Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Battery setup
RE: Battery setup
That would be why we don't recommend having the converter hooked to the batteries when the charger is hooked up.
Better to switch the battery between the charger and the converter.
A well regulated supply and a powergate is recommended.

29.5V is too high for charging SLA/AGMs. Is that battery tender specifically for SLA/AGM?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2017, 09:23 PM)justMongo Wrote: That would be why we don't recommend having the converter hooked to the batteries when the charger is hooked up.
Better to switch the battery between the charger and the converter.
A well regulated supply and a powergate is recommended.

29.5V is too high for charging SLA/AGMs.  Is that battery tender specifically for SLA/AGM?

It says it is. Nearest I can tell it's got enough power to run the CPAP in float mode too, which may limit how much charging this setup sees anyway. We'll see if I end up burning out power supplies, but I kinda have to believe the resmed power supply is made for this.   Eat-popcorn     

http://imgur.com/IeT45dF

http://imgur.com/ER7f9Lt
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2017, 08:57 PM)Jrw1 Wrote: I got it setup.  Predictably the voltage is a little high while charging 29.5V, but the resmed power supply seemed to handle it. Long term I'm not sure if that will cause me to burn up power supplies or not. Maybe it's made for it  Dont-know    

http://imgur.com/I6EjH9R

How are you measuring the 29.5 V?  Are you using the Kill-a-Watt apparatus you mentioned for that?

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
OMyMyOHellYes Wrote:How are you measuring the 29.5 V?  Are you using the Kill-a-Watt apparatus you mentioned for that?

OMMOHY

Fluke 115 DMM to the battery posts. Just to clarify it's not always 29.5 volts. If I let the batteries drain a little and then hook up the charger, it will start out at ~29V, then when it hits 29.5ish, I think the battery tender decides it's full and turns to float around 26V. Theoretically it shouldn't be dumping 2.5 amps into a nearly full battery which might explain the over-voltage, but maybe it does it for a little bit to determine it's full.

I think I've seen 14.6-14.8 on a 12V system, so 29+ out of 2 12 volt batteries as part of a 24V system doesn't surprise me. The other battery tender config listed in the manual had 2 12V chargers in parallel with each battery...that gets you to 29.6V (+14.8 and -14.8).  

I may see about wiring up a voltmeter and an Ammeter, just so I can easily evaluate what it's doing. It ran off the float charger all night last night. From a battery perspective this setup is nearly ideal as the batteries remain at 100% and the charger runs the machine. 

Jay
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 105 4 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,678 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,824 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
Thumbsup NEW MEMBER INFO: GET YOUR OWN [secret] CPAP SETUP MANUAL SuperSleeper 1 1,941 02-17-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 249 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
Question [Equipment] Proprietary Dreamstation Battery Cables? NorthernGuy 25 11,438 01-19-2024, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Pastrywagon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.