Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

4 days in
4 days in
Hey everyone, my name is Dalton. I am in my late 20s and just started CPAP treatment for what i would call moderate sleep apnea that I've had for 8-10 years.  I'd like to first thank everyone on this forum for putting together a wealth of information on this subject and it has been incredibly helpful to me and I'm sure many other people. 

Late last week I purchased a secondhand machine with humidifier and new mask. Unfortunately even though I recognize just how vital a sleep study is to diagnosing this, I had to forgo that part of the process as there is no way I can possibly afford to have one done, and no way for me to afford a new machine. I am calling this a "proof of concept" for me and hope to be able to afford a sleep study within a year as well as securing a new machine, preferably with auto-pap function. Basically, it was getting so severe that it scared me to be honest so hopefully this will get me by while I save up. Money can get incredibly tight for a small business owner. 

I have no base-line since I did not have a sleep study but my first night trying it I slept roughly 11 hours with an AHI of 18 with 100% fit. This number has decreased to 10.2, 7.7, and last night it was 2.5. For at least 5 years I have woken up nearly every single hour all night long and the first night I slept roughly 2 hours at a time, the second about 3 hours, and the third 5 hours, but tonight went backwards for the first time with me waking up every 2.5 hours or so. I feel much more rested but this struck me as odd. I would love to be able to sleep through the entire night for a change and I'm hoping with more use I will continue to improve. 

My biggest complaints so far is the swallowing of air and the first 2 nights waking up periodically with an incredibly dry throat. The mask itself doesn't really bother me and was easy enough to get accustomed to since I'm already used to wearing a respirator every day for my job. The air pressure seemed very harsh at 9cm and then adjusted to my current 12cm but with the ramp feature and c-flex I was able to fall asleep and upon waking up, now the 12cm is hardly noticeable to me and even had me doubting that it was working correctly a few times. The first 3 nights my sinuses felt uncomfortable when I woke up, but I think that is subsiding as well. 

Obviously I'm just beginning this journey but I already feel that it was a great decision and feel so relaxed now when I'm going to sleep. I was worried because It seems that most people hate the treatment, at least at first, but i haven't really had any major issues with it. I can only assume that this is because I went into it on my own will as opposed to someone telling me I have to do it, and I've Been optimistic the entire time. 

I find it fascinating to look at the data every morning at a glance on dream mapper and then in more detail with sleepy head later when I get home. 

I guess that's all. hopefully nothing I've done jumps out at anyone as being stupid because I've tried to go about it in the smartest way that I can.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 4 days in
Welcome to the forum. Glad to see your making some progress. Please be prepared to post some SleepyHead data and we will be able to advise you on optimizing your therapy. As you are aware, your machine is somewhat limited, but a different pressure may be better. You will need at least 3 moreposts before you can post data. So respond to me and then post a couple of more times with any questions you may have.

See the links below for how to organize and post your data.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. I will make some other posts so I can do that. I'm still learning to use sleepy head but I'll get it figured out and use the links to get it organized so I can get some input. Anything to make the experience even more effective would be great
Post Reply Post Reply
Be sure to use the beginner's guide link below if you haven't already. If you have specific questions about SleepyHead, please post them in the software support forum.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.

look at the links in my sig for good general information.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SDC Painter,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and good luck to you with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both. I am working on organizing my data on sleepy head but I've noticed I do not have all of the data that is in the guide, such as flow rate. Could it be that my particular machine doesn't provide that information like newer ones?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2017, 08:45 PM)SDC Painter Wrote: Thank you both. I am working on organizing my data on sleepy head but I've noticed I do not have all of the data that is in the guide, such as flow rate. Could it be that my particular machine doesn't provide that information like newer ones?

Your machine shows Flow Limit as an Event (FL).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] New User; Fine Tuning- First 3 Days of Data jgthegrouch 9 422 01-16-2024, 02:25 PM
Last Post: jgthegrouch
  Abdominal pain from open mouth. 4 days Neo2020 1 343 01-03-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Bad O2 days with APAP? ikwtif 23 1,729 11-21-2023, 04:38 PM
Last Post: BeautifulDay
  [Treatment] Three days using Soft Cervical Collar, AHI 6.73, 4.81, 22.28; makes sense? Aldiorg 9 905 11-15-2023, 12:47 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Airsense 11 doesn't write SD data on some days only chipschap 7 674 10-07-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: chipschap
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 9 1,096 05-18-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: manders513
Wink [CPAP] SD CARD NOT SHOWING RECENT 12 DAYS * SOLVED * Samultra 1 502 05-12-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.