - sometimes over 80 per cent more?
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technol...z2qhnppXC1

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm with MBP because we get a good deal through work. However they only paid $500 for my S9 VPAP Adapt - a $4,000 machine. Not happy John!

I was going to buy the machine on-line, but the VPAP Adapt seems to be a similar price in the US, and I was able to get mask, climate line hose and humidifier all included, plus a five year warranty and unlimited consultations with the Cardio Respiratory Sleep clinic.

We have discussed in another thread trying to get some action going to encourage the funds to offer a better rebate for this essential equipment. For heavens sake they give all sorts of payments for things like gym membership and highly questionable "alternative" therapies - you think they would realise that treating apnea will reduce their costs in future.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have "Extra cover" which cover dentist and glasses plus other services not covered by Medicare
I don,t mind pay own way and take "hospital cover" and save the government money but they want to penalize me of not taking health insurance early in life. Last year I had surgery on my nose which did not cost the government a cent, all costs paid out pocket. For that reason, I favor US style insurance health care or even better Swiss style which Obamacare is based on

[If you do not have hospital cover with an Australian registered health fund on the 1st of July following your 31st birthday and then decide to take out hospital cover later in life, you will pay a 2% loading on top of your premium for every year you are aged over 30.

For example, if you take out hospital cover at age 40 you will pay 20% more than someone who first took out hospital cover at age 30. The maximum loading is 70%] http://www.privatehealth.gov.au/healthin...hcover.htm

Post Reply Post Reply
It's all a question of economics, Zonk. They want young healthy people to take out insurance to help subsidise us decrepit oldies. If everybody waits till they're old and sick, the funds will not have enough money to cover us and all our procedures. It's the same for all types of insurance - careful drivers subsidise those who have a crash. So they've put in place an "incentive" to take out insurance early in life. Depending on your viewpoint, an incentive for one person is a penalty for others.

I don't know anything about the Swiss health system, but from what I've read about the American one (pre-Obamacare) it's not a model I'd want to follow. Our system is far from perfect but at least people in Australia don't face a choice between going bankrupt or dying.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2014, 10:13 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: IOur system is far from perfect but at least people in Australia don't face a choice between going bankrupt or dying.

not sure what you mean going bankrupt or dying.
Post Reply Post Reply
The expenses associated with catastrophic illness or injury can sometimes leave a person and their family members destitute. Their only viable option is to file for bankruptcy.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gut Absorbtion Health? Zoltyzolt 0 90 03-21-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: Zoltyzolt
  React Health Luna G3 CPAP apotter11 3 206 03-01-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Cool [Health] FYI: OSA AND EYE HEALTH srlevine1 2 307 01-27-2024, 01:54 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Benefits of changing masks BreakingBaddd 5 552 10-21-2023, 08:08 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Stimulants - Any Benefits? cmpman1974 22 1,772 07-14-2023, 01:13 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  What changes to maximize therapy benefits? janelleb1985 6 632 05-16-2023, 08:33 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  6 months in, not feeling major benefits. Any advice? :( vegasboy 8 851 04-14-2023, 02:34 PM
Last Post: vegasboy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.