Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Any relationship to humidity level and AHI?
Any relationship to humidity level and AHI?
Probably a strange question, but I have been playing around with humidity levels to eliminate condensation in the nose cushion on the N20 mask.

two nights ago humidity on manual was 4 and AHI was 6

Last night humidity on manual was 3 and AHI was 2.5 --no condensation by the way and no discomfort with my nose

For the preceding 3 weeks humidity was much higher or on auto and AHI were 1.0 to 1.5 pretty consistently

I'm guessing this increase is a fluke but curious if others might have some thoughts.

thanks,

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any relationship to humidity level and AHI?
I vote for fluke.  But, if the humidity forces an uncomfortable feeling on awakening during the night, you can become more alert, have more sleep disruption, and these can lead the sleep-wake-junk you may have read about.  As we transition to/from sleep, we can have non-sleep apneas or hypopneas, which cause the machine score of AHI to climb.

My machine has a setting of 0 to 5 for humidity, but also has two humidity modes.  I noticed that in the "Classic" mode a humidity of 2 is pretty close to the "System One Humidity" level of 5.  If our circumstances are the same, you might find that your Auto is also well below the manual setting of 4, probably even below the manual setting of 3.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
One night is fluke. Two nights is huh, interesting. Three nights is the starting of a trend.

If the humidity is too low, it could be drying you out which may cause the tissues to be stickier and cause the AHI to go higher. (just a theory)

Almost always, humidity in the mask itself is from you, not the hose. You are breathing warmer, moister air into it than is outside of it so condensation forms. If it were the hose, you could blame it on the humidifier. That's fixed with either a heated hose or wrapping the mask's hose.

I used to have a lot of problem with condensation in my nasal pillows until I started sleeping with a pillow over my head to drown out a noise. It was just enough to warm up the mask.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Appreciate the replies.  On my machine "auto" is 85% humidity which twice cause rainout--water in hose and usually caused more condensation in the mask cushion which while annoying didn't blow water up my nose.

I agree that much of the condensation must be from my body temp air going into the mask.  I have started keeping mask under covers as room temp is around 70.

Aside from jump in Ahi i am very pleased with solving the excess moisture in mask by reducing humidity level and keeping temp at 80.  I assume i could play with the other variable which is lowering/raising the heated tube temp.  Sounds like a excel spreadsheet in the making.

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad to announce AHI fluctuations were a fluke. Last night 1.5

Thanks all
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bi-Level Help, Prisma 25ST Macka 0 80 03-21-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Macka
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,000 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 132 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 454 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 583 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 155 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  For those that have switched from PAP to Bi-level... CPAPnerd 7 430 01-23-2024, 05:26 PM
Last Post: tbhausen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.