Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to forum, and have a couple questions
New to forum, and have a couple questions
Hello everyone,

I suffer from apnea, mostly when first falling asleep. Occasionally I wake gasping in the middle of the night, but almost every night I seem to wake up from that "twilight sleep" when first going to bed for the night. I did an in-lab sleep study last Summer and was told I did NOT have sleep apnea. It was one of the few nights I didn't have the "gasping while falling asleep" phenomenon. My O2 level during the 3 hours, 17 minutes I slept went to 90 percent. It was not a good night's sleep.

I just made another follow-up appointment at the UT Southwestern sleep lab. I've got to figure out a solution to this. I'm almost too scared to try to fall asleep at night now.

Anyone have a similar experience or have any ideas. I'd like to be armed with information for my upcoming appointment.

Thanks a bunch,
Chris
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to forum, and have a couple questions
Welcome!

It is not unusual for people to experience odd sensations and happenings as the brain moves from awake to asleep.  An event or two like that a night would not qualify for an apnea diagnosis, though I can see how it would be disturbing.

Waking up, gasping in the middle of the night is a common thing when you have untreated sleep apnea.  It is not fun at all.  Mine went away completely on CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
So interesting! I should have used the word "rarely" instead of "occasionally" when referring to waking up in the night with apnea. It happens a few times a year, usually when I'm very congested and can only breathe thru my mouth.

The almost nightly episodes of "waking up" with a hunger for air in that transition from wake-to-sleep are disconcerting. Ironically, if I go to bed after having a couple adult beverages, I do NOT seem to have these episodes. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it.

Chris
Post Reply Post Reply
You could get an oximeter and monitor your nightly blood oxygen levels.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi skysnake,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In a quandry over a couple of things... SheShells23 52 880 12 minutes ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 152 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 268 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 187 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 307 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.