Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Full Face Mask issue
Full Face Mask issue
I have been using an Apex Wizard 220 FFM for 6 months and love it.  Inexpensive mask and replacement cushions.  Great for side sleeping.  But after 6 months the little flap in the joint went south.  So I switched to my new Quattro FX that was a backup.  First night went pretty good.  The next 4 nights I wake up with the bottom cushion in my mouth.  Drives me nuts and of course is not doing the job then.

Last night I decided to put tape over the vent in the Wizard 220 thinking this should be fine unless the electricity goes out and if it did I have heard you'd wake up anyway.  Well, I tried that and it feels a tad stuffy that way.  Not sure why.  So I went to the Quattroo FX, a short while later I woke with it in my mouth again.  Then I switched to my old Apex 210 nasal mask and had bad results with that.  Felt way bad today.

Anyway, until I can get a replacement Wizard 220 I'm thinking I should be ok to use it with the joint vent taped, shouldn't I?

And, though I hesitate to bring this up, is there another mask that is super for FFM?  I know hardly anyone uses the Wizard 220 but I have liked it alot, although I do notice in the morning my lower teeth and gum area does feel the pressure from the night before.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Full Face Mask issue
Sounds like the Quattro may be too small for you if it's pulling up into your mouth.

I had bad luck with leakage on the Quattro Air and the Amara View, but the new Airtouch F20 (brand new, memory foam seal) works wonderfully, though I do have to run it a bit tighter than what would normally be comfortable.
For me, the FF is a backup for when my nose is irritated or I'm too congested for the nasal pillows.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2017, 11:31 PM)CB91710 Wrote: Sounds like the Quattro may be too small for you if it's pulling up into your mouth.
I think the size is ok as it worked ok one nite and it is similar in size to my Wizard 220.  For some reason it gets out of position and or I need to learn to place it better.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I will replace it with another Wizard as they are cheap as is their cushions, although this is still the original cushion after six months of use.  Also, easy to clean and no leaks, great for side sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
The more I think about it I believe I will use the new REsmed mask and try to get used to it for now unless someone can convince me it's safe to sleep without a functioning anti-asphyxia valve on a FFM.  Now that I think about it every mask I used took some adjusting to to get used to, sometime a number of days.  

My thoughts are there's hardly any chance the electricity will go off and if it did I would probably wake up but the uncertainty here is causing me to play it safe. Not unless someone was observing at this point would I want to attempt this.
Post Reply Post Reply
Although I am a newbie here I am not new to sleep apnoea (over 20 years).  My experience is that whenever a power cut occurs (I live in a rural area in England so it happens every few months) I always wake immediately so agree you are also likely to do so.  You will be better to persevere with your Quattro mask I am sure  - once you are used to it you will find it easy to use in the future if you switch masks - just make sure that the lower straps are the correct tightness. 

Do you open your mouth (and breathe through it?) if so that is something best avoided with the Quattro mask if you can. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2017, 12:56 PM)bigtonio Wrote:   

Do you open your mouth (and breathe through it?) if so that is something best avoided with the Quattro mask if you can. Sleep-well

I must open it to some degree because when I used a nasal mask my average lph was 24, while with the FFM my leak rate is now 0 at 95%.

It appears the Wizard mask actually helps to keep my mouth shut the way it's built where the Quattro has less lip support and allows my mouth to open, but I'm guessing on the later.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hate the quattro fx mask. always rides up. tightening just makes it worse. If there were any way to return or try something else, I'd look to do just that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2017, 02:25 PM)dmeRT Wrote: I hate the quattro fx mask.  always rides up.  tightening just makes it worse.  If there were any way to return or try something else, I'd look to do just that.

wasn't sure but i was thinking it was riding up also.  Plus this sucker leaks at the nose unless you fiddle with it forever and then back to leaking.  I want my Wizard 220 again.  It's absolutely perfect in every way.
Post Reply Post Reply
+1 on the f20, Only i'm using the silicon cussion.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 101 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,410 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,372 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Airsense 10 / Oscar clock issue. pixpop 1 102 03-15-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: pixpop
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 514 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,588 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  hypertension issue PaulaO2 19 658 03-04-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.