Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any last mintue Questions.
Any last mintue Questions.
So next week I should be going to get fitted for mask and stuff. Any question or things I should ask about. I'm getting the medres 10 with auto set. I was told my pressure is 15% and I should use a face mask. Any suggestion on equipment I should try? Any questions to ask the DME place? Here is your chance to share only if I knew this then Point of view . Thank you in advance.
William
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any last mintue Questions.
I think you mean the Resmed Airsense 10 AutoSet. That is a good machine that is fully data capable. Ask them to put an SD card in it.
*If they do it for no charge, otherwise buy it yourself.
Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board!
Here is some basic information to get you started.  Pay attention to the machine choice section, and be sure you get a fully data capable machine, and ask for an SD card. It seems lately that the card is not being included.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...re-success

As far as masks go, it's a personal choice.  You will need to try on a few different ones.
Ask the DME what their mask exchange policy is.  Most will allow you to exchange a mask within 30 days.

Good Luck, I'm sure others will be along with more advice.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2017, 03:20 PM)Waldorbigbill Wrote: So next week I should be going to get fitted for mask and stuff. Any question or things I should ask about. I'm getting the medres 10 with auto set.
Make sure you know exactly what machine (make and model number) you are supposed to get.

I've never heard of a "medres 10".  Do you mean, perhaps, a Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet?

Quote:I was told my pressure is 15%
I think you mean that the therapeutic setting will be CPAP mode at 15 cm H2O.  Ask for a written copy of the exact prescription and ask for the exact settings the tech sets the machine to.

Also ask that the machine be set up in your presence if possible. And while the machine is being set up, ask the following questions:

1) Are you setting my machine up in CPAP mode or APAP mode? And why?

2) What exactly is my pressure setting?  (In APAP mode, what is my min pressure setting an my max pressure setting?)

3) Are you enabling EPR? If so, what EPR setting have you set? If not, why are you not setting up EPR?  An important related question: Is EPR set up so that I can change the setting if I need to?  (EPR is a patient comfort setting and it should be set up in a way that you can change it without the need to get into the clinical menu.)

4) Are you setting me up with a heated hose? If so, what temperature setting are you using? How do I change it if I find the air coming into the mask is too warm or too cold?

5) Are you setting me up with a heated humidifier? If so, what is the humidifier setting? How do I change it if I find the air coming into the mask is too moist or too dry?

6) Are you setting up the ramp? If so, what are the ramp settings? What is the beginning ramp pressure? What is the ramp time? Is the ramp set to "smart ramp" or "regular" ramp?

7) Tell the tech you want to be able to see your overnight sleep quality data on the machine's LCD and insist that s/he turn this feature on and show you how to access it.

If they've already set the machine up before delivery, make sure you still ask all those same questions because knowing how all these things are set up helps us (and your DME and your sleep doc) do the necessary troubleshooting if/when you run into the standard bumps in the road during your adjustment period.

Quote:... and I should use a face mask. Any suggestion on equipment I should try?
Masks are in the nose of the user.  Insist on trying on at least 2 masks with your machine running at full pressure for at least 5 minutes or more before committing to saying "This mask will do."  If it's possible to lie down (even on the floor) while trying on the mask that's even better.

Also make sure you fully understand all the rules concerning the DME's mask return policy. It is a rare new paper that doesn't return a mask or two during the first several weeks of therapy. Make sure you know exactly what their policy is. And if a mask is NOT working out, don't let them con you into trying it for a few more days only to find out that you can no longer return the mask and get another one for free.

Quote:Any questions to ask the DME place? Here is your chance to share only if I knew this then Point of view . Thank you in advance.
William
Bring a set of questions in writing and refer to it when you are talking with the tech who is setting up the machine and the salesman who will complete the paperwork for the billing. Write down exactly what they tell you about your machine's settings.  Insist that they give you a copy of your prescription for your records.

Be sure you understand exactly how your insurance will pay for your equipment. Be sure you understand what your financial obligations are. Ask for a replacement schedule for the "consumables"---i.e. make sure you know how often you can get replacement filters, hoses, masks, and headgear.

Be sure you understand who to call if/when you run into problems.

Be sure you understand exactly how your compliance will be monitored. Also ask if the DME will be looking at all the efficacy data or only the usage data. If the DME says they'll look at all the efficacy data, ask them what they will do if the data shows that you are experiencing serious leaks and/or if your AHI remains too high after the first week or so of usage.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
Robysue did a mighty fine job!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for that reply RobySue! i have printed your reply so that when my Dr. gets around to giving me a prescription I will be fore armed with this info! And thanks to the OP for this question.
Shift Worker
Thanks
"Right wrongs nobody" 
Mountain Charlie McKiernan 
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are entering into some type of insurance/rental deal for the equipment make sure you get everything on their paper you paid for and make sure you have a copy when you leave.

Make sure if you are charged for a "Fit Pak" you get all the sizes so if they are wrong you can try them later. (The DME sized me wrong on everything they gave me and they will take the "Fit pak" extras and resell them or use them for fitting etc while billing you or your ins for them.)
They should all be in sealed sturdy packages from Resmed, not some little ziplock bag that was pulled from the package.

I would suggest making sure you know the whole deal on insurance and copays, whatever, before you get there. I have never been given an answer from the DME about anything that was correct and especially not any about insurance.

Depending on your insurance situation it can sometimes be cheaper to simply purchase outright  from a good vendor.
Post Reply Post Reply
Call your insurance *before* you go there, and ask:
- what your out-of-pocket will be (because the dme will either lie or not know), so you can beware of what you're signing
- how long you'll be paying on the machine and if you'll own it at the end (ie: my insurance requires a 13 month rental, and I own it at the end)
- does your insurance require compliance (ie: mine does not, but neither of the dmes I have used have known that; so I said no-thanks the modem, and have turned airplane mode ON on my machine)

Get copies of all paperwork you sign!

Ask how you'll get re-supplies. Are they willing to mail it to you?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Used all the questions today they were helpful. Maybe they should be add as a cheat sheet for people. Got everything next step go home and try it out tonight. Only thing concerns me is the pressure is 15 so it seems high but it will take a few days to get use to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
They would have set it to your prescription, get the clinical manual and sleepyhead from the link at the top of the page. With a 15 set pressure, I would use auto min12-max18 to start with and see where it lands
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 155 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 307 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  My treatment fun. Questions. robbob2112 15 1,594 10-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie questions - What am I seeing? lmftit 0 358 09-04-2023, 04:44 PM
Last Post: lmftit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.